Hudl 2 goosed ?

Guest billyboy66

Guest billyboy66

I think my daughters hudl 2 has bitten the dust , It will not get past the initial bootup stage , sometimes freezes at various times whilst doing this on some of the start up items ,the android logo even the hudl logo, somtimes on the hudl logo the star doesn't flash and the tune in the background is stuck on ! ,then tries to reboot , I have even got as far as conncting to wi-fi and it crashes again ,sometimes going into recovery mode without me even selecting it , I have tried the options in recovery mode ie, full system factory restore,wipe cache etc and nothing works , it still hangs on the bootup . It appears to hold charge ok . Is it fit for the bin or can the operating system be reinstalled to save it or would rooting fix it ? not sure how to enable the de-bugging thing as it won't get that far . My pc knowledge is very basic , please go easy on me lol.

thanks in advance

Edited by billyboy66
spelling

Has it has the latest update to Lollipop or is  it still running KitKat? If it's still on the older KitKat you could try following this thread

to flash Paul's rooted kitKat image, the 20150106.154003 (r1) image works with KitKat versions from 20150106.154003 to 20150529.110309, but be absolutely certain it's not updated itself to Lollipop - flashing Paul's image will brick the device if it has. Not sure if there was a KitKat update after the 20150529.110309 release, if so it may work or may not.

Guest billyboy66

thanks very much for taking the time to reply . It has android build 20150917.142239 which does not fall within the range you gave , would this mean it has the Lollipop update ,how could I find out as it won't let me access anything being stuck in this bootloop ?

I think that's Lollipop, maybe someone with that build will be able to confirm - don't try flashing that KitKat image, it'll brick your Hudl2. Afraid I don't have any other ideas unless you can find an image for your build.....

Guest billyboy66

thanks Spencer , really appreciate your help with this , would the best way to flash this ,save it to an sd card and apply it in the recovery mode selecting the sd card option ?

Guest billyboy66

OK . tried it spencer and it didn't work , i'm getting thin vertical green lines occasionaly flashing on the screen too . thanks for your help tho and I bet it will help others out .

Guest robin0800

On 15/02/2016 at 9:38 PM, billyboy66 said:

OK . tried it spencer and it didn't work , i'm getting thin vertical green lines occasionaly flashing on the screen too . thanks for your help tho and I bet it will help others out .

The OTA Lolipop Files are here ......

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/373642-how-to-root-your-hudl-2/?page=29

The large one should work.

Guest SergeyP

I've got the same problem shortly after updating to Lolipop, the tablet doesn't boot up.

First it was just permanently getting stuck at the Hudl logo stage but after doing factory reset it now loads up to the Hudl logo and then restarts itself.

After a couple of restarts it automatically opens the recovery menu for me (without me pressing Volume Up button) so I guess it somehow realises it's broken.

I tried the image from the links above but it says "E: failed to verify whole-file signature" and aborts the update.

The android-build version in the tablet is 20150917.142239 so should match the version of the file (hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip) but still doesn't work for me due to this "signature verification failed" error.

Any ideas if the tablet can be fixed at all? Sadly it passed the 1 year warranty recently, otherwise I'd just return it to Tesco :(

The tablet has never been rooted.

Guest robin0800

You can't flash the small file but the 1 meg zip file flashes perfectly using the stock recover

Suggest you re-download, copy to sd card, power off.

Hold volume up as you power on the hudl, when it starts release both buttons.

It should boot to stock recovery, choose apply update from external storage.