Hudl 2 Lollipop OTG - Possible Workaround

Guest AdeSmile

Guest AdeSmile

I have 2 Hudl 2s, both updated to Lollipop. One works fine with OTG, one does not, therefore I know all my OTG cables and USB devices should be working with both Hudls.

I spent a day trying to get OTG to work and I think I have found a workaround. It's not a perfect solution, I'll explain later, but try this:

1) enable USB Debugging in Developer Options

• (to enable Developer Options) goto Settings > About Phone and tap Build Number several times
  • (to enable USB Debugging) goto Settings > Developer Options and enable USB  Debugging

2) Turn off Hudl (Full off, not just Standby)

3) Charge to 100%

4) Turn on Hudl and try OTG and it might just work, for a bit.

Why work for a bit? When charge falls to 93%, OTG stops working.

You might find you can skip steps 2 and 3 and just charge to 94+%, but for consistent, reproducible results please do follow the above.

Hope this helps.

Edited by AdeSmile

I can confirm this method does work and further testing allowed me to continue connectivity beyond 93% with an external power supply (BlackBerry 3 pin wall charger) plugged in to my multi OTG cable. As soon as l disconnected the power at 89% connection to my external USB stick was lost, l suspect it would maintain connection for the life of the battery charge with an external power supply. ( The connected charger doesn't charge the H2 just maintains the OTG connection)

The question remains why do we have USB OTG at full charge and then lose it at 93%.

As stated in another post on the subject I am in a wrangle with tesco over loss of USB OTG with lollipop update!

Update

When I disconnected the external power supply at 89% the video I was using to test stopped working and I was notified USB OTG was lost. 

After posting my findings above  I discovered that I still had USB OTG connectivity and was able to continue watching the video without the external charger and with the charge showing 78%. 

Then I decided to unmount and remount the USB stick which worked successfully several times. 

Next I put the H2 in standby (turned the screen off) when I turned it back on I could not get the USB stick to mount again, so it seems you can maintain USB OTG indefinitely during your current session but you are back at square one after standby or reboot.

Edited by H2POS
Update

• 1 month later...
Guest AdeSmile

It's been a while since I first posted my idea of a workaround to the Hudl 2 OTG problem.

Many thanks to H2POS for such a thorough reply. This made me think that a more permanent solution would be to have some kind of OTG adaptor that would allow simultaneous charging and USB access.

At the time of the first post (Feb'16) I couldn't find anything, but now I think there is a buyable option.

I have purchased http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131728393419 that seems to allow charging and USB access.

I'll post the results once it arrives.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest davidm_uk

Any update on this, does it work?

I want to connect my camera to the Hudl 2, and then use a file manager on the Hudl to backup the photos from the camera to the SD card in the Hudl. The OTG cable I had worked fine before the Lollipop upgrade, but I've tried the first two options suggested above, but they didn't work for me.