Here's how to configure adoptable storage on your S7 / S7 Edge

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest _xdm_

Is this process able to work on the Samsung galaxy express prime? I have a Samsung 64gig evo and would like to use this for that but without messing it up in anyway. I'm running 6.0 marshmallow but whenever I go to my SD card I don't have an option to merge it to my internal only to mount.

Guest DonnFerdie

Hi. Please help. I can't figure out how to do this on my Macbook El Capitan OS.

I have already downloaded the Android Studio app for Mac.

When I try to enter "adb shell" on my terminal it says "command not found". 

Have I skipped a step? How do I make my Mac "adb" working. Thank you!

Guest linus1

Great post, thanks. This worked fine for me. :)

A couple of points I would make having seen the follow up comments and questions. 

I do feel that people need to learn and understand what they are doing when attempting something like this, and understand the pros and cons of Adaptable Storage also. 

You need to install Android Debug Bridge pack :

You need to go into Settings - Developer options - enable USB debugging. Then when you connect your phone to computer via USB your phone should now appear in Device Manager (under Android Device).

Follow the OPs guide, I used the option of sm partition disk:179, 0 mixed 50

Which resulted in : 

Screenshot_20160428-085408[1].png

PC1.png

Click on SD card (Device Storage instance), click More, select Migrate Data. This will start coping data from Internal Storage to the SD card.

(You can also rename the partition if you wish to make it clear it’s the adaptable storage card)

Screenshot_20160428-085725[1].png

Once this is completed you will see the change in storage both on your phone and on your PC :

Screenshot_20160428-092722[1].png

PC1.png

The approach to Adaptable Storage is interesting, but ultimately I don't think its for me, at least not currently. I like the idea of having control over what apps are on my internal storage and which are on my SD card, and I can do this by manually moving them. 

To undo this process :Click on Internal Storage, click More, select Migrate Data.

This will migrate from the SD card back to Internal Storage, you can then remove the SD card, reformat it or do what you want with it. 

PLEASE NOTE - I found this to work for me but please make sure you understand what you are doing and are confident in what you are doing! Also, I knew nothing about this subject until 12 hours ago, I read the original post and it piqued my interest and so I went off and read about it. Please consider doing the same so you can understand what you are doing with your phone rather than following a set of instructions :)

Guest Kyle_C

It does not actually work. They still keep installing apps into internal storage and afterwards when it is full it still complains about having not enough space.

Guest CandiAnne

I've followed the instructions to the letter twice and after my phone reboots it tells me that Process System isn't working, when I go to storage it shows me the 32gb that phone came with and under SD Card it shows Checking

My disk shows up as 179,0 

This isn't working for me any ideas ???  S7 Edge from AT&T

Guest Jonesey66
On 3/10/2016 at 3:37 AM, Brownstone1892 said:

Bit stuck here Paul, I get the following:

1|shell@hero2lte:/ $ sm list-disks
disk:179,0
shell@hero2lte:/ $ sm partition disk:179,0 private
Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Thread Binder_B gave up waiting for partitionPrivate after 180000ms

Could someone please point out the source of my idiocy?

Many thanks,

BS...

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you find resolution for this problem?

Guest TheBrainW

Just did this to my Sony Xperia Z2. Had to do a mixed Setup. Otherwise the Camera refused to work and the available storage was calculated very wrongly (it was at -2354654641...GB). Still seems a bit off.

yfMXI0iN938nFrGzT6VkuceHgPwCgQZyeO5GOILu

Guest JEUMERC

Hi, I have a problem after doing this. Im using Exynnos S7 edge. My Camera BURST MODE has been defective after. It is annoying because it gets bricked if I accidentally press the shoot buttons for a long time. Anyone got the same problem? 

Guest sk8rphink

I think I did this properly, but I've decided I'd like to undo it before I install too much else on here, format my SD card, and go back to the regular way. Is that called Portable Storage or is Portable Storage a third option? Can someone please tell me how to revert everything back? I'd like all my apps to go on the internal storage by default and all of my camera's pictures and videos to go to the SD card. Thanks in advance.

Guest robbyrobaz
On 4/22/2016 at 7:06 AM, SPAMdude said:

This place is a ghost town....

you are using CAPITAL "DISK" when it's lowercase "disk".   Linux is case sensitive.

Guest Olympus

I've done the steps to adopt storage, it worked on an SD card that has a slow write speed and because of this I was having camera issues, wouldn't take video sometimes, and speedburst would not function causing a force closed so........ I bought a Samsung plus with 90 read and 80 write speed but when I attempt to adopt it as storage the card becomes unreadable and I get a message on my phone saying no Sim detected or something. 

I had to perform a factory reset on my phone just to be able to read the sd card so I could format it. Unless I performed a disk format on my phone the card was unreadable on any device or computer. Here's the high speed sd card 

20160506_172738.jpg

Guest gabriel0898
On 03/04/2016 at 9:49 PM, tigerbat said:

I keep running into this issue. I'm following all the steps is there something I'm doing wrong?

Screenshot_2016-04-02-17-14-30.png

I got the same error :-/ Did you find the solution ?

Guest gabriel0898
On 13/04/2016 at 9:05 AM, rgaspa77 said:

Everything seemed to work,

But when i checked storage the 1/2

I assigned to the device shows corrupted, I formatted and it when back to SD no problem, 

Tried to split again same result 1/2 SD good , 1/2 device corrupted

Any ideas?

I have the same problem, im trying to find the solution on internet but i didnt find anything about it....

Guest psyscope

I think if you are having a corrupted partition. Remove the sd card and connect it to a computer and wipe it.  Try again. Also how old and how fast is your card?

Guest sinikal

Ok so this is what i got from doing this. No issues at all except all my downloads do not go to my SD card automatically. They still install onto the internal storage. Prior to doing this method, you were able to move apps to the SD card manually but the apps would still stay on the internal storage as well thus not really freeing up your internal storage. After doing this method, i noticed, as i stated earlier, that my apps were still being installed onto the internal storage so i decided to manually start moving my downloaded apps to my SD card only this time they were not staying on my internal storage thus freeing up space! 

so yes technically this does work but after you download and install apps, u have to manually move them to the SD card and your internal storage will be free of the downloaded apps. 

this is a response to people who have storage capacity issues. Basically u need to manually move the apps to the SD after installing them and that should free up your internal storage

Guest davidatscpc

I use a lot of apps, but I don't do gaming on my mobile. I'm thinking of upgrading to the S7 and getting the 32GB version. Would it be best to fully adopt a fast SD card, or split it 50/50?

Guest sun-drop

aside from the already mentioned total storage mis calc ... this works perfectly .

thanks paul.

after you choose to migrate .. all photos and ocos etc are moved to the SD card adopted storage .. and apps are left to your choice via sytems settings ... i've fold prob 60% of my apps gave me the option to move, the cool thing is they move in total, not just partly as we have seen before.

but as others have said, i prefer to leave my apps on true internal for speed reasons and not wanting to risk the life span of my SD card.

but the big win here is how the gallery and camera app work post migration .. they default to SD card storage, new pics and video taken i can see being saved to the new Sd  card 'internal' ... and the bonus here is that google photos now gains back rights to delete these. prior it was forcing me to launch the gallery app to delete media on my regular SD 'external' storage.

just need now to check how my torrent app works re download location after moving it to SD card ..

thanks!!!

Guest hostile

Had 128GB sandisk card

Thats aftermatch

Is that correct?

Internal is 118GB not 128

Wheres 32Gb real internal gone 

Is that any better then stock? Looks messed up tho.

Wheres 256GB came from. Guess bug

Screenshot_20160524-154601.png

tapatalk_1464140121992.jpeg

Guest kelven.huai

Hi Paul,

I've followed your process to configure S7 adoptable storage successfully, you can see the attached pic1,pc2; but for the pic3 ,why was the Apps -55927548.00B? Can you please explain why? And if possible, can you please tell me how to fix it? Additionally, I don't want to root my device.

Thanks

pic3.pngKelven

pic1.png

pic2.png

Guest TenaciousJ

I tried this on a tmobile snapdragon based s7 edge using a 128gb samsung uhs-1 sd card.  My result is that after running sm partition disk:179,0 private the phone goes into a 'checking mode' on the sdcard and reboots itself, hten after a long time still checking reboots again.  It's also curious that doing this puts the phone into a 'custom unlocked' mode and does not allow o/s updates any longer because of the 'custom' o/s install.  

At no point was the sdcard storage ever available for use this way.  After rebooting, checking adb shows the following:

shell@hero2qltetmo:/ $ sm list-volumes
private mounted null
private:179,2 checking a8628e14-535a-4196-a11a-7e662af35fe5
emulated mounted null
privatemode unmounted null

and that's where it stays.. 

Am i just being impatient or is this messed up somehow in a way I can fix without breaking the o/s?

edit: I also started getting 'process system isn't responding - wait or close' errors after rebooting.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest evilsanta8585

Ok so i got adb i got fastboot, but every time i type in adb shell this comes up

C:\Users\Dawid>adb shell
error: device '(null)' not found

C:\Users\Dawid>

If i type in adb a bunch of s*** comes up so i do have it

What do i do HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.