Here's how to configure adoptable storage on your S7 / S7 Edge

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tuckero0

I have a J500Y running 6.0.1 marshmallow and after installing adb, enabling usb on phone to computer, I run the commands and instead of it taking any amount of time it just enters a new blank line of adb editor. I reboot phone and nothing changed. Does this process work for my model or was it only ever meant to have like 500 mb of storage??

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2016 at 3:04 PM, Koocha said:

You've fixed the one thing that's putting me off buying the Edge,  thanks. 

My question is one you probably won't know the answer to, but please speculate:

If I do this and Samsung release an update, can they reverse it all? If so,  that'll make the phone unusable, yes? It'll need a factory reset? 

It's February 2017 now, and US carriers are about to start rolling out Android Nougat. This question is especially relevant now: what happens if you use this hack and then update to Android Nougat? Koocha needs to know. I need to know. The world needs to know.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tatoline

Work like a charm! Thank you. But it seems there is 125,9GB data (2,1GB free space of 128GB) on the phone although there is only 29,89GB.

By the way: errors I get when I try to do this tutorial and how I solved them.

Error -1-: 'adb' is not recognized as an internal command...
Solution: I downloaded and setup "Android Studio with SDK". It automatically update the SDK. Then I wrote them to command: 

set ANDROID_PLATFORM_TOOLS="C:\Users\tatoline\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools"
set ANDROID_TOOLS="C:\Users\tatoline\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\tools"
set path=%path%;%ANDROID_PLATFORM_TOOLS%;%ANDROID_TOOLS%

Error -2-: error: device unauthorized. or 'sm' is not recognized as an internal or external command...
Solution: I go to Developer Option on my phone and click "Revoke USB debugging authorizations". Then I write "adb kill-server" and "adb start-server". After that when I reconnect my devices to pc, a verification pop up on my phone screen.

photo_2017-02-19_21-42-34.jpg

photo_2017-02-19_21-42-40.jpg

Guest tatoline

UPDATE: This process is totally useless now, don't do it guys.

He said "When you install apps, they will generally install automatically to the storage with the most space available". But this is not true. Apps are installed automatically to device storage (like a normal install process), and if the app you installed is movable, so you can go App Manager and move it to SD card (like a normal move process). But if the app not movable the SD card, so you cannot move it to SD card. So this is a useless method to move, non-movable apps to SD card.

Also you can't see your SD card and copy something from your pc to in it (like the author said) if you didn't separate private part. So this process isn't just neutral, it's totally negative thing: Your apps are NOT installed the SD card, also you can't see your card on computer either.

Guest cadeeja

Hey Paul, hope you're well...

I need your advice on the migration of the sd card. I can't get adb to set it private. I have the S7 and an EVO+ 128 GB.

I succeeded under Marshmallow to set the card private mixed 50. When the update to Nougat was here, I formatted the card and re-installed everything appwise when I needed to.

Now I'm running out of built-in space because I installed quite some Oculus stuff and wanted to set the card for internal storage again... nothing. After going through with the routine nothing changes. I tried mixed, whole, formatted the card in my laptop, in my cellphone, tried adb even with the card unmounted... whatever I could think of. 

After sm list-disks and sm partition disk:179,0 private still same old.

I checked with sm list-volumes as well and am always told private mounted null. S7 settings say the same. Full SD external storage.

Do you perhaps have any clue what I might be doing wrong or is it maybe Android 7.0 (Vodafone Germany, Marshmallow was by them as well, no custom flash).

I hope you will read this.

Thank you in advance.

Unbenannt.JPG

Guest Hobbelobban

I keep getting error: no device found

I can see both the internal as well as sd storage of the phone in the file explorer

Phone is Samsung S7 SM-G930F and I have verified it is set in USB debugging mode.

Windows 10

Please help.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest seferon666

Good  day , look like this will work on Android 6 only  , i was tried do same think on my Galaxy S 7  Android 7.0 Edge  T-Mobile USA and no luck. Any other ideas for this, please . Thank you.

Guest maaz tahir

Does this with with samsung galaxy on5? It runs on android 6.0.1 and has an annoyingly small 2 gb that you can use for apps and stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest nanito13

alright THIS IS GETTING ANNOYING !!

OUT OF SPACE problem

i can install apps from the store normally and update them and use camera etcc 

but whenever i try i install a custom apk file it says out of space what did i do wrong reply please :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mancer.it
On 29/3/2017 at 6:20 AM, maaz tahir said:

Does this with with samsung galaxy on5? It runs on android 6.0.1 and has an annoyingly small 2 gb that you can use for apps and stuff.

Yess, it does work on S5, I just did it on mine

But curiously DID NOT work on my Galaxy Tablet S (both running Marshmellow 6.0.1)

I wonder why...

• 1 month later...
Guest skywalkerss

I succeded to install all this on my Samsung S5, but suddenly everything went bad ( maybe after an android update... ).

Now I've lost half of the size of my Sd card.... How can reverse everything?

Guest skywalkerss

Please help: I tried everything to cancel these bloody partitions, but no success... I can see the public half, but not the private one.

It seems it is almost impossible to make any change on it, either with the card in the phone than with the card in a reader... It seems locked.

I had a 128 GB Samsung card that costed me a lot, and now I have only a 40 gb one....

Guest devilkkw

Thank you for article,nice done!

For user with rooted phone there are an option for done it only with phone.

You need to have busybox and one terminal emulator app.

STEP:

unmount sdcard

run your terminal emulator app.

type "su" and grant superuser access.

follow instruction on the frist post.

DONE!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest gustavo zaera

Hi there! 

I had the adoptable storage working on my S7 Edge until I got it back from repair.

Now, I am not able to set the adoptable storage by following Paul O'Brien's howto:

I simply get this:

hero2lte:/ $ sm list-disks
disk:179,0
hero2lte:/ $ sm set-force-adoptable true
hero2lte:/ $ sm partition disk:179,0 private
hero2lte:/ $ sm list-volumes
private mounted null
public:179,1 unmounted 6F61-FE60
emulated mounted null
hero2lte:/ $ sm has-adoptable
false

I have tried everything, from wiping the SD card on my linux laptop to formatting it with my laptop, with the phone and through adb. No luck. 

Any suggestions are highly appreciated! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any reason this wouldn't work with a samsung galaxy j7 perx with nougat and boost as the carrier?  I don't know anything about phone software and I don't know where to begin to answer my question.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JPSailboat

Paul O'Brien:

I've tried your instructions on converting an sd card to adoptable storage, using a Boost Galaxy J7 Perx phone, running nougat 7.0, and a 16 GB SD card, but it didn't work.  the command line ran through a dozen or so lines that seemed to work, but then the code looks like it undid what I'd done.  Attached are the screenshots of the command line results (5 pages as jpg's).  the last few lines were me trying to repeat the partition command without even the limited success I had the first time.

Any advice appreciated!

JP

command line code 2.jpg

command line code 3.jpg

command line code 4.jpg

command line code 5.jpg

command line code.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mharisp

Paul O'Brien:

I've tried your instructions on converting a sd card to adoptable storage, I am using a Samsung Note 4 SM-N9100, running Andriod 6.01. and a 32GB SD card, it worked, but I am unable to move any apps to the SD card,I have used  adb  PM set install location 2 as well, still, most of the apps are installing to the Phone memory. I am really left out with no space on my device.

what shall I Do

Any advice appreciated!

• 3 months later...
Guest Toskana

Hi All, probably a stupid question: But after opening the CMD (as admin) I type ADB SHELL I get an error message ("unkown...". How do I start the ADB Shell?

DONE - Found it ... a bit tricky when you do it the first time....

BUT now it runs perfect. THANKS!!!!

Edited by Toskana
DONE

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.