r7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM [EMUI Style] - Honor 7 PLK-L01

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

h7r5big.jpg

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Honor 7 PLK-L01!

READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know.

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs. A MCR release is designed to feel like a stock Emotion UI ROM with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

This ROM is part of the 'Unified Honor ROM' project - ROMs with the same changes are available for all current Honor devices.

A MCR version with a more 'stock Android' like interface is under development.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have a custom recovery (e.g. TWRP) installed. The ROM is installed at your own risk. A wipe IS recommended if coming from a ROM other than MCR or stock. BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE INSTALLATION!

Features

• Based on the B370 custom ROM starter template (you may use MCR as a base for your own ROM)
  • ROM fully optimised with the unique MCR scripts
  • Updated power management policies to reduce instances of 'missing notifications'
  • All apps in ROM updates to latest versions (a considerable saving of over 1GB on /data!)
  • Busybox installed
  • sepolicy patched boot image ready for root
  • selinux permissive
  • Removed 'icons' from /system/themes (themes no longer need to include default icons again)
  • MoDaCo Custom Kitchen (coming soon!)
  • Multi user support
  • Multi window support
  • Preloaded Stockify theme stub
  • Numerous other small refinements - please see the gitlab commits for full details
  • This ROM is completely in version control at gitlab! https://gitlab.com/u/paulobrien/projects
  • Want more tweaks and changes? Post your requests in the support topic.

Changelog

Please see the post below this one for the changelog.

Installation

You should install this ROM on a device that has previously been updated to the B370 release.

To install this ROM:

• Download the zip file from the links below and copy to your internal / external SD card.
  • Restart your device in recovery mode
  • PERFORM A BACKUP FROM THE MENU
  • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to the SD card.

Important Note: As this ROM is partially deodexed, first boot can take a long time. If you have not wiped, you can check for any issues with adb logcat. Be patient!

Downloads

Please do not mirror these downloads elsewhere.

Support

If you have a general question, please post in the topic.

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not guaranteeing that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely.

And finally...

Enjoy! 

P

Guest PaulOBrien

A BETA version of the new MoDaCo ROM kitchen is now available for this ROM.

Points to note:

• The kitchen is currently in Beta testing, ensure you have a backup before applying the ROM.
  • The kitchen is currently running on our test servers - ROMs may take several minutes to be baked for downloading. We are targetting 30 second bake times ultimately.
  • The selection saving and custom zip uploads are currently not operational - these will return in a forthcoming build.

Enjoy! :)

Visit the ROM kitchen.

Guest PaulOBrien

Changelog

r7

• Updated to latest release (B370)
  • Updated to bring ROM in line with other Honor devices, as part of unified ROM project.
  • Preparation for 'stock style' release
  • Application updates

r6

• Fixed multiwindow duplicate entry in build.prop
  • Fixed MCK flash

r5

• Updated all apps
  • Further size and performance optimisations
  • Spectrum MCR theme now included by default - no more icon replacements!
  • MoDaCo Custom Kernel (MCK r2) is now included. Updated to 3.10.101 with ikconfig-pulled stock config
  • Install script now uses rm for improved flash speed
  • Removed unneeded ISO contents (will add new content in future release)
  • Removed preloaded pics (space saving for future features, such as ADB binaries and drivers in the ISO)
  • Corrected several ROM typos
  • Touchplus changes (user request, untested)
  • Multiwindow changes (user request, untested)
  • ROM is now completely in version control - https://gitlab.com/paulobrien/android_mcr_honor_7/commits/mcr

r4.1

• Updated power management policies to reduce instances of 'missing notifications'
  • Camera app launch speed improvements

r4

• Private test release

r3.1

• Updated flashing script to resolve an issue with the boot image not flashing (particularly affects root)

r3

• ROM is now deodexed and Xposed ready (I recommend you disable hwtheme in build.prop if using Xposed)
  • selinux is now set to permissive
  • Integrated latest app updates

r2

• Re-base on B330

r1

• Initial release

Guest TomRanson

Had some issues with this. Booted into TWRP, did a backup, did a wipe, flashed the zip, phone booted to a black screen and stayed there. Now the phone won't get back into the recovery partition for me to restore the backup. I can get as far as FASTBOOT&RESCUE MODE but I can't get it to go to Recovery from there. I've tired to use the Honor Multitool I found on XDA to flash BOOT, CUST, RECOVERY and SYSTEM from the UPDATE.app file from HiHonor but that doesn't seem to be working either. It will send the files across, write them and reboot the phone but then it's just in a boot loop. Any other ideas?

EDIT
So I've recovered it. I flashed all the same files but used the BOOT and RECOVERY images from the B170 update. That's at least allowed me to boot and now I'll go all the way back to stock and OTA update from there to get it just right again. Not sure what went wrong in the first place to make it crash so horribly. 

Edited by TomRanson
Updating the story...

Guest Anas Alkhiamy

I updated version teletext 170 to B180 but became two lift off to honor our beginning screen and re-runs and then Athela to honor the same screen and stays............my device have rooted
sorry my english is no good

pleas help me....

Guest PaulOBrien

r3, based on B330, is now online in the first post! The kitchen will be updated shortly.

A few little stats on space / savings:

Stock B330 install

/system: 90% used, 236.7MB free
/cust: 79% used, 102.1MB free

/data/app: 1.7GB used in stock app version updates!

After MCR optimisation:

/system: 77% used, 574.8MB free
/cust: 74% used, 125.7MB free

This increase in space allows room to integrate the updates.

MCR r3, after MCR optimisation and update integration:

/system: 87% used, 325.7MB free
/cust: 88% used, 58.2MB free

/data/app: none used

The MCR optimisation scripts have been developed over a number of years to optimise the ROM for space and performance, to make savings like this possible. 

Enjoy! :)

P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arcanin

Will this custom ROM be able to get rid of the horrible Huawei UI to replace it with the stock Android interface? Or will it work on top of it?

Guest PaulOBrien

Release r3 of the ROM is now available in the first post and will be updated in the kitchen shortly.

By popular request, from r3 the rom is deodexed. This makes it easier to tweak and hack apps or framework, which will also increase the scope for mods going forward (I have several in development). This makes Xposed compatibility easier too - if you flash Xposed, edit the build.prop first to set hwtheme=0 and you should be set.

Again, by popular request, this ROM now has selinux set to permissive.

Finally, as always, the latest updates have been integrated into /system saving you valuable space on your data partition.

Important Note: As this ROM is deodexed, first boot can take a long time. If you have not wiped, you can check for any issues with adb logcat. Be patient!

You should install this ROM on a device that has previously been updated to the B330 release.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

A quick update on r4, which is in preperation now.

Aside from integrating the latest updates as always, I've started looking at Facebook Redex, which shows some promise for eking out a bit of extra performance from the ROM. We can't just apply it to everything en masse (that doesn't work), but I've started working out how to integrate it into my existing MCR optimisation scripts. FWIW, my existing scripts do a much better job on pure size, but Redex should help in some other regards.

One thing that is really important for me for the ROM is to sort the 'missing notifications' issue - as such I've started a topic discussing it here in the Honor forum. Please have your say, hopefully we can sort it out!

Finally, a lot of changes are being prepared to bring the ROM closer to 'stock Android', around both the content and theming. The real potential of custom ROMs will be unlocked when APKTool works with Honor / Huawei devices, I am liaising with Connor, the APKTool developer, to try and make this happen.

Stay tuned! :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

r4.1 uploaded.

• Camera app launch speed improvements

P

Guest kosmoo

hi

i had 5.0.2 stock rom with stock recovery.

i flashed twrp and su, and then flashed this rom

now i have a bootlop, with stock recovery write error by flashing stock 6.0 or 5.0.2 (b100) with rollback 6to 5.0.2 too.

what can i do now?

pls help.

thanks a lot

Guest 5kyn37
19 hours ago, kosmoo said:

hi

i had 5.0.2 stock rom with stock recovery.

i flashed twrp and su, and then flashed this rom

now i have a bootlop, with stock recovery write error by flashing stock 6.0 or 5.0.2 (b100) with rollback 6to 5.0.2 too.

what can i do now?

pls help.

thanks a lot

You have to be on b330 android 6.0 first not  5.0.2   so if you flash this rom on 5.0.2 you will get boot loop.

Have you backed up using TWRP? if yes do a full restore then update to b330 then flash this rom.

If you did not backup your system, Flash the stock 5.02 and then update to b330 step by step information is provided here

Guest kosmoo

i did not backup system, can`not flash stock rom while came error by 5% and stock recovery say reboot system... :(

i have multi tool, this methode with unbrick can good?

Guest pillock

r4.1 seems to be instantly better at notifications than stock B330. Flashed it with wipe, not changed anything with regard to protected apps or notification access, literally just installed my apps. Straight away I'm getting notifications as expected. Looking good!

Guest PaulOBrien
On 4/20/2016 at 4:20 PM, kosmoo said:

i did not backup system, can`not flash stock rom while came error by 5% and stock recovery say reboot system... :(

i have multi tool, this methode with unbrick can good?

Are you using the dload on SD card method? WITHOUT a USB cable plugged in?

P

Guest PaulOBrien
On 4/20/2016 at 10:47 PM, pillock said:

r4.1 seems to be instantly better at notifications than stock B330. Flashed it with wipe, not changed anything with regard to protected apps or notification access, literally just installed my apps. Straight away I'm getting notifications as expected. Looking good!

Hurrah! :)

P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leeacashman

Hi Paul,

I've just attempted to install the ROM. I'm coming from Android 6.0 with the 330 build so all good there I think! 

The phone has restarted, shown the animated 'Honor' logo, and is now just showing the white Honor logo on the black background. It's been like this for approximately 15 minutes. I know you mentioned first boot can take a while - is this normal mate?

Cheers,

Lee