Hudl 2 charging problems

Guest cathud

Guest cathud

My Hudl 2 is taking several days to charge!  I am using the original charger and cable and installed Battery Monitor Widget to see what was going on.  The ma flow is constantly red and showing minus figures and I often get the message about "insufficient power to charge device".  I did not have this problem before I made the mistake of upgrading the o/s to Lollipop.  If there was a way to return it to KitKat - I would do it, but I believe even a factory reset will not achieve this.  Should I buy a new charge and cable - if so, does it have to be the Tesco one or will another brand suffice.

Would appreciate any advice.  I loved my Hudl when I first had it but I have had nothing but grief since upgrading it.  I swear I can see the battery actually draining when I am using it!  I have trawled various websites and made all sorts of recommendated changes to preserve battery life but I think Lollipop is just a disaster in this respect.

Guest pudpoh

You need to factory reset to sort this out, going from kit kat to lollipop is a huge jump os wise. Unfortunately the upgrades quite often go wrong and poor battery life is a symptom if this. A factory reset should resolve your problem with charging and battery life. In fact you should find your battery life will improve with lollipop.

Guest cathud

I have seen lots of people suggesting factory resets; however, most have said this only fixes the battery problems temporarily.  Considering a factory reset will delete any changes I have made, and remove apps that I have added, it's not something I would want to have to keep on doing.  Do you really think that error message about "insufficient power to charge device" and the red minus figures for the mA reading, are a symptom of the upgrade going wrong rather than either a faulty cable or charger. 

Guest cathud

I have done two factory resets now and the problem is getting worse.  I left it plugged into the mains with only 23% charge left and several hours later I checked it and the charge was down to 14% - it had actually lost charge even though it was switched off!!!  What can possibly be draining the battery if it is switched off?  As it is obviously not charging even though it says it is, and in fact is actually losing charge even though it is powered off, then very shortly I will have a completely dead Hudl 2.

Can anyone out there offer any advice?

Guest Rocket

Have a look at Settings, Battery. Does it say charging on AC or USB? Definitely try another charger and cable. With the device switched off it should certainly be charging even on USB.

I often borrow a Samsung phone charger when at a friend's house and this only supplies 800mA rather than the 2,000mA the Hudl2 requires. I see the insufficient power to charge the device message while using it but if I turn the Hudl2 off it certainly charges.

The fact that moving the charging lead causes different behaviour is pointing to a damaged lead or charging socket....

• 4 months later...
Guest mhardyman

Get an app like ampere and see what current is getting to the Hudl. You'd be surprised at the difference you get by changing cables, chargers etc