Mobile signal up and down

Guest rwalton159

Guest rwalton159

I tried a few roms and then went to stock and upgraded to 5.1.1

I'm noticing the mobile signal is up and down and wondered if this could be related to the stock rom. Do I need to re install?

All helpful comments appreciated

Guest BlueMoonRising
22 minutes ago, rwalton159 said:

I'm noticing the mobile signal is up and down and wondered if this could be related to the stock rom. Do I need to re install?

Usually down to your mobile signal supplier but if you're certain that it's not that then a restart would be my first port of call.

Guest rwalton159

Signal drops to 1 bar. My wife's Samsung phone may have 3 in it. As I type this comment, I have full signal but I'm not at home

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
11 hours ago, rwalton159 said:

You say the signal is up and down, but maybe it's just the representation of the signal which is up and down? Are you referring to problems you are experiencing with your signal, or are you merely going by the signal icon? If the latter, there's no universal standard for the manner in which signal level is represented, graphically. Sorry if I sound unhelpful :)

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest BlueMoonRising
19 hours ago, rwalton159 said:

Signal drops to 1 bar. My wife's Samsung phone may have 3 in it. As I type this comment, I have full signal but I'm not at home

You never said but which mobile carrier do you use? Is your wife on the same?

Guest BlueMoonRising
59 minutes ago, rwalton159 said:

We use talktalk which utilises Vodafone.

Have you checked the APN settings on both phones side by side?

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
10 hours ago, BlueMoonRising said:

Have you checked the APN settings on both phones side by side?

I don't see the correlation between signal degradation, which is caused by the quality of reception of an analogue RF signal, and APNs which are for internet access. He says his calls break up, which has as much to do with APNs as petrol quality has to do with the grip of your car tyres.

@BlueMoonRising - I hope I didn't sound snotty or supercilious with that comment - that was not how I meant it, it's just that the two issues are unconnected and I wanted to make that point. I know you and I have had our "arch enemy" moments at time, and I am sorry if I've reacted badly to you in the past - please forgive me if I've been a moody or snotty old git, I really do know better than to be like that, and I can't bear hard feelings between people :)

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest rwalton159

APN is fine.

Reluctant to root and install rom again as my phone is just as I want it and can't see how flashing rom will make any difference.

Perhaps it would be better if I didn't see the signal bars ☺

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mrflibbles

This started to happen to me since the last update. The mobile signal will sometimes drop to zero for a few moments and then come back. Other times it will stay at zero, you reboot the phone and get full signal !?