[HOWTO] Disable dm-verity, root & navigation bar mod for Cube iWork8 Ultimate & iWork8 Air

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this page instead.

Prerequisites:
You need to have the latest stock firmware (I1-T_V1.1_20160329, I1-TD_V1.0_20160329, I1-TWB_V1.0_20160329, I1-TC_V1.0_20160528, I1-TF_V1.0_20160527, I1-TF_V1.0_20161108, I1-TFB_V1.0_20161114) and TWRP recovery installed.

How to disable dm-verity and remove data encryption:
1. Download zip below suitable for your device and copy it to your device's sdcard.
2. Boot to TWRP recovery.
3. Install zip in TWRP.
4. Select 'Wipe -> Format Data'. Important! This will erase your data including internal sdcard.

http://konstakang.com/devices/cube_iwork8ultimate/stock-disable-dmverity

How to gain root access in Android:
1. Disable dm-verity (see above).
2. Download SuperSU zip and copy it to your device's sdcard.
3. Boot to TWRP recovery.
4. Install SuperSU zip in TWRP.

How to remove screenshot and volume up/down buttons from navigation bar:
1. Disable dm-verity (see above).
2. Download zip below suitable for your device and copy it to your device's sdcard.
3. Boot to TWRP recovery.
4. Install zip in TWRP.

http://konstakang.com/devices/cube_iwork8ultimate/stock-disable-dmverity

Like my work?
btn_donate_LG.gif
Edited by KonstaT

• 1 month later...
Guest ec-blaster

Is there any posibility to make this work for the I1-TWB variant?

I didn't read this post and after flashing TWRP I made the mistake to flash iwork8-ultimate-disable-dmverity-unencrypt.zip .

Now I have a rooted stock firmware but I can't get through the language selection screen, as the touch screen does not work properly.

Guest KonstaT
21 hours ago, ec-blaster said:

Is there any posibility to make this work for the I1-TWB variant?

I didn't read this post and after flashing TWRP I made the mistake to flash iwork8-ultimate-disable-dmverity-unencrypt.zip .

Now I have a rooted stock firmware but I can't get through the language selection screen, as the touch screen does not work properly.

Or just restore nandroid backup you made in TWRP before you started messing with your system...

Added I1-TWB/I1-TF versions to the OP. If someone wants I1-TD version, please upload untouched boot.img (sha1sum 72fb679f78237ccb615104a46998c68dfed83e0f). Edit. Added I1-TD version to the OP.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest ec-blaster
9 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Or just restore nandroid backup you made in TWRP before you started messing with your system...

Added I1-TWB/I1-TF versions to the OP. If someone wants I1-TD version, please upload untouched boot.img (sha1sum 72fb679f78237ccb615104a46998c68dfed83e0f).

Believe me... I've flashed tons of ROMs, and I always make a backup before messing with anything... This time I had a shining new 64GB microSD inserted... So, I have no excuse... :'( :'( but I didn't do the backup...

So, thank you a lot for the files, I'll test it tonight and tell if it worked, hope so.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nai1sirk

Original rom for TWB version

First, a couple of button shortcuts:

Power + Volume up during POST = Enter BIOS
Volume Down after OS selection = enter bootloader

I'm going to assume you read this guide earlier, and messed up touch on the android tablet, or are reverting from a different rom. We'll do a complete reinstall.

About the rom , I found this version of the official rom on Baidu. Not on the official page. I did not make it or edit it in any way, and it may contain snakes for all I know. You have been warned. 

Google mirror: Iwork8 TWB

original link: Baidu iwork8 TWB

password: yzjx

BIOS
Since I had the dual boot BIOS installed already, I did not need to update this.

Select Advanced -> System Component -> OS Image ID -> Android 

Android Install

1. Format a usb stick with gpt partitioning scheme, and create a fat32 partition.

a) In windows, do diskpart -> list disk -> select disk X -> convert gpt -> create part pri -> select part 1 -> format fs=fat32 quick

b) In Linux, use Gparted -> Device -> Create partition table -> GPT -> New Partition -> Fat32 

2. Copy the contents of the folder in the rar file to the root of the usb key

3. Connect the usb key to the tablet, enter the bios and select the "Save & Exit" tab -> Boot Override -> UEFI Built-in EFI Shell

4. Android will be automatically installed.

Follow KonstaT's guide to install TWRP, dmverity-unencrypt, ultimate-navbar-mod and root. As long as you use the twb version of TWRP and dmverity-unencrypt, the touch will still work after you run the navbar mod and root.

Windows Install

This is covered elsewhere on the internet, let me know if you would like a guide for this as well. For TWB you will need to install a different touch driver.

Edited by nai1sirk
typo

Guest KonstaT
59 minutes ago, Radicalx said:

Hi! Is it possible to root I1-TF without flashing twrp, just by using a rooting tool (kingroot,kingoroot etc.)?

No. Dm-verity will prevent device from booting even if single byte is changed on /system partition (that's exactly why I've provided these boot images with dm-verity disabled). Something like systemless root could potentially work even with dm-verity enabled. Sure you can also find some vulnerability you can exploit to elevate root access (and then do your magic with systemless root). None of the one-click solutions will work.

PS. Please don't spam several threads with the same questions.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
15 minutes ago, Radicalx said:

thank you and sorry for the spam.

can i re-enable  Dm-verity if iplace the original boot in the zip and flash it?

Yes, but your device won't boot if you've modified /system partition in any way.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Radicalx

One last thing. You say in step 4 to "Select 'Wipe -> Format Data", why should i do that, isn't that going to delete android os from internal storage?

Guest KonstaT
27 minutes ago, Radicalx said:

One last thing. You say in step 4 to "Select 'Wipe -> Format Data", why should i do that, isn't that going to delete android os from internal storage?

Because stock firmware force encrypts /data partition. Flashing boot image from this thread also disables that (forceencrypt->encyptable).

On 5/31/2016 at 6:57 PM, KonstaT said:

Stock ROM is encrypted by default which means data partition is not accessible in TWRP before you format it (select 'Wipe -> Format Data' - doing a factory reset is not enough). Important! This will erase your data including internal sdcard. It's recommended to do this once when installing dm-verity disabled/unencrypted boot image or flashing a custom ROM (CyanogenMod, Remix OS).

Android lives on /system partition and this doesn't touch that. User installed apps, app data, personal settings, etc are stored in /data partition as well as data stored on internal sdcard (/data/media). Formatting /data is essentially the same as doing a factory reset but it also erases data on the internal sdcard.

Edited by KonstaT

• 1 month later...
Guest Radicalx

Hi to everyone! I have an I work8 air from gearbest,   I tried to unlock bootloader but I realized that it was already unlocked. Then I flashed twpr and dm-verify and formatted data. The problem is that now the tablet boots and stays at a black screen and only shows hour and volume up and down soft buttons. Does anyone has a solution? 

24 minutes ago, Radicalx said:

Hi to everyone! I have an I work8 air from gearbest,   I tried to unlock bootloader but I realized that it was already unlocked. Then I flashed twpr and dm-verify and formatted data. The problem is that now the tablet boots and stays at a black screen and only shows hour and volume up and down soft buttons. Does anyone has a solution? 

Did you flash the right file for your model? You need to have stock firmware that's one of the listed below. Otherwise your device might be from another batch.

On 5/31/2016 at 7:05 PM, KonstaT said:

Prerequisites:
You need to have the latest stock firmware (I1-T_V1.1_20160329, I1-TD_V1.0_20160329, I1-TWB_V1.0_20160329, I1-TC_V1.0_20160528, I1-TF_V1.0_20160527) and TWRP recovery installed.

If you mean by 'black screen' lockscreen. You might have just flashed the wrong file and your touchscreen is not working.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Radicalx

I checked the firmware version and the files I downloaded. It looks like a black lock screen but touch is OK because I can take a screenshot with the touch button. When you say that I flashed wrong file, do you mean dm-verity? 

22 minutes ago, Radicalx said:

I checked the firmware version and the files I downloaded. It looks like a black lock screen but touch is OK because I can take a screenshot with the touch button. When you say that I flashed wrong file, do you mean dm-verity? 

What model is your device? Yes, I meant the dmverity-unencrypt file. Each one is meant for the specific stock firmware version listed under prerequisites.

You didn't flash anything else? SuperSU? Your /system is still untouched? You could just try doing another factory reset in TWRP in case it's just some random glitch.

Edited by KonstaT

31 minutes ago, Radicalx said:

I have 1i-tf , I already did a factory reset but the all the same. I did a backup after flashing dmverity and factory reset. Should I reflash the dmverity or do a restore? The version I already flashed is this https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24659325368664670

Are you sure you had I1-TF_V1.0_20160527 firmware? Or there could be another batch of iWork8 Air devices...

You should make a backup _before_ you start modifying anything. It's not going to make any difference if you restore a backup you made after or reflash the file. Sure you can try that, too. Is your /system still untouched? Restoring the original boot.img won't work either if even single byte is changes thanks to dm-verity. You can still download stock firmware from cube forum and flash stock boot/recovery/system images with fastboot to restore your device. Or you can try flashing CM12.1 or Remix OS in TWRP.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Radicalx

When flashing cm 12.1 are you sure that is needed to delete system, or just data and cache would be enough? 

In twrp I haven't granted write permission only read, does it affect anything? 

I also managed to get to the settings once and change language but I can't get to the home screen .

Is there  a way to undo dmverity by flashing another file? Do anyone know where to find a twpr factory firmware for iwork8 air or can upload an untouched backup from his device? 

Thanks for your help so far 

Edited by Radicalx

35 minutes ago, Radicalx said:

When flashing cm 12.1 are you sure that is needed to delete system, or just data and cache would be enough? 

Thanks for your help so far 

Follow the installation instructions in the third post CM12.1 thread. Formatting /system is there because of the gapps backup script. Formatting /cache (or wiping dalvik cache) is not necessary because that is already formatted as part of doing a factory reset.

35 minutes ago, Radicalx said:

In twrp I haven't granted write permission only read, does it affect anything? 

I also managed to get to the settings once and change language but I can't get to the home screen .

Is there  a way to undo dmverity by flashing another file? Do anyone know where to find a twpr factory firmware for iwork8 air or can upload an untouched backup from his device? 

To undo dmverity would be just to flash the stock boot.img. If your /system is truly untouched, you've only modified boot and recovery (TWRP) partitions so far.

There's nothing that explains your issue, though, unless you had different stock firmware than I1-TF_V1.0_20160527 or you've modified /system somehow.

Edited by KonstaT

• 2 months later...