[DEV][ROM][28.10.] CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) for Cube iWork8 Ultimate & iWork8 Air

Guest KonstaT

Guest thehobit

I'm installing cm-12.1.1-20160814-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-cht_cr_mrd.zip and cm-12.1.1-20160814-cht_cr_mrd-I1-TF.zip on Air model. So far so good.

When I try to install Gapps, I get errors at the end. Playstore still has installed, yet I keep getting "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" when opening Playstore

Any solutions? Thanks

Edited by thehobit

Guest KonstaT
6 hours ago, thehobit said:

I'm installing cm-12.1.1-20160814-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-cht_cr_mrd.zip and cm-12.1.1-20160814-cht_cr_mrd-I1-TF.zip on Air model. So far so good.

When I try to install Gapps, I get errors at the end. Playstore still has installed, yet I keep getting "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" when opening Playstore

Any solutions? Thanks

Apparently opengapps x86 packages broke somewhere around 15th of this month. I've been told there some error at the end of the installation.

Gapps from the 12th are known to work. Using them myself.
https://github.com/opengapps/x86/releases/download/20161012/open_gapps-x86-5.1-pico-20161012.zip

Guest thehobit
1 hour ago, KonstaT said:

Apparently opengapps x86 packages broke somewhere around 15th of this month. I've been told there some error at the end of the installation.

Gapps from the 12th are known to work. Using them myself.
https://github.com/opengapps/x86/releases/download/20161012/open_gapps-x86-5.1-pico-20161012.zip

Thanks a lot, it certainly resolved the problem which came from the most unexpected place!

Guest KonstaT

New build.

cm-12.1-20161028-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-cube_iwork8ultimate.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862671162
md5:2fd8709e8747a2354e6a1e0cc8542c17

-rename device codename to cube_iwork8ultimate
-SELinux enforcing
-fix Play Store compatibility with some apps (location permissions)
-add power profile (fixes battery usage statistics in Settings -> Battery)
-build wifi (wpa_supplicant/hostapd) from source
-update bunch of binary drivers
-Android security patch level: 1 October 2016 (merged)

I1-TD/TC/TWB/TF patches need an update, too.

cm-12.1-20161028-cube_iwork8ultimate-I1-TD.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767105263
md5:fa99f228a864a8a92b5cd32796807b08

cm-12.1-20161028-cube_iwork8ultimate-I1-TWB.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862671231
md5:73599c27b99d803319bea26c9da34579

cm-12.1-20161028-cube_iwork8ultimate-I1-TC.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767105262
md5:c15781ea709779af464fe0a7bab2ab99

cm-12.1-20161028-cube_iwork8ultimate-I1-TF.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862671230
md5:5b2b169aa57686490e17b71b90eb789b

On 28/10/2016 at 2:23 PM, KonstaT said:

New build.

cm-12.1-20161028-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-cube_iwork8ultimate.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862671162
md5:2fd8709e8747a2354e6a1e0cc8542c17

cm-12.1-20161028-cube_iwork8ultimate-I1-TF.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862671230
md5:5b2b169aa57686490e17b71b90eb789b

Great job! I just installed it on my I1-TF iWork8 Air.

The latest stock rom (20160527 from Baidu) has a problem with sound: on Kodi it's muted 90% of the times, sometimes it's muted on the Youtube app too when switching from a video to another. Unfortunately this is a problem that affects your CM build too.

On the other hand, sound redirected to an external bluetooth speaker is audible.

Guest KonstaT
8 hours ago, rumucor said:

Awesome work Konsta , thanks for all.

Do you think its possible Android nougat in our devices?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I just started working with CM13 (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) last weekend. Already made some good progress (wifi, audio, av hw decoding/encoding, sensors, etc) but there's still plenty of major issues remaining. Camera is going to be a major PITA no surprise. Bluetooth is going to cause trouble as well. Also issue with houdini and a strange wakelock that prevents the device from entering deep sleep.

If you would have asked last week, I would have said zero chance of Nougat. Now I'm willing to give it a strong 2% chance. :P

1 hour ago, jmad said:

Great job! I just installed it on my I1-TF iWork8 Air.

The latest stock rom (20160527 from Baidu) has a problem with sound: on Kodi it's muted 90% of the times, sometimes it's muted on the Youtube app too when switching from a video to another. Unfortunately this is a problem that affects your CM build too.

On the other hand, sound redirected to an external bluetooth speaker is audible.

Audio implementation is nothing but prebuilt binary blobs extracted from stock firmware. There's not much I can do about it.

Edited by KonstaT

19 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Audio implementation is nothing but prebuilt binary blobs extracted from stock firmware. There's not much I can do about it.

Yes, I imagined that. The Air model has a different audio chip compared to the Ultimate models, has it?

I'll try to write to the producer about this bug, but I'm not expecting any answer...

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, jmad said:

Yes, I imagined that. The Air model has a different audio chip compared to the Ultimate models, has it?

Both iWork8 Ultimate and iWork8 Air have the same Nuvoton NAU88L24 audio chip.

7 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Both iWork8 Ultimate and iWork8 Air have the same Nuvoton NAU88L24 audio chip.

I didn't notice any problem with Kodi from Ultimate users... The problem should be somewhere else but not in the Nuvoton driver, I suppose.

Pretty strange thing...

Guest RippleDrums

Hi KonstaT,

First of all, thank you for your work on these tablets. It's great that someone knowledgeable finds the time to do some developing for them.

I have a Cube iwork8 Air (I1-TF) and I would very much like to use this rom because I'm a huge fan of CM12.1 and CyanogenMod in general but every time I tried I have faced some problems:

No problems flashing it but after I restore my apps with Titanium Backup and after a few successful reboots to configure everything the way I like, the next reboot I do (for whatever reason) just goes into a bootloop. It may be some root app or something I use and this has happened with and without Xposed (which I was able to get working at least once but only on this rom, not on stock, something to do with the stock being based on a Dell rom that has an "unusual" ART library, at least from what I could gather from several internet searches and the official Xposed post on XDA).

I have done some experiments, not installing some stuff and/or not restoring all/some of my apps for example, but I always get to that damned bootloop after a few successful reboots.

Also, some apks just don't install (sideloading) and on stock they do. No problems installing from the Play Store so far though. Maybe it's houdini related?

Haven't tried this 28.10 build but I will when I have the time.

Thanks again for your work on this.

Guest KonstaT
18 hours ago, jmad said:

I didn't notice any problem with Kodi from Ultimate users... The problem should be somewhere else but not in the Nuvoton driver, I suppose.

Pretty strange thing...

There's one audio config file included in iWork8 Air patch (/system/etc/parameter-framework/Settings/Audio/AudioConfigurableDomains.xml). You could try removing it from the patch and then reinstalling CM12.1 and your modified patch. It's only to change volumes on few paths so I'm not sure it's going to make much of a difference.

58 minutes ago, RippleDrums said:

Hi KonstaT,

First of all, thank you for your work on these tablets. It's great that someone knowledgeable finds the time to do some developing for them.

I have a Cube iwork8 Air (I1-TF) and I would very much like to use this rom because I'm a huge fan of CM12.1 and CyanogenMod in general but every time I tried I have faced some problems:

No problems flashing it but after I restore my apps with Titanium Backup and after a few successful reboots to configure everything the way I like, the next reboot I do (for whatever reason) just goes into a bootloop. It may be some root app or something I use and this has happened with and without Xposed (which I was able to get working at least once but only on this rom, not on stock, something to do with the stock being based on a Dell rom that has an "unusual" ART library, at least from what I could gather from several internet searches and the official Xposed post on XDA).

I have done some experiments, not installing some stuff and/or not restoring all/some of my apps for example, but I always get to that damned bootloop after a few successful reboots.

Also, some apks just don't install (sideloading) and on stock they do. No problems installing from the Play Store so far though. Maybe it's houdini related?

Haven't tried this 28.10 build but I will when I have the time.

Thanks again for your work on this.

Restoring any system data with Titanium Backup will cause all kinds of trouble. Only use it to restore user apps and their data. I can't provide support installations with Xposed Framework either. There's installation instructions in third post of this thread. I still maintain my 'no wipe, no whine' policy. :P If you want to report any issues, you should be able to reproduce it on a clean installation.

Logcat would tell exactly why you're stuck in bootloop or why your apps don't install...

3 hours ago, KonstaT said:

There's one audio config file included in iWork8 Air patch (/system/etc/parameter-framework/Settings/Audio/AudioConfigurableDomains.xml). You could try removing it from the patch and then reinstalling CM12.1 and your modified patch. It's only to change volumes on few paths so I'm not sure it's going to make much of a difference.

Thanks for the advice: i reinstalled CM12.1 and the new patch, but unfortunately it didn't work. I'm trying to understand what's going on via logcat, but I don't have a clue.

Guest KonstaT

Here's a quick 'fix' for connecting with bluetooth low energy (BLE) devices. It's just prebuilt bluetooth binaries from stock firmware. Have to look into a proper solution to this instead as I'm not going to include these in possible future builds.

cm-12.1-cube_iwork8ultimate-bluetooth-ble.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224394938
md5:61482287e761c364f5796f31d260f7b4

Guest KonstaT
2 hours ago, johnmart19 said:

I have Chuwi Hi8Pro with same hardware, can you please port this firmware for my tablet?

No need to spam every thread with the same question.

Yes, I could probably quite easily do this for every Cherry Trail device (ones with realtek bt/wifi anyway). But the question is why would I do it for devices that I don't have? I've already open sourced this so there's nothing stopping you from porting it yourself.

And if it was an identical piece of hardware, this ROM would already work as is, right?

Guest johnmart19
2 hours ago, KonstaT said:

No need to spam every thread with the same question.

Yes, I could probably quite easily do this for every Cherry Trail device (ones with realtek bt/wifi anyway). But the question is why would I do it for devices that I don't have? I've already open sourced this so there's nothing stopping you from porting it yourself.

And if it was an identical piece of hardware, this ROM would already work as is, right?

I don't know how to port them.

It would be great if you can port 1 firmware, and I will port other like you do.

P.s sorry for my english, I am Ukrainian

Guest youvictor

Hi KonstaT.

First of all, thank you so much for making such good rom. I find it quite stable and useful.

But on my device(iwork8 I1-TWB), there is a very weird issue.

When using Android browser, I can access any website smoothly,

but with Chrome, I CANNOT access any website using domain. An error "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" was showed on the browser, while it works fine using IP address.

I've checked my router settings and WiFi settings, no problem was found. When flashed with stock ROM or remix ROM, Chrome works fine using both domain and IP.

Any ideas ? Much appreciated.

Edited by youvictor

Guest DrorAlumot

Hi,

I'm currently with CM13, having major battery drain issues. Will it be better with CM12?
Should I return to stock before installing CM12, or can I install it over my current CM13?

Thanks!

Guest KonstaT
10 hours ago, RippleDrums said:

Hi KonstaT,

I tried this 28/10 build and all was working well until I had to reboot and I managed to get 2 log files while on bootloop.

Sorry for their size but I didn't know how much info you needed. Hope these help!

Thanks

Cube_iwork8_Air_logcats_rippledrums.zip

Are you using theme that changes system font? Cause problem is there.

E/Typeface( 2661): Error opening /data/system/theme/fonts/fonts.xml
E/Typeface( 2661): java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/system/theme/fonts/fonts.xml: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)

That could be a SELinux issue, though I don't why I should need device specific sepolicy for themes. Can you also get audit log via adb?

adb shell su -c "cat /data/misc/audit/audit.log"

16 minutes ago, DrorAlumot said:

Hi,

I'm currently with CM13, having major battery drain issues. Will it be better with CM12?
Should I return to stock before installing CM12, or can I install it over my current CM13?

Thanks!

CM13 has an suspend issue where device never enters deep sleep mode so what did you expect?

Follow installation instructions in the third post of this thread.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest RippleDrums
5 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Are you using theme that changes system font? Cause problem is there.

E/Typeface( 2661): Error opening /data/system/theme/fonts/fonts.xml
E/Typeface( 2661): java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/system/theme/fonts/fonts.xml: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)

That could be a SELinux issue, though I don't why I should need device specific sepolicy for themes. Can you also get audit log via adb?

adb shell su -c "cat /data/misc/audit/audit.log"

Hey again,

Here's the audit.log as requested. I am indeed using a theme that changes the font. I will delete the theme app from /data/app and wipe cache/dalvik and try again.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help with this. :)

audit.log

Guest KonstaT
55 minutes ago, RippleDrums said:

Hey again,

Here's the audit.log as requested. I am indeed using a theme that changes the font. I will delete the theme app from /data/app and wipe cache/dalvik and try again.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help with this. :)

audit.log

No SELinux denials there so I'm not sure why it's denied access. #blamethemes