The Alcatel Idol 3 4.7" is just £49.99 at O2

Guest HugoQueiriga

Guest HugoQueiriga

If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful device that won’t break your bank account, O2 right now is offering the Alcatel Idol 3 4.7” at the low low price of £49.99 and because it is O2, you don’t even need to buy a top up. 

So what can you expect to get for £49.99? Quite a lot really, we are not talking about a premium device, but for that kind of money you do get a lot. It is great as a backup phone or a general travel device, just make sure you unlock it first before you travel.

Model: Alcatel Idol 3 4.7”
Body: 134.6 x 65.9 x 7.6 mm, weight: 110g 
Display: 4.7" HD 720 x 1280 pixels (~312 ppi pixel density), IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Operating System: Android OS, v5.0.2 (Lollipop), upgradable to v6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
CPU: Qualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410, Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53
GPU: Adreno 306
Storage: 8 GB, MicroSD Slot,  1.5 GB RAM
Camera: 13 MP, f/2.0, autofocus, LED flash, 1/3" sensor size, 1.12 µm pixel size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama, HDR, 1080P@30fps Secondary 5 MP
Connectivity: LTE, microUSB v2.0, USB Host, 3.5mm jack
Sensors: FM radio RDS, Light sensor, Proximity sensor, NFC Technicolor image enhancers , Hi-Fi, 3D audio effect
Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 2000 mAh battery
Price: £49.99

Now you may be wondering if the 8GB is enough for you, well to fix that you may want to check out Paul’s article on how to double your storage size that he created last September. As with every modification you do to a device, we should warn you that this will void your warranty and it is not for the faint hearted among you out there, but it is an option.

*Update. Having purchased one of these, it looks like the O2 variant device may only come with the 8GB internal storage, reading XDA there seems to be a few variants of this device with 8GB or 16GB NAND storage. To see which one you have just install a terminal from the playstore and run the following command.

cat /proc/partitions

If the returned partitions show that mmcblk0 is 7634944 then you have the 8GB variant and this cannot be changed to increase your storage. However if it reports a higher number like 15267840 then you are in luck and you can try the process Paul has written about. Either way the device is still a good bargain for the price.

So for £49.99 what are you waiting for? Online delivery is out of stock but you can still purchase for store pickup.

source: O2 PAYG

View full item

Guest DougieFinlay

...and because it is O2, you don’t even need to buy a top up...

You say that like that's standard at O2!? When I wanted the OP3, they said I had to purchase at least £10 and I couldn't use my 3rd party SIM as it's locked. See ya later O2!!

Guest HugoQueiriga
16 hours ago, DougieFinlay said:

...and because it is O2, you don’t even need to buy a top up...

You say that like that's standard at O2!? When I wanted the OP3, they said I had to purchase at least £10 and I couldn't use my 3rd party SIM as it's locked. See ya later O2!!

Hi,

When buying online there is no need to purchase top up. In store I always found if you have a sim with O2 I haven't needed to pay top up either. Although there is always a sales assistant that tries his luck with me, which I kindly decline.

Talking of top up, I walked into a Three store yesterday to check a Honor 8 and asked for the price, they told me £349+£20, told the sales assistant thank you very much and walked out. Considering that I can purchase online with £349+£10 top up, she must have thought I was a fool. 

Like I said in store you just have to stand your ground  and be willing to walk out and go elsewhere.

But I understand your frustration and really hope networks one day will stop this locking down.

Regards

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.