[DEV][ROM][20.10.] LineageOS 13 (Android 6.0.1) for Chuwi Vi10 Plus, Hi10 Plus, Hi10 Pro, Hibook, Hibook Pro & Hi12

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
52 minutes ago, bubu83 said:

@KonstaT Is it possible to currently work on port cm14?

Everything is possible, but there's still plenty to do with CM13 before that makes sense. Devices that don't have kernel source are going to get dropped with the next CM13 build anyway.

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, rupam.konar said:

Does the deep sleep working on hibook pro? 

Doesn't work on any device with the build in the OP. It's going to be fixed if/when there's another build. I have to drop support for Hibook Pro. There's no kernel source available for Hibook Pro and I don't have a device myself so I could work on the kernel for Hibook Pro (based on Vi10 Plus kernel source I have).

Edited by KonstaT

Guest yener90
On 7.12.2016 at 11:09 AM, KonstaT said:

Doesn't work on any device with the build in the OP. It's going to be fixed if/when there's another build. I have to drop support for Hibook Pro. There's no kernel source available for Hibook Pro and I don't have a device myself so I could work on the kernel for Hibook Pro (based on Vi10 Plus kernel source I have).

Hello Konstat, how is your kernel development going?  Is it too buggy? Saw your said that camera is currently a problem, but most of us can surely live without it, as you know the cam is not the best :D

Would be nice to use marshmallow because of multiwindow, but deep sleep issue makes it really unusable :(

Guest KonstaT
23 minutes ago, yener90 said:

Hello Konstat, how is your kernel development going?  Is it too buggy? Saw your said that camera is currently a problem, but most of us can surely live without it, as you know the cam is not the best :D

Would be nice to use marshmallow because of multiwindow, but deep sleep issue makes it really unusable :(

It's going fine. Fixed the camera last weekend. Then there was some bluetooth issues. After that there was some video encoding issues (unrelated to kernel, it was actually one of Android security patches that broke it for this platform). No other issues besides it's a little slow to wake up from deep sleep. I'm uploading a build as we speak...

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

New build. Device now enjoys deep sleep so much it's a little slow to wake up. :P Be patient and wait couple of seconds when waking up the device.

cm-13.0-20161209-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-chuwi_vi10plus.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767121666
md5:ee3f5b38510eb9022e57b6cd2abb1fc8

-build kernel & modules from source
-completely new kernel bring up based on Intel Marshmallow reference (3.14.64) cleaning up all kinds of Chuwi cruft
-update to Linux 3.14.79
-update kernel mmc drivers to fix 'freezing issue'
-add configs for external keyboard docks to fix 'keyboard dock wake issue' (thanks to festlv)
-fix deep sleep with the new Marshmallow kernel
-add BFQ i/o scheduler and enable it by default
-patch shtload of known vulnerabilities in kernel (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
-Android security patch level: 5 November 2016 (merged)

I have to drop support for Hibook Pro and Hi12 because there is no kernel source available for those devices. Hi10 Pro still works with the Vi10/Hi10 Plus kernel except for the capasitive Windows/home button.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest PalmTrees

Thanks a million! :D Simply incredible that you're doing this and perfect timing too! My Vi10 Plus should arrive early next week and a small donation (sorry, poor student) should arrive in your PayPal account next week too :) 

What's your educational background? Computer Science & Engineering?

Guest KonstaT
2 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

Thanks a million! :D Simply incredible that you're doing this and perfect timing too! My Vi10 Plus should arrive early next week and a small donation (sorry, poor student) should arrive in your PayPal account next week too :) 

What's your educational background? Computer Science & Engineering?

I'm just a hobbyist hacker (studied something else in university). So if I can do this, so can anyone else. ;) I've played around with Android (and other mobile OS'es) for quite a while now, though. Messed with every Android version since 2.1 Eclair and built CyanogenMod since 2.3 Gingerbread (CM7). I guess my next project is to make this device run something other than Android...

Guest rupam.konar
3 hours ago, KonstaT said:

I'm just a hobbyist hacker (studied something else in university). So if I can do this, so can anyone else. ;) I've played around with Android (and other mobile OS'es) for quite a while now, though. Messed with every Android version since 2.1 Eclair and built CyanogenMod since 2.3 Gingerbread (CM7). I guess my next project is to make this device run something other than Android...

Thank you KonstaT, much thankful for your efforts and time you are giving towards making these devices better... 

Guest PalmTrees
6 hours ago, KonstaT said:

So if I can do this, so can anyone else. ;) I've played around with Android (and other mobile OS'es) for quite a while now, though. Messed with every Android version since 2.1 Eclair and built CyanogenMod since 2.3 Gingerbread (CM7). I guess my next project is to make this device run something other than Android...

I would like to learn or at least try. Been reading a little here and there, but of course it takes dedication and time to figure out everything. If you have any guides you would recommend or any tips for a beginner, please share them. 

What's next on the to do list for the CM13 rom? Don't get me wrong, not nagging you about "When is the next update". Just curious to learn more about the process. 

Guest nexfeel

Thank you for your greak work CM12 CM13. It is sad to stop updating CM13 for hibook pro. 

But i'm using CM12 well. I hope to resume updating CM13 someday.

Thanks!

Guest KonstaT
11 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

I would like to learn or at least try. Been reading a little here and there, but of course it takes dedication and time to figure out everything. If you have any guides you would recommend or any tips for a beginner, please share them. 

What's next on the to do list for the CM13 rom? Don't get me wrong, not nagging you about "When is the next update". Just curious to learn more about the process. 

CyanogenMod wiki and AOSP documentation are worth a read. Best thing about open source is that you can dive directly in the code. Git log/blame will help you understand what was changed and why.

Well, there's list of issues in the OP in that order.

• I'm suspecting display drivers for the slow wakeup. There's likely some mismatch with the new kernel and 'old' BIOS or mismatch with the kernel and userspace display drivers (or both).
  • Should get SELinux to permissive mode first. That's quite easily doable but still need to move some stuff around to make that work (currently even SELinux permissive breaks bluetooth and camera because of how the kernel modules are loaded). SELinux enforcing is probably not realistic. I'd have to bring up/update sepolicy for entire Cherry Trail platform myself. For Lollipop Intel had pretty good reference - for Marshmallow Intel has nothing.
  • Not sure if I can do much about the camera HAL. It's just prebuilt binary blob from stock firmware. I guess there's not much chance that Chuwi will release official Marshmallow for this/similar device. Most definitely camera HAL issue, though, as my iWork8 Ultimate doesn't have this issue and it uses all the same camera blobs besides the HAL.

Then there's all kinds of behind of the scenes stuff that end user will never notice. Building some of the drivers into the kernel instead of kernel modules and maybe dropping modules support all together. Integrating kernel build into CyanogenMod build like it's normally done (now using different environment for kernel build and that prebuilt kernel/modules in CM build).

And of course whatever issues people report that I can reproduce myself but haven't come across yet.

2 hours ago, nexfeel said:

Thank you for your greak work CM12 CM13. It is sad to stop updating CM13 for hibook pro. 

But i'm using CM12 well. I hope to resume updating CM13 someday.

Thanks!

Someone who has Hibook Pro can start working on the kernel. It should be doable with the Vi10 Plus kernel source we have. It's just not something I can do without having a device myself.

Guest yener90
23 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

CyanogenMod wiki and AOSP documentation are worth a read. Best thing about open source is that you can dive directly in the code. Git log/blame will help you understand what was changed and why.

Well, there's list of issues in the OP in that order.

• I'm suspecting display drivers for the slow wakeup. There's likely some mismatch with the new kernel and 'old' BIOS or mismatch with the kernel and userspace display drivers (or both).
  • Should get SELinux to permissive mode first. That's quite easily doable but still need to move some stuff around to make that work (currently even SELinux permissive breaks bluetooth and camera because of how the kernel modules are loaded). SELinux enforcing is probably not realistic. I'd have to bring up/update sepolicy for entire Cherry Trail platform myself. For Lollipop Intel had pretty good reference - for Marshmallow Intel has nothing.
  • Not sure if I can do much about the camera HAL. It's just prebuilt binary blob from stock firmware. I guess there's not much chance that Chuwi will release official Marshmallow for this/similar device. Most definitely camera HAL issue, though, as my iWork8 Ultimate doesn't have this issue and it uses all the same camera blobs besides the HAL.

Then there's all kinds of behind of the scenes stuff that end user will never notice. Building some of the drivers into the kernel instead of kernel modules and maybe dropping modules support all together. Integrating kernel build into CyanogenMod build like it's normally done (now using different environment for kernel build and that prebuilt kernel/modules in CM build).

And of course whatever issues people report that I can reproduce myself but haven't come across yet.

Someone who has Hibook Pro can start working on the kernel. It should be doable with the Vi10 Plus kernel source we have. It's just not something I can do without having a device myself.

Hello KonstaT,

I checked the "bios update" of medion and realized that is just the FAT32 uefi partition with an updated uefi file. So it should be possible to replace that file, as it doesn't touch the bios. my only fear is that that file is more important then I think, which will maybe break whole tablet. but so far I know flasher boots from his own uefi file to fastboot, but still not 100%ly sure. I also don't know if the uefi is the system chooser at start or does the chooser come from bios itself. 

Guest KonstaT
44 minutes ago, yener90 said:

Hello KonstaT,

I checked the "bios update" of medion and realized that is just the FAT32 uefi partition with an updated uefi file. So it should be possible to replace that file, as it doesn't touch the bios. my only fear is that that file is more important then I think, which will maybe break whole tablet. but so far I know flasher boots from his own uefi file to fastboot, but still not 100%ly sure. I also don't know if the uefi is the system chooser at start or does the chooser come from bios itself. 

Better not mess with that. Flashing a bad BIOS is pretty much the only way you can permanently brick your device. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to do any permanent damage on these devices. You can always use Intel Flash Tool to flash to recover as long as you can boot into DX loader (you can also fastboot boot Android bootloader from DX loader).

I haven't really looked into how bootchain works on these Cherry Trail devices either.

Guest KonstaT
20 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

@KonstaTThanks for your recommendations. I'll start reading and do more research. Regarding the camera, I know this is not HAL related and I don't know if it is of any use to you. Shooting in the blind, but check this out https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/camera-sample-app . I wont post anymore links, I promise :D 

It's related to camera HAL because it's exactly camera HAL that passes that information. ;) You can get the same info using various hardware info apps, though (e.g. Droid Hardware Info).

Guest PalmTrees
44 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

It's related to camera HAL because it's exactly camera HAL that passes that information. ;) You can get the same info using various hardware info apps, though (e.g. Droid Hardware Info).

Haha, oh well :) . What would it take to figure out how to make the camera work? What needs to be configured exactly? Hope it's okay I ask all these (stupid) questions. 

Guest KonstaT
56 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

Haha, oh well :) . What would it take to figure out how to make the camera work? What needs to be configured exactly? Hope it's okay I ask all these (stupid) questions. 

Camera already 'works'. There's just two 'bars' of distortion (don't really know what to call it) in captured photos. Camcorder works fine and you can also use it with Skype'ing, etc without a problem. Device has rubbish 2mpix camera sensors so it's not that big of a deal as no one probably uses this as their main camera anyway.

Camera HAL is a prebuilt binary blob extracted from stock firmware (highly device specific). There's nothing to configure and there's no source code either. Cameras are a bit difficult because they interact with other hw on so many levels (kernel and userspace display drivers). This is what happens when things start to mismatch.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
23 minutes ago, risoterapia said:

Clean install on my chuwi hi10 pro

All is ok but tactil it isn´t as responsive as cm 12.1. I have to press a little more than in cm12.1 version

Thanks @KonstaT

Well, the kernel is really not meant for Hi10 Pro. That's also why capasitive Windows/home button is not working on your device. I don't know what other touchscreen issues that may cause. CM12.1 with Hi10 Pro patch comes with the very latest stock kernel for Hi10 Pro (stock Android 20161102).

Someone who has Hi10 Pro can start working on the kernel. It should be perfectly doable with the Vi10 Plus kernel source we have. It's just not something I can do without having a device myself.

Guest risoterapia
Well, the kernel is really not meant for Hi10 Pro. That's also why capasitive Windows/home button is not working on your device. I don't know what other touchscreen issues that may cause. CM12.1 with Hi10 Pro patch comes with the very latest stock kernel for Hi10 Pro (stock Android 20161102).

Someone who has Hi10 Pro can start working on the kernel. It should be perfectly doable with the Vi10 Plus kernel source we have. It's just not something I can do without having a device myself.

I can test what you want but my knowledge on kernels is less than zero [emoji17]

Guest megaviolence

Hello, friends! I'm so upset about dropping support of hi12, really love my giant tablet. Please, provide any possible updates in future, even through old ugly and proprietary kernel. There are a lot of sad people in Russian forum 4pda, which are watching you work, unable to read this forum directly due to English language. Waiting for any good consequense - both of kernel from chuwi or any minor updates from this thread developer. Don't leave us^_^

Also, can be a tester , if the possibility to brick tablet will be not so high:_)

Edited by megaviolence