On button

Guest Flopsy

Anyone else have an on button that only seems to work some of the time?

Whenever I turn my phone on, I often have to try 3 or 4 times to get it to turn on - almost as if the button is dodgy.

However, I never have to try more than once to turn it off, which completely shoots down that theory.

Ralph.

I have exactly the same problem (3-4 attempts required). I did think that I may not be pushing the button in enough, but as you say, there's no problem with shutdown (or the quick menu).

Perhaps in a bid to make the device more human, MS or HTC mad the phone need to be "shaken" a variable number of times before it woke up!?! :wink:

I have noticed this too, and it is really strange! When i first bought my phone, the woman in the orange shop said it didnt like being turned on when the battery was low. Although it doesnt seem to matter whether the phone has low battery or full battery, it doesnt like being turned on. Maybe this is orange's way of hiding the bugs :D, if we cant turn on the phone, how can we get any bugs?

Guest Shire29

OK, hi, my first post on this forum.

Hope I can help.

I too have that problem, I wondered at first whether it needed to be pressed 2 or 3 times before it would switch on.

So I experimented.

I found that when I pressed it in with me thumb it didn't always feel fully pressed against the contact in the phone (hope you know what I'm talking about there). So I tried different fingers (I know I'm sad) and eventually settled for using a nail, i.e. pushing down hard with the nail, it's a harder surface.

Make sure u get it right in the centre and press down hard and hold, you will feel it when u have the right pressure.

I guess I just got soft hands but using the nail works every time, and once you get the knack it's just as easy.

Hope this helps, and it's not to OTT.

Cheers, Shire

:D

Guest srcshelton

Compltely unscientifically, I find that this feature of the phone is much more responsive when using my left thumb than any other digit!

(Alternatively, try pressing it in and towards the screen - which seems to help)

What I don't really understand it how it's so responsive when the phone is on, but completely unresponsive when turned off. ANother bug here, perhaps?

• 2 months later...

My phone was consistent in that it would always switch on at the second attempt - I could live with that. Recently however it has started taking 4 or 5 attempts - its definitely getting worse.

It always switches off at the first attempt though so I'm convinced it is not the switch.

Is anyone else still getting this problem?

Guest rob_pearse

I've tried using a nail to press the button down, I don't think it's an issue with how hard I am pressing the button, especially since switching it off works first time.

What I think it is is that in off mode, whatever checks to see if that button is depressed doesn't do it very often. Maybe try pressing and holding every time and see if it eventually switches on...

hehe, just tried experimenting with my idea and the bloody phone has frozen in the Quick List! The green LED is no longer flashing, screen has dimmed but not switched off, and can't seem to go anywhere!

Grrrr!

Mine has been getting steadily worse over the last few days and it's getting really annoying. As a system tester by trade I've started to assess under what conditions it does it and this is what I've found so far:

When the phone is on the cradle it will start up straight away

When the phone is turned off and immediately turned back on then it starts straight away

When the phone is turned off for a period of time then it doesn't like to be turned on again.

If you hold the power button down for a while (a minute or so) then let go, then press it again, the phone usually starts up the second time you press it.

I have experienced the phone not turning on after 15 presses of the power button, but these were all short presses.

I have yet to try turning the phone on after it has been off a long time but recently been charged and taken off the cradle. This is the next task.

It leads me to believe that there is some sort od capaciter that needs to be filled for the phone to power up. Holding down the power button seems to do this. Also if the phone is in the cradle charging then it can use that power for the jump start.

As I do more tests I'll post the results on here.

Guest yatpeak

I think everyone has this problem. Someone mentioned about a month ago that it might be that it requires a large amount of power to start up, and that you'll find it starts up quicker if you have it charging.

Wyatt

I was beginning to think my phone was broke - it's almost a relief to hear that you guys all have the same problem.

The problem is getting worse tho.

My method:

1. Hold the ON button down for 4 or 5 seconds

2. Look at the phone in amazement - why didn't it turn on?

3. Swear at it - the more violently the better

4. Try to turn it on again.

Hey presto, it boots!

I was beginning to think my phone was broke - it's almost a relief to hear that you guys all have the same problem.

The problem is getting worse tho.

My method:  

1. Hold the ON button down for 4 or 5 seconds

2. Look at the phone in amazement - why didn't it turn on?

3. Swear at it - the more violently the better

4. Try to turn it on again.

Hey presto, it boots!

I have 3a - make sure the kids aren't around.

3b demonstrate knowledge of swear words with appropriate tone.

Damned annoying especially when you are waiting for an important call and have just powered off to improve responsiveness!

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

Somehow - don't ask me how, I don't have a clue - this [on] wierdness was solved in the DK update. I had loads of hassle with the damn thing before, now it turns on first time _every_ time. I know this sounds unlikely, lads, but it's a fact. A mate's had exactly the same experience with his SPV pre/post-update. Weird.