Use your Tanager as a VIdeoPhone... well almost...

Guest ppcsurfr

Guest ppcsurfr

COMMUNICATION: Microsoft Portrait 2.1 with Smartphone support released

Posted by Arne Hess @ 15 May 2003 at 08:54 under News.

Jiang Li, the brain behind Microsoft Research's Portrait for PC, Handheld PC and Pocket PC just informed me, that version 2.1 (see my review of version 2.0 here) was released with Smartphone support now as well as an video codec API for developers:

Read more about it at PPCW.Net.

Now all that is needed is a way to rotate the camera so that the camera and screen face you. :)

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

President

Guest jbyte

Nice info you have there, Carl. :) But the camera is indeed the major problem. If there's only an adaptor that can be attached to the phone that can be rotated at 360°. :? Well, that is possible! Isn't it?

Guest bensy

a smple solution is to use a mirror. it may just be one impt accesory for SAP. if there is no mirror available, then use a picture of tom cruise.

Guest jbyte
a smple solution is to use a mirror. it may just be one impt accesory for SAP.

Use the mirror? Well, very good suggestion for the time being. :lol:

> if there is no mirror available, then use a picture of tom cruise. :) :( :D

Guest ppcsurfr

Hahaha... funny... really funny.

Anyway, I don't think it is going to be that difficult to create an adaptor cable for it... the port of the Tanager is actually a standard port used even by some other mobile phone/electronic device...

The only thing that has to be done is to create an extension cable with a similar socket on the other end...

Then you have yourself a videophone... :-)

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

President

Guest kroblanx

Carlo, I've installed this app already but haven't gotten around to testing it through yet. Have you? Now, calls are placed by entering the IP address of the person you wish to call (by default). I've browsed through the readme file and found out that certain mobile carriers can support video calls. Just two questions:

1. Can Portrait be used for calls made to regular cellphone numbers and not just via IP addresses?

2. Can Smart/Globe handle this service?