> XRick Dangerous v3 < (UPDATE page 5 !!!)

Guest STuFF

Guest flashfodder

I never got V2.5 so I've just upgraded from Malloc's V2.

I found Malloc's version extremely easy. Especially once the button 4 to jump had been added.

I find V3 far too fiddley in its current state. The worst part is the jump. The problem is if you want to fire the gun, your first thought is press the up button before the volume up.

This becomes especially difficult when you have to jump to position yourself, then fire the gun extremely quickly.

Also, I prefer malloc's portrait version compared to the 'new' Landscape version. I hate to say it but this game is built on depth & height. It becomes apparant people won't get far without cheating when you get to the point where you have to kill the first person. As you arrive at the top of the stairs, you realise that you can no longer see the level your first kill is walking on.

Later in the game, in order to progress, you will need to see what's below you when you drop. There's a point further on where 2 guys are walking below you. First, you need to judge the right point to jump. Then, when you land, you need to turn left and shoot immediately. To start you can no longer see the two men below you. But also, the shoot is soo fiddley, you virtually have no chance of this sequence unless you cheat.

The good points are, obviously the sound & the High score list but unless this game goes back to portrait, preferably with Malloc's key mapping, I'm sticking with Malloc's version.

This is my honest opinion. V3 is an improvement but it needs to be simple to control & in Portrait.

Guest STuFF

just to say that Malloc's version is really good.

Mine is the EXACT port of the original game, if we look at gameplay.

The game was designed to be played in 320x200 resolution. My version show you EXACTLY what we can see in the atari version, that's EXACTLY what the originals games designers wanted to show us. The scroll in the version made by Malloc is a great thing, really. But the game play is not the original one, and what's why I prefere mine :)

Now the sources are there, so everyone can add the fonctions they want. The good thing to do would be a simple options to map the keys.

the answer is :

no, it's not too hard to rotate the screen counter clockwise, but I will not do it :(

If you look to ALL paddles of the universe (yes all :)) you should see that the controls for directions ARE on the left and you have to use your left hand...

Maybe later, but have no time left for now, sorry guy...

Then I guess Boxy Pocket was made the wrong way around ;P

Looking at consoles, yes they always have the control stick on the left hand side ... but they have buttons under your right hand ... with the screen rotated as it is now, I have to do EVERYTHING left-handed...

I was a good Rick Dangerous player when I was younger, but this version is unplayable to me ... looks great and got me all excited.. just can't get the hang of the controls ... like somebody else pointed out, sometimes you need to be really fast and its just allmost impossible on the SPV keyboard... maybe I should get the external joystick....

Keep up the awesome work, it would be REALLY nice if we could rotate the screen in the option menu or something ... (not 90 but 180 degrees)

Guest Gorskar

Don't you just use your index finger to press the volume buttons? I thought that was more intuitive than the otehr way round, and using your thumb for them, but hey, what do I know!

Guest madu

It is more intuitive, but the whole point of what we were saying is that ALL the time you use your right hand (thumb) to control joystick, that is why when you try and do it with left hand it is in fact less intuitive.

That does not include left-handed, and statisticly they live shorter and are less clever. So consider taking a pen in your right hand if you have not done so yet... :)

On another note, it is playable and just takes that extra time to get used to.. And don't forget - this is a phone, not a gameboy!!

Guest STuFF

yep

You dont have anything in your right hand, because you have the Fire and Jump button... Do you really try this version Axe ??? The game is really easier than all other release, just because I've slow down it a bit.

And I've made the first level in a few minutes to test the playability, this is a bit more difficult because of the fu***g paddle.

By the way, yes, its not a game boy, and yes boxy wad done the wrong side, but it doesnt use an "action" button at all during the game.

Boxy was my first game, and the whole gameengine was done in a day, using old source code.

Thanks for all of you for support and criticisms.

Guest vijay555

I love stuff. Man, more people should be coding, not complaining.

If it's criticism, i'm sure it's taken on board. If he wants to, he'll implement it. If not, sources are fully available, so everyone can go to town.

I think the game's great, and seriously, more work like this and SPV is already better than GBC. Keep it up and we'll be beating GBA: n-gage can kiss ass :)

V

Guest vijay555

:oops:

Seriously, i'm no professional coder, and i code because i enjoy it. But i think all the homebrew stuff, and indeed, MoDaCo generally, is keeping SPV alive! [much like xbox homebrew :wink:]

But if i spend a few hours of my life coding something for the general public, i think suggestions for improvements should at least be made graciously, knowing that any coding, especially on a platform like this, takes time and effort.

All we need now is Great Giana Sisters! Get a move on Stuff! :)

V

Guest davy

STuFF, in no way is this a criticism as I really appreciate the time and effort you have obviously put into this game.

I to am right handed and am sure that the game would be much more enjoyable for me if I could use my right hand to control the buttons.

I would really appreciate it if you could find the time to give us a version with the option to switch landscape mode to suit right handed folks.

once again thanks for for your efforts to make this game playable on the spv.

davy.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Just to add my thoughts...

I think the control method is spot on, and it wouldn't really work.

I would personally like to thank Stuff for this release, probably my favourite game on the SmartPhone atm!

Things like this really even sell the phone - a friend of mine bought one solely for xRick - so that's gotta be good!

Well done Stuff... What's your next project? :-)

P

Guest Speedy

Just to be a bit nostalgic here.

I love playing Rick Dangerous, just like i did on my amiga :)

If you dont mind, i have a suggestion for another project.

One of my favorite games of all time is North and South for amiga500

Such a game for my spv might just bring a tear to my eye (in happiness of course)

Keep up the good work :(

Guest NederSoren

ERROR

I've played this game for a while, i got to the pyramid level.. weeee...

I got trough the first part and the seccond part of the level, then came to the third part, where i found a big blue diamant. I tried to get it by jumping on it, and the game crashed, and came up with some error message (Cant remember what it said)

Next time i launched the game i started from the start of the pyramid level again :)

Was this because the game was finished, or was it just a bug??

/NederSoren

Guest Brody

So how far behind everyone else am i on Rick Dangerous??!

Seriously though i have only just started playing it and am having (basic probably) trouble with a wall that i can shoot through but not walk through!!

Teach me the basics please!!

Guest STuFF

NederSoren : yes there is actually a bug when you take that fu***g blue gem in the egyptian level :) The game crashes (dont know why, I'will check it...) and is NOT saved.

Dont take this blue gem for now (hope it's not a key to open a door or something like that...)

Guest NederSoren

Hmm... now im stuck too.. I didn't take the gem, and just went throug to the next screen. But now i dont know what to do...

Xrick%20screenshot1.jpg

If i try to jump down the hole, spikes will come out of the wall and kill me.. it dont seem like there is any other way to go.. :)

//NederSoren

Guest NhiKo

Hi everyone !

Firs of all, thx to malloc and stuff ! I just love that game, far better and addictive than most commercials apps :( .

For this level, the trick is to make the stone between the spikes fall... can't remember how :oops: , i last played Rick on my Atari... and i just started the pyramid level on my SPV...

I think you've got to use the stick in a wall... not sure...

Good luck !

NhiKo

PS: sorry for misspell/gramar... I'm french :)