Hard Reset

Guest jmer

Guest jmer

I came across this on the web www.coolSmartPhone.com. Hope this help.

Here's how to do one of those infamous "hard resets".

You will lose a LOT of settings. These are...

a) Your text messages, MMS and Emails

:( Your XML layouts / Skins / Sounds / Camera pictures

c) Contacts, Tasks, Calendar

..and some other bits ...

Do try and Sync all your contacts/mails/tasks etc first.

It might be worth mentioning that in order to do a hardware

reset you must have the SD/MMC card in the phone.

Use Orange Backup too to save and restore other bits.

1) Remove the battery and wait 5 seconds. Replace the battery

2) Press and Hold voice recorder button (below power button on the left)

3) Power-on the device

4) The device will enter a special power-up mode

5) "Card found" will be displayed on the screen

6) Shortly after you will receive two options:

"Press any key to enter boot loader"

"Press action button to enter diag mod"

7) Press and hold the Action button

8) After a few seconds a menu will be displayed

9) Select "Erase IPSM" and wait for the screen to display "PASSED"

10) Then move to the left with the navigation button and select "END"

11) A screen with three colours will be displayed

You may now remove and replace the battery and perform a normal power up. :)

(Note: This may take several minutes)

Guest ppcsurfr

Actually there is some slight error in that procedure.

It is actually better if you remove the Dummy SD Card so that the CARD FOUND prompt is skipped. All you have to do... and this is before the color band appears, is to press the action button for a while... then you get the selection...

The Dummy SD card prevents the process to actually work.

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

President

Guest randy
Actually there is some slight error in that procedure.

It is actually better if you remove the Dummy SD Card so that the CARD FOUND prompt is skipped. All you have to do... and this is before the color band appears, is to press the action button for a while... then you get the selection...

The Dummy SD card prevents the process to actually work.

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

President

tnx carlo. this answered my question i posted on pinoysmartphone yahoo groups.

Guest dinoalbert

from at Smart website (http://www.smart.com.ph/SMART/Products/Smart+Amazing+Phone/Tips+and+Tricks/?ItemNo=0) :

Can I perform a hard reset on my SAP?

Yes, you can hard reset your SMART Amazing Phone. The hard reset will restore all factory defaults. To perform a hard reset, follow these simple steps:

Make sure that your phone is turned off and you have a MMC/SD card inserted in your phone. It is advisable that you remove the battery for 5 seconds before proceeding.

Press and hold the record button.

While still holding the record button, press the power button. A white screen will display with the text 'Card Found' at the topmost portion.

After a few seconds, you will see the message 'Press any key to enter bootloader'. When you see this press and hold the action key.

A list will appear on your screen. Choose 'Erase IPSM' by using the navi button or pressing 8. You will see something like this text written on the screen:

"Erase IPSM

Flash identify OK

INTEL 28F128J3A

Flash erase OK"

At the bottom of the screen you will also the text 'PASSED'

Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds.

Replace the battery and turn on your phone. The startup time of your phone will take several minutes the first time you turn it on after the hard reset

there's also a post of that here in Modaco:

To do a Hard Reset ONLY....follow steps 7 to 12.

BACKUP EVERYTHING FIRST! THIS PROCESS WILL RETURN YOUR PHONE TO THE 'OUT OF THE BOX STATE'! (Using Orange Backup is fine for this)

Carry out the following steps to unlock your phone for unsigned apps (e.g. SDK compiled apps). If you have any problems, please visit this thread <http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=1899>.

1. Remove SD card (This speeds up some parts of the process!)

2. Make sure you have an Activesync session connected.

3. Open a 'Windows Explorer' window to 'Mobile Device/My Smartphone/Windows', and leave it open.

4. Copy mxipcold_oem10.provxml and mxip_oem10.provxml to a directory on your PC (i.e. c:tempspv)

5. Edit BOTH of these two files as follows:

- Remove the element named 'Characteristic' with the type attribute 'Security Policy' from both.

- In it's place insert the following:

Quote:

-Change the name of the first browser favourite subtly (this will be used later to confirm that you've managed to get the file in on time), e.g. from 'Orange' to 'Orange NEW'.

6. Open a second 'Windows Explorer' window looking at the copies that you've just edited (stored on your own PC's hard drive).

7. Turn off the SPV.

8. Hold the 'Voice Memo' button down while turning on the SPV.

9. Press and hold the Action button (joystick middle button) for 2 seconds as instructed.

10. Press 8 to select 'Erase IPSM data'.

11. When it has finished doing this (it takes a while), it will say PASSED. Press the left direction pad twice and choose 3 to close the diagostics.

12. On the three colour 'Canary PV' screen, hold the power button down. This will re-start the phone with the Orange Sunset screen.

13. Arrange the two 'Windows Explorer' windows and the Activesync window on screen so you can see them all.

14. When your SPV switches from the Orange Sunset to the blue SmartPhone logo screen, wait a few seconds and then put the phone in it's cradle.

15. ActiveSync should see the phone after about 20 seconds. When it has made it's connection, copy the two altered PROVXML files into the SPV's 'Mobile Device/My Smartphone/Windows' directory window that you have open.

16. Wait a while...

17. Launch Internet Explorer and see if the favourite link is as you modified it. If none of the Orange ones are there at all, go back to the home screen <http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>, wait a bit longer and repeat.

18. If it has not worked (i.e the browser favourite is a normal, non edited version), start again, but persevere, it can be done!

At this point, your phone is 'App Unlocked', and you can restore your data

With the newer updates number 11 "choose 3 to close" is no longer

available, so to restart the phone just press and hold the power button.

• 1 year later...
Guest odin2ken

Hi,guys,im a noob here,try to help if u can,Thnx!!

ok,i do a hard reset reset on my O2 xphone using the above method,it seem normal at 1st,but theres no erase ipsm,just number 1-8,8=X storage,i pressed 8 n it start to erase, but in the end,it did not say-->PASS..

it just say-->now u can restart your phone...after i do so,the smartphone bootup normally,but all of my gprs n mms connection were lost,then i install sp task manager,after tat i wana check the status of the phone n show me-->ipsm folder,error occured....lolz.....any1 can help on this?is there anyway to fix the error?

• 6 months later...
Guest cycheang

i also has this similar problem after i perform hard reset on my xphone...ii lost some of the connection setting..... anyone can help me out there.....

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@cycheang

Whats your service provider? If you're on Smart Philippines you could try to manually re-configure your settings. Have a look at the Articles Section: MMS/GPRS/WAP Repository.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jarlz76

I always getting failed to do Hard Reset... Is there any Tips or More Explainations, How this stuff manually works while you do this Hard Reseting method? At least a step by step function while you doin this reseting...

Please do help me... Im getting tired to do this :oops: :lol: