Headphone adaptor review

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

Made by Pc-Mobile and branded as the ultimate accessory the

PXDAA-audio/headset adapter has quite a claim to uphold and it seems they are doing a pretty good job.

With many people unhappy with the headset that comes with the phone, there have been many complaints ranging from “the earpieces keep” falling out to “when I put the headset in my pocket it always gets tangled up.”

quite a few different adaptors and methods have been used to alleviate the problem, some seem to work but unfortunately lose the hands free feature. Now enter the PDXAA a retractable headset unit that allows you to use your favourite headphones but still keep the hands free feature 

This little beast came through my door in a jiffy bag, but instead of it being damaged there was a sturdy plastic case used for protection in transport, This will also make a very handy carry case to keep the unit in when not in use :D.

When retacted the main unit is only 90mm but when extended to it’s full length it’s 820 mm long. The supplied earpiece is 160mm long (inc plug) which to be honest I felt was a little too short another 100mm would have been better, unless you want to look like a secret agent using the mute button :lol:

The ear piece fits nicely but in case it does not there is a supplied foam cover.

Now down to the testing.

The unit’s very light as it’s made out of plastic but it does have a sturdy feel to it.

When extending you have to remember to pull both ends or the cable will snag but instructions detailing this were included. The 2.5mm plug is a right angled type so the cable is not obtrusive in any way which means there is less chance of knocking it and damaging the phones socket.

Sound quality, is adequate with the supplied earbud but the unit comes into it’s own when you use your own 3.5mm headphones. I looked a muppet using hands free with my ‘out of the ark’ headphones but I had to try it out all in the name of science :oops:.

The Mute button, works well I just hope MS or whoever gets their act together to enable the button to answerend calls etc. or just enable mapping of the button.

The volume control, is a dial type and the first time I used it it seemed to crackle but after that I could not replicate it again, so I presume it was just bedding in. The good bit about the volume control is that you can turn it completely off rather than just very quiet.

The cost is $26.50 and not a bad price for what it’s offering IMHO.

Not really much else to say except that this is a very impressive unit and the big question? is it worth the price? Yes I think it is.

For more details and information on ordering go to http://pc-mobile.net/spv.htm Pc-Mobile have told me that they are intending to make an Smartphone section to their site after some more testing.

PS sorry bout the pic quality they were taken with the camera in low light

Out of the box.jpg

Next to phone.jpg

My bulky naff headphones.jpg

Charge n sync + audio adaptor.jpg

Nice one Awarner! I may order one myself!! What about the adaptor, is it stereo? And how long does it take to arrive?

PS: That Maplin adaptor is a bit of a rock age stuff....

Guest Gorskar

Nice one Awarner. I'd love to have one as a replacement for my chunky Maplin adaptor. It looks like just the thing I want!

With $5 postage though its going to come to $30! - thats a fair bit of cash, and I'll have to think about it carefully.

Guest awarner [MVP]
Nice one Awarner! I may order one myself!! What about the adaptor, is it stereo? And how long does it take to arrive?

PS: That Maplin adaptor is a bit of a rock age stuff....

The adaptor is in stereo :lol: and as for delivery it took a couple of days but it came from inside the UK so I presume they may be sorting out a reseller here, but don't quote me on that.

That's 20 squid basically... And the minimum order is 11 us bucks (excl p&p), so the simple adaptor for 5bucks is no good, unless someone wants to get 2 of them...

Guest fozzie

I bought a couple of adapters from them last month. Delivery took a couple of days and build quality is good. (Make sure you order the Stereo adapter, PX35A and not the Mono PX25HA)

I used to buy a lot of Nokia & Siemens stuff from them ages ago. It's good to see the company is still around - it says something about the quality of their goods.

Guest Simon Desser
and as for delivery it took a couple of days but it came from inside the UK

When I ordered my Siemens adapter from this company, they emailed me to say that it had been sent from "their UK branch" and to expect it much quicker than they initially quoted :lol:

Guest eminenz

thanks Awarner! I am going to have a look at this company and its products. I may go for the adaptor but the headset is no good for me: i want headphones for music!

Cheers

Fernando

Guest awarner [MVP]
thanks Awarner! I am going to have a look at this company and its products. I may go for the adaptor but the headset is no good for me: i want headphones for music

That's the whole point of the headset is that you can use your headphones with it

but keep the handsfree as well. So it's an advanced adaptor.

Guest purpleturtle
That's 20 squid basically... And the minimum order is 11 us bucks (excl p&p), so the simple adaptor for 5bucks is no good, unless someone wants to get 2 of them...
Actually, it's not as bad as that - I have been thinking of getting one of their adaptors for a while, and here's what they had to say when I wrote to them last month about it.

This is pasted from an email.

It is 3.70 + 2.50 p/p.

No minimum order if you pay by NOCHEX.

Should take 2-3 dys.

Pc-Mobile

http://pc-mobile.net

>At 01:50 05/25/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello!

>I am living in the UK and am interested in ordering

>this item (PX35A : 2.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Audio Adapter for XDA)

>that does not appear to be listed on the

> http://pc-mobile.net/ukorder.htm page.

>Is it available for the UK?

>How much will it cost?

>What is the minimum order for NOCHEX payments

>excluding p&p?

>How long will it take to arrive? (to a Manchester

address in the UK)

>How can I track my order?

So, all you got to do is get a NOCHEX account (pretty easy) and check that the item is avail from their UK distrib (so you don't have to pay international p&p). I was going to post about this before, and try and set up some sort of mass-buy discount - might've helped me get off this newbie rating (FAO MODERATORS : which I really must protest about, cos I reckon my rating should be based on what I know not how many posts I've done!) - but then the p&p would prob be non-negotiable and being as it's 40% of the total cost we prob wouldn't save much overall, unless one person ordered like a hundred and sent them out to everyone who wanted one...and I definitely couldn't be arsed to be that person! :lol:

I was planning to hook the SPV up with Sennheiser HD25 h/phones, but the thing that stopped me buying the adaptor was that I don't think I could go without the mic attachment on the supplied SPV earbud h/phones. So the adaptor that awarner describes in this post seems like the perfect solution, but the thing stopping me ordering one is the sheer amount of wire that would be running all over the place - the HD25 have a 3metre cable, so that would be hanging off the cans then running back up (under shirt/jacket/whatever) to connect to the lapel mic (which I would have to have clipped to my lapel cos I definitely couldn't be bothered fishing it out of my pocket just to answer - I might as well just get the phone out!) and then another wire from the lapel mic to the phone in my pocket! Incidentally awarner, I'd like to know if you found having wires all over the place to be a problem, being as you've actually used this adaptor with a proper set of cans?

On a slightly unrelated topic, this has got me thinking how useful bluetooth would have been

Guest awarner [MVP]
(FAO MODERATORS : which I really must protest about, cos I reckon my rating should be based on what I know not how many posts I've done!)

How about being based on what members contribute in the way of advice and support :lol: number of posts usually indicate this. (I do say usually)

Guest purpleturtle

So the (advice and support) reply to...

Incidentally awarner, I'd like to know if you found having wires all over the place to be a problem, being as you've actually used this adaptor with a proper set of cans?

...is?

Not trying to kick off or anything, but am quite interested in the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awarner [MVP]
So the (advice and support) reply to...

Sorry for not replying sooner I've been away.

as for the extra length of cable I folded my headphone cable up and used

a small cable tie to secure it, they did not seem to get in the way.

Also dmmh

yes the supplied headset ony comes with one earpiece but the whole point

of the unit is so that you can plug your favourite headphones in.

Guest purpleturtle

Assuming you folded the cable away at the bottom end and put it in your pocket, what did you do about answering calls? As the microphone is built in as part of the adaptor for the 3.5mm jack, this would have been in your pocket as well so wasn't it a hassle to have to fish the mic out to answer calls?

Ta :)

Guest awarner [MVP]

I folded the cable and put it in a top pocket, so the mic and volume control

were still close by hanging outof the pocket, so no fishing needed.

It would be a pain if you did not have a top pocket, but most of my jacketsshirts do

otherwise it would be hassle and easier to unplug the headset.

Guest purpleturtle

Folding up 3m of headphone cable (or even 1 metre!) and putting it into my top pocket might be a bit of a problem, so it's back to the drawing board for me I guess.... (sigh)

Guest awarner [MVP]
Folding up 3m of headphone cable (or even 1 metre!) and putting it into my top pocket might be a bit of a problem, so it's back to the drawing board for me I guess.... (sigh)

3m :shock:

Normal headphones ie Walkman type are not much of a problem as they

use a fine cable but I guess you're suggesting a more professional type.

If that's the case you may be better off using the 2.5mm to 3.5

right-angled adaptor that they do and sacrifice the external volume control.

• 1 month later...
Guest nickcornaglia

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My cat ate mine!

I had the headset two days and he ate it! :evil: Right out of the box...chewed a retractable section of wire and the headset section of wire!

Then he ate my left speaker wire on my 6 month old PC and previously, the sensor wire on my exercise machine.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Another thing I have noticed is the retractable part ie the same as the mini sync is smaller

than other units that you can buy, and by quite a bit as well :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Gorskar

Well I just ordered one.

My old headset got run over (dont ask me how)

So in light of the new laws coming in I needed a new headset, and I thought may as well make it a decent one. At current exchange rate incl postage it works out to £18.64 which is only a bit more than orange want for the rubbishy included one.

Do you know how long they take to deliver?