SPVMan goes V1.0 - 19th July 2003 - Final version

Guest muff

Guest fumaras

ok thanks muff.

In version 0.06a, if i finish the first level with normal sound sometimes the second level begin with the ghost sound ... (if i finish the first level with the ghost sound, now the second level start normaly).

Guest jaknife2000

Hi ya,

Love the app, just had a problem with it tho, if played while it is docked, I just had the thing popup with the waiting coloured box, and the keyboard froze on me.

The game played on, but obviously i died, and the man went to the left when started up, but still no keys.

When the game ended, i had no control over restarting, quiting anything.

I had to pull the battery off and restart the phone.

Dunno if anyone else had got this, its as if the game did not have the phones focus, i couldn't do anything / press anykey.

It was all working fine, this is version 0.06a i am running too.

Maybe more simple classics should be re-done rather than ported, such as the classic space invaders.

Created from scratch certainly makes them fit perfectly, properly.

I do have another question actually, is there pause key ?

I like the way the GNUboy works, when you press the voice memo key it pauses, maybe something like this would be useful ?

new version up 0.07a

improved control code - thanks for the heads-up adrianfox

better catch code for potential sound loop errors

jaknife2000: not had this problem myself, and whilst developing I play in the cradle all the time

the new control code should mean that you have control of the pacman, but if the system isn't passing the messages to the program then it won't quit as it should

but I doubt any app that suffers this sort of collapse can :)

Guest midnight

i had the same prob as jacknife2000 and i was running v0.3a heheh

i wasnt playing with it in the cradle, but it did lock out the keypad, and the pacman went to the left, after dying, game over appeared, and thats where it stayed, power button wouldnt work, had to take out the battery.

bugger, 2 reports of the same issue - that means it's a problem ;)

I'll see what I can do to close the app if it loses focus, but that's really hard to re-create and therefore test

was the phone running any other apps whilst you were playing pacman?

------------------------------------------

whilst I'm here I just want to say a big thank you to everyone for the support and comments

this is the first game I've written for a Windows based system, never mind for a mobile phone, and so the learning curve has been interesting

next game will be done quicker :)

muff

Guest Gorskar

Well, considering you made the 1st version in a couple of days that can hardly be considered slow!!

NB sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I noticed the powerpill sounds after end of level bug in this version also, just after the first level, which kept going till I got a power pill (in 2nd level) and the powerpill mode ended. This is the first version where I have noticed this btw.

Well, considering you made the 1st version in a couple of days that can hardly be considered slow!!
ah but time is a relative and flexible measurement :)

NB sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I noticed the powerpill sounds after end of level bug in this version also, just after the first level, which kept going till I got a power pill (in 2nd level) and the powerpill mode ended. This is the first version where I have noticed this btw.

can you explain this more thoroughly, as it doesn't happen to me???

from what I've read people are finishing the first level with a powerpill and it's associated sounds, which stop until the new level is started, and when level 2 begins the sound reappears

is this correct???? does it only happen when going from level 1 to level 2??

I REALLY want to nail this bug, as it appears to be the last bug

thanks for the help in nailing this

muff

Guest jaknife2000

Hi ya mate,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, i go swimming on Monday nights.

Anyway, nope nothing else was running in the background when it froze on me.

I had only just copied the file over. given it a minute or two, then tried it.

Something i did encounter back on a previous version, and i know somebody else encountered it too, was back on version 0.04a after installing on the phone, i had to reboot for it to work.

It threw me back to the menu, i checked the memory status using task manager, and it said i had over 6mb free.

Reboot, and it worked fine.

And with this version 0.06a after i removed the battery, (from freezing) it seems to work ok now.

Very strange, i appear to only have issues if i install it and DONT reboot, after doing so.

Off to get version 0.07a now.

Keep up the excellent work.

PS. Please think about the space invaders request.

Please think about the space invaders request.

the thought has crossed my mind, as has asteroids :)

I'm going to look at the relative aspect ratios to review their suitability for the phone - just as I did with Pacman before writing it, which just happened to be the perfect aspect ratio for the SPV

unless the game works at the aspect ratios of the phone I won't bother

as it happens I already have a version of asteroids (under Flash) that I can test the new aspect ratios on before porting it to the SPV

my concern with space invaders is the width of the screen, but I'll test it once I've got Pacman nailed down

Guest midnight

forget space invaders, galaga :) do the namco collection hehe :wink:

only had it do that crash once, but then, i aint played it a lot to be honest

forget space invaders, galaga :) do the namco collection hehe :wink:

yeah, cos I need to everything to piss off Namco dont I ;)

just saw a Vodaphone advert that mentioned the ability to play Pacman, hehe

Guest jaknife2000

Well Mr Muff, version 0.07a seems to be all LOVELY !!!!

No problems with crashing on me.

The sounds seem nice and crisp as i remember them, the keypress reaction times seem fast on this one which in a game is always good.

All i would say it need now is to keep the high score, not too worried about internet posting the score, just keeping it local would be nice, and like you say the cut sequences.

I do have another question tho, bit of a silly one i guess tho, more or a wondering question really, the actual maze layout, is obviously hard coded, just wondered if it was to be read from a maze.dat file or something, you could edit / create your own. Just me thinking aloud really.

Superb game tho, concidering the time it has taken from start to finish.

I see what you mean tho about the aspect ratio, maybe Space Invaders, if you flipped the screen 90 ? Or as Mr Midnight mentioned Galaga, or Galaxian would be cool.

But HEY slow down there boy, the man is busy on this one, so let him be.

hehe

All i would say it need now is to keep the high score, not too worried about internet posting the score, just keeping it local would be nice, and like you say the cut sequences.
the scores will hopefully be retained in the next version - need to sort the code out for this though - but should be fairly straight forward

cut sequences are a differences issue - they require a lot of specific graphics + code for them, and will probably take a little longer

I do have another question tho, bit of a silly one i guess tho, more or a wondering question really, the actual maze layout, is obviously hard coded, just wondered if it was to be read from a maze.dat file or something, you could edit / create your own. Just me thinking aloud really.

at the moment the code is customised heavily for this maze, and is not really generic

at some point in the future (once this one is bug free), I may review the code to be more generic for external maze editting

even if I decide against further extensions I may release the code to the group so you can all play with the raw code - if that's of any use to you all

muff

Guest Gorskar

Well, I have so far been unable to recreate the powerpill sound bug. It only happened the once, the first time after I put version 0.07 on my phone. As far as I can remember the powerpill sound kept going right through, and didnt stop when the 1st level ended, but I'm not certain now.

Anyway, If it happens again I'll come back to you with as much detail as possible.

Guest fumaras

sorry muff but i have the same problem for sound in 0.07a.

If this can help you :

1)

At the end of the first level i take the last flashing point and catch (or not) some ghost, after few second the game return in normal mode (with normal sound) and i finish the first level (2-5seconds after the end of the ghost sound).

At the begining of the second level the sound is the ghost sound not the normal sound.

I test this 2 times and same result.

I put off my SPV then turn on and launch Pacman and at the begining of the first level the sound are ghost sound!!!

2) just one time (with 0.07a), after a game over the SPV make some classic operation but game are totaly freeze.

return key don't work, nothing work.

I standby some minutes but must remove the battery.

version 0.08a now up

- fixed sound loop bug?? we can only hope

fumaras, could you please try this version as you seem to be the person who is reporting this most consistantly

thank you

muff

Guest fumaras

Great work muff :( ,

i think it's ok now with your 0.08a version, i not see any problem with the ghost sound :lol:

now i test playing and this is what i see:

- when i catch a fruit the sound is little strange (certainly because sound fruit volume is very weak), it's normal ?

- i play somes levels (think 8 ,i see 2 oranges, 2 tomatos, 2 slice water melon fruit) and the game is very speed :) (but the speed is not regular and constant, probably because spv make some little and normal calculation).Very hard to play but very funny ;) :D .

- my spv make some normal operation and now it's ok the game freeze a little (normally) but not crash :(. All seem ok (perhaps my last removed battery with 0.07a is the key ?).

PS:

if possible for futur version (it's just a wish because your version is already very good :lol: thank muff for this great SPV pacman :wink: :lol: )

- a key to pause

- a highscore saved in a little file like pacman.sav

- best management of speed and ghost displacement and tactic

- less important: a menu sound for volume or like now a possibity to make sound on or off but saved in config or save file because sound are always on when quit game and restart.

Guest fumaras

now i see two flower (i think it's flower) and a sort of yellow cake.

my score is 72430 but it's very hard to play now, speed is crazy :) (try and you'll undestand ;) ).

the problem is not really the high speed but the regularity of the speed that is very (and too) variant.