Site Notice - We are currently investigating an issue with missing download links. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. PaulOBrien

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Has anyone used a PC Inrared Receiver w/ the SPV?

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Has anyone here ever used the spv w/ a PC infrared receiver. What I'm referring to is an external peripheral that you plug in via PS2 or USB port, and not one that comes standard with a laptop. My question comes as I have seem to have "worn out" or damaged the metal where the normal sync wire connects to at the bottom of the device and am thinking of buying an infrared receiver for my pc as an alternative to having to buy a new phone.

Thanks for your help!

Posted · Report post

Yeah, i use it all the time, with no problems. The only real downside is it's slow! However, it's fine for transferring smallish files and basic exploring of the phone and syncing.

Posted · Report post

So what software do you use? I've got an IRMan reciever which I use to control Winamp, DVD movies etc and was wondering if there was anything else i could do with it. I'm just remembering....think the IRman is limited to receiving data only...which is kinda limiting...oh well...

FrankyG

Posted · Report post

Simon, does your receiver connect through a usb or serial port?

Posted · Report post

Simon, does your receiver connect through a usb or serial port?

I use it with both with no problems. On my desktops at home and at work, I have a Serial to IrDa adapter. And on my laptop I've got a USB to IrDa adapter (Cos Sony decided that if it's got bluetooth it doesn't need infrared :x )

Posted · Report post

Well, I think I'll go ahead and buy an IR receiver then.

Thanks for your help!!

Posted · Report post

It has to be an IRDA standard one to work with the phone. The systems that allow control of Winamp etc won't work unless they do this.

Posted · Report post

i gotta FIR fast infrared it works good on mine

Posted · Report post

on my laptop thou

Posted · Report post

I've only ever seen the Fast IR on laptops myself as well, the serial external ones for desktops go up to a max of 115000 baud, which is pretty slow nowadays. Fast IR is 4MB though, much better.

There is a bug with Active Sync though...you can't seem to do the first sync over IR.

Posted · Report post

I think you can get motherboards with headers (connections) for a FIR device. 115000 is unusably slow, it's a pity that the phone is limited to this.