SPV E200 (SPV2)

Guest sebset

Guest sebset

Did you read this in the microsoft.public.smartphone newsgroup?

Re: I saw the new SPV2 ...

Just got off the phone with orange,, got a contact there...

The new SPV - E200 has a 32k rom Microsoft 2003 software and a 640x320

built in camera,,, he said it should be realeased around september

this year... It does look identical to E100 at a distance, but is

subtly different up close,,, Clearer TFT screen - joystick/pad is

better than even E100, blue tooth and he said improved speed via a

faster processor.

He also said (and giggled) more reliable.....   hmmmm !!!!!

Anyway,   gonna get my hands on one next week... he said he will bring

a test version round for me to look at,,, I will take a few pics of

it an let you know exactly what improvements I can find...  

I'll ask him if i can load some of my games and utils on it, and

really stress it out....  

It sound great,,, was gonna upgrade to E100, but gonna wait a couple

of months for this beasty - if it works as well as he says - WOW what

more can I say....

Posted via MoDaCo SmartPhone -http://www.MoDaCo.com/smartphone

Guest scaryscotsman

Hope this is true! Small trouser movement over the built-in camera and bluetooth! Didn't think that it would be launched so soon though. Surely they have a load of E100's to shift?

Did you read this in the microsoft.public.smartphone newsgroup?

I really hope that's supposed to be 32MB of ROM as oppossed to 32k or we're all going to be a tad disappointed :)

Sorry - just being picky - couldn't resist :roll:

Hax

Guest Paul [MVP]

I would question the validity of this post...

My Orange contacts, who are very high up in Orange, inform me that the SPV2 design is not yet finalised!

The SPV2 looks like a Tanager, because it is a Tanager! The prototype devices are in a Tanager shell, with a camera added.

Read our HTC Voyager exclusive for more info...

BT and Camera are old news.

P

Have they ever of heard of "walk before you run" - they need to fix the hundreds of bugs in version 1 first!

Perhaps they have fixed the problems in the SPV2. I suspect that they (Orange/HTC) have been spending more time concentrating on developing the next version than they have on fixing bugs in the current version. They know that the time when the SPV2 is released (last quarter of this year I believe) is also the start of the period when the SPV "early adopters" bought their SPV's - i.e. 1 year contract up and so they are probably hoping that if they get the SPV2 right (and can prove this) then those who bought an SPV at the end of last year will be happy enough to buy an SPV2 to replace their buggy SPV...

Some people at work call me a cynic - can't imagine why :)

Hax

Wanna place a bet Hax?

I would love to say "yes" but being a software engineer myself, I know how terifying a software release can be and how there is nearly always a bug of some sort in every release - some trivial or minor oversights that are more or less invisible to the "general" public, but to the in-depth critic (i.e. the software engineer) make the product look slightly unfinished and instill a sense of dissatisfaction with the product. Other bugs are major showstoppers that slap you in the face and are just damned annoying and sometimes embarrassing. Most of these bugs are caused because of tight project timelines which reduces both the development time and the testing/debugging time (a project I'm working on at the moment has had the software goals and specs adjusted at least 3 times (and I'm talking *major* changes here) in the last year, the timescales reduced by about 3 months and the custom ASIC (which includes the processor) is running about 8 months late. However, it is still expected to be delivered on time - opinion of most of us: "fat chance!"). However, I kinda hope that with the SPV2, Orange, HTC and Microsoft have had sufficient time to tboth develop and test. They've also got a "head-up" on problems that they are likely to encounter...

Anyway, I live in hope that when my contract expires in December, the SPV2 has at least been released and is hopefully stable even if not entirely bug free....

Hax

Guest squall

its something to look forward to, windows has always be small improvements per verison, i think smartphone will be the same. from what i can gather the hardware for the spv2 is going to be something great - intigrated camera blue tooth faster processor and more memory, there will be bugs in hardware and software but i will have one.