Midlets that DO work with the MiTAC Java Runtime!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest FrankyG
Might note that JavaMan doesn't like the java app names longer than 9 letters. It'll give an error "alert: Cannot access j9midpng. Make sure the file is not in use or try opening it from within an application".

Is there a way round this? Would renaming the java apps work?

Whats the purpose of the 2 cabs that we have to install - I can see that 2 new apps are now on the phone but why are 2 needed, how do they differ from each other? Can't get anything to work right now, nothing locked up or hard reset either...nada!

Is there a way round this? Would renaming the java apps work?

Whats the purpose of the 2 cabs that we have to install - I can see that 2 new apps are now on the phone but why are 2 needed, how do they differ from each other? Can't get anything to work right now, nothing locked up or http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset either...nada!

The big one is the java runtime, and the other one is just a launcher.

Guest CamperBoy

Anyway, back to the topic . . . :)

I've got the following working on my SPV all downloaded from the sites mentioned in this thread.

UK Lottery results

TennisS60 (for Nokia's)

Spruce Tennis

sp8ball (magic 8ball)

Spruce Alarm Clock (with analogue clock)

SpruceStopwatch

Notepad (Office.jar)

Genie

Advisor

EmailViewer (reqwireless.com)

http://www.midlet.org

http://www.innograte.com

http://www.mobiled.net/download.html

http://www.spruce.jp/freemidlets/

http://www.jams.it/

Cool! 8)

Anyone found any more decent midlet sites :?:

Guest Matt Whitfield
my advise is to run the setup without phone on cradle. the programs ie metalstrike get saved in my programs under mitac the all you do is download the cab. next time you put phone on cradle click no to cancel install  :)

Good move. I got the following:

CStar.CAB

CStar.ini

game.CAB

game.ini

game2.CAB

game2.ini

MIDI.CAB

MIDI.ini

PhoneBackup.CAB

PhoneBackup.ini

PhoneExplorer.CAB

PhoneExplorer.ini

PhoneReader.CAB

PhoneReader.ini

Taskmgn.CAB

Taskmgn.ini

UrlPlugin.CAB

UrlPlugin.ini

MoRFLeZ, or indeed anyone, have you managed to successfully install all of these CAB files without hanging your phone?

Cheers,

Guest spacemonkey

I'm currently working through testing all these cabs and will post a full list of what they are and whether they wreck your phone.

Just as a preliminary thing tho. DO NOT INSTALL CSTAR. After installing CStar, the next time you reboot the phone will almost finish booting and then reboot again and get stuck in this loop. As in you will have to hard reset the phone.

If you've already installed it but not rebooted yet you may be able to uninstall it and save yourself some grief

Guest MoRFLeZ

Like Spacemonkey said .. stay clear of the cstar cab.

I have installed all of the other cabs, and haven't had any problems yet. I've rebooted my phone quite a few times .. and it's been a few days. So I would imagine that they are okay.

Still .. if you haven't backed anything up, and if you don't want to do a hard reset. Don't install anything. I don't see much use of most of the cabfiles - except PhoneBackup which I find VERY useful!!

Guest Matt Whitfield

MoRFLeZ, did you have any trouble installing JavaMan.cab and JavaWM.cab on their own?

Am I safe to give those a go or might I be risking a hard reset?

Cheers,

Guest spacemonkey

OK, the conclusion... these are all as tested as I can test them...

URLPlugin.cab - adds a homescreen, UrlPlugin.dll and setLang.exe to /IPSM/Application Data/Home. Nothing useful or exciting... if the plugin takes some settings it might be useful to homescreen builders.

Taskmgn.cab - a very limited task manager. It shows a list of apps running and a total memory allowing killing of apps. Doesn't show processes or any more detail

PhoneReader.cab - this looks like a text file reader. Didn't have any appropriate files but I get the impression they need to be open text files, NOT ebook or doc or pdf or anything

PhoneExplorer - a file explorer utility. Smart Explorer is much better but this seems OK.

PhoneBackup - Don't know much about this yet but it's talking about backups, presumably to SD Card? Not sure whether it's full IPSM or just data or what... will try it more tonight.

MIDI.cab - put's 10 midi files into /IPSM/Application Data or /Storage Card/Application Data. I think that's all it does.

game.cab and game2.cab - Metalstrike. A sort of walking along, above view shooting game, like commando or something. game2.cab is an additional level I think.

CStar.cab - DO NOT INSTALL. I think this is something todo with enabling chinese characters as I noticed a number of text fields affected. However after installing CStar on SPV the phone will die on the next reboot and require a hard reset.

JavaMan and Midpng_smartphone.cab will install the java virtual machine. Then you must create a directory /IPSM/Temp and put your .jar and .jad files in it. Java runs fine, but some apps run pretty slow, additionally some apps that access the network need a setting change as mentioned by Terwin:

Just figured out how to make a few midlets work that didn't before. midlets that need to connect to the internet didn't have security permissions to do so, so they weren't working. I've just successfully used an irc midlet called Virca and a telnet app called mutelnet with the changed security settings.  

Code:  

Here is what I changed to make the apps work:  

1) Drag IPSMProgram FilesMIDPNGlibsecurity.policy to the desktop. 

2) Open it in a text editor like notepad or wordpad.

3) add the line "allow: javax.microedition.io.Connector.socket" under the "domain: untrusted" entries.

4) Save the file and replace the one on your phone with the new file.[/code]

This allowed me to use a bunch of midlets that wouldn't work before.  

That's it...

Guest dinoalbert

PhoneBackup - installed it but I cant understand how it works...the right softkey gives you a choice of 1.Storage Card and 2.Flash Rom

What does it mean? If I choose for example Storage Card...will it save my IPSM to the Storage Card? That could be logical. BUT if I choose Flash Rom.....will it save my IPSM to the Flash Rom? But how can I restore my IPSM from Flash Rom after a Hard Reset?

Guest vijay555

People, you are aware that there's a mitac manual with the software, or at least was yesterday?!

Read thru, nothing exciting.

PhoneBackup only backs up data, ie contacts, tasks, voice notes, avantago channels(!) etc to local storage.

Phonereader is relatively useful, best free reader we've got (no cleartype!), text must be saved in unicode (since ascii doesn't support chinese char code set), but just load docs into notepad, then save as unicode (in xp). save in my docs

Spacemonkey: can you figure out where to save text files to read from SD card? the manual is vague... just says, "on the sd card", but not automatically found AFAIK...

I had no probs with Cstar, but ignored anyway.

PhoneCity is a lovely app IMHO, but not on that list...

may require some resediting to make it less garish tho! spacemonkey/midnight?

BTW spacemonkey, long time no see. did you see my post in development forum about the other ARM handheld... thought that some of the code might be portable to SP2002... you're the man if anyone is!

dinoalbert: you could only recover your phone data (NOT IPSM - this is only backed up thru Bootloader) if you've got the phonebackup installed on sd card, with an autoloading cab file or something.

Then, if there's a hardreset - put in your sd card.

Assuming that you're using a rom that software unlocked (ie non uk 1.5) then you'll have no certificate probs, phonebackup will load up, and you can restore instantly.

V

Guest MoRFLeZ
PhoneBackup - installed it but I cant understand how it works...the right softkey gives you a choice of 1.Storage Card and 2.Flash Rom  

It might just be me who thinks its extremely useful! But I just can't get enough of backups *hehe*

What it does:

First select if you want to Backup or Restore

Then press next

Say ok

Tick the things you want to backup

1) Contacts

2) Calendar

3) Task

4) Channels

5) Notes

6) Voice Notes

Click Next

It tells ya how large the backup with be

Click Backup

It writes a backup to your SD Card or your IPSM (whatever you want)

That file you can save on your PC as well as on your SD Card. So it's handy after a hard reset or whatnot...

Personally I've had some mishaps with Outlook *sniff* - so I find a second backup really nice.

Guest vijay555

phone reader phone reader phone reader.

Someone figure out where to put files on sd!

most of the other apps are fairly niche.. but try em all out, nice to have some "fresh blood" to play with!

can't wait to bootleg Smartphone 2003 :wink:

V

Guest MrSpoons
"]The EmailViewer from reqwireless (reqwireless.com), DOES work :-)

P

what settings did you use to get this running - I keep getting an html error when connecting via GPRS. It works fine when I use the pass through

installing java didnt kill my phone either :)

Guest MoRFLeZ

what settings did you use to get this running - I keep getting an html error when connecting via GPRS. It works fine when I use the pass through

installing java didnt kill my phone either :)

Did ya do this:

1) Drag IPSMProgram FilesMIDPNGlibsecurity.policy to the desktop.  

2) Open it in a text editor like notepad or wordpad.  

3) add the line "allow: javax.microedition.io.Connector.socket" under the "domain: untrusted" entries.  

4) Save the file and replace the one on your phone with the new file.  

hmmmm I can only install jar. ................how do I get these jad. files working???? my phone dont find them.....is it correct that jad. files only are 1kb ?? what di I do? :?

Guest Scarfman007

Well, theoretically, I guess a .jad file could be 1Kb in size! Any program that you d/l for your Smartphone probably will be much bigger than this though, hence I guess that your download cut-off unexpectedly - this is probably why your Smartphone isn't detecting them.

Check the site you downloaded them from - they may list the actual size, if not, or if there is a size mis-match, then I reccommed you re-download the .jad file and see if it works a second time around ...

Hope that helps some,

Scarfman

Guest nedge2k

Has anyone found the reg value to change the path from IPSMTemp to some place on the SD? I know jads/jars are quite small but my IPSM is runnin on empty, around 200k! Also, is everyone positive that Java cant be installed on the SD?

Guest fraser

Anyone know if it's possible to create a shortcut to run a midlet directly? Or has anyone got a list of command line options for JavaMan or the other exe? I'm sure it can be done, I'd be surprised if it were otherwise.

Has anyone found the reg value to change the path from IPSMTemp to some place on the SD? I know jads/jars are quite small but my IPSM is runnin on empty, around 200k! Also, is everyone positive that Java cant be installed on the SD?

Me and Brody tried for hours to get this to work, we got Java running from the sd card perfectly, but JavaMan will not run from anywhere but ipsm otherwise it complains it cant find the Java VM files. If you dont want to use javaman, then java will still work on the sd card without a glitch

Just to clarify amo's post, the JavaMan executable will run from the storage card but wont then link to the Java app (MIDP) as it should unfortunately. That means that if you want JavaMan to work properly and run the Java files via the MIDP app then it will have to be on the phone unfortunately...

Guest agent.m

found a site to check out!!! used to go there for midlets/news every day when i had my siemens sl45i. shadow fighter demo works. gonna try other demos that say midp.