Hardware Please - United States!!! United States!!!

Guest harmsd

Guest harmsd

Dear G-O-D,

Please finally release a real Microsoft SmartPhone for the UNITED STATES!! I am tired of hearing about crap from France and the Netherlands (no offense). :cry:

If anyone has any concise information on activating a Microsoft SmartPhone on a US network TODAY and/or how it performs, please post it here for all to read. No Pocket PC Phone Edition posts please.

As far as I know (and I don't have a smartphone), these are my options if I wanted to get a real-life SmartPhone today:

1) Find a rogue company to buy an old-school Tanager model from, then try to activate it on my local GSM network.

2) Purchase the 2002 SmartPhone SDK which has a Red E prototype, and try to activate that.

Thanks,

Sean Harms

Guest nobznss

There's plenty of ways to go about it. I just sold mine and I'm in the US. If they're unlocked you can use them on any GSM network here in the states, just put in your SIM. I'm working on a way to try out the new Samsung i600. That's going to probably be the first smartphone released here in the US. You're looking at the end of the 4th quarter before that'll be coming out and it'll probably be on Verizon Wireless... it won't be GSM. The other option is to get it from e-bay or ebay uk. They sell for around $300 for an SPV and about $450 or so for a SPVx. There's a couple people on the Pinoy section that would hook you up for around that. I think they come stock unlocked so you don't have to worry about unlocking them... or is it stock de-certified... hmmm... I can't remember. I've got a couple contacts there if you're interested. Just give me a PM and I'll see what I can do. Hope I helped.

Guest nickcornaglia

I've been using an Orange SPV here in the US for months now under T-Mobile with no problems at all. They are readily available on ebay and in the FOR SALE section of this site.

I also just sold my SPV and have a Mitac Mio on it's way.

I would highly recommend the phone for a million reasons. If you're really itchy for one...there is no reason why you can't get one thru the methods described above...at a really good price considering there is no Network subsidization here in the US.

Go for it! You know you want to! :)

Guest Terwin

I've been using a Mitac Mio 8380 with T-Mobile no problem. Just went to a t-mobile store at the local mall and they dropped in a free sim and I was up and running in about 5 minutes. They billed the activation to my first month bill, so I walked out of hte store without having to pay anything at the time. In my area t-mobile and at&t are availalbe for gsm/gprs phones. t-mobile has a better pricing structure imho. Ask about their $19.95 for unlimited gprs addon package.

Guest Cyberdim

Got my Red-e SmartPhone two months ago through Microsoft developer kit. I have been to Europe and back to USA with my Red-e and T-Mobile SIM; it worked like a charm. Highly recommended. This is the phone that most of the Microsoft developers are using as their personal phone. So it is most likely that support and updates will be quick. (I've already seen this model running with SmartPhone 2003, some where in Redmond that flash update exist :wink: )

Also you will be buying from a company that offers support and limited warranty in USA. This is really important since you will be spending $450-500.

I'm quite happy with mine and highly recommended

PS: It is unlocked, so you can use it with T-Mobile, AT&T or Cingular...

EverLink Wireless

Microsoft SmartPhone 2002 Developer Kit

smartphone.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia
I have been using the SPVx for about a month now, no problem at all. I am on Cingular, the only thing that sucks is Cingular doesn't have MMS
I still dont see the big whoop with MMS.

I'm selling a Tanager (SPV e100) here!

You didn't sell that thing YET! :shock: :)