How to use SAP as modem for pocketPC

Guest leemrvnt

Guest smartrey

Im using my SAP as a modem for my laptop to connect internet access using gprs of SMART. It's a nice one with the speed of 115.2 kbps. For the moment I dont know yet for the rate for ten minutes continues usage with almost 300,000 bytes received. I will have to check it . Im here at the remote area where no ISP available but still able to connect internet using SMART GPRS. I will post later on how to configure your PC/Laptop and smartphone to connect internet through GPRS.

Guest ppcsurfr

You an use the SAP as a modem for the Pocket PC even just via IR.

I've done this and I have no problems with it... except that I have to hold both of them in an odd position to keep the connection going.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Guest ppcsurfr
@Carlo

How can i do that? do i need to install driver/software for that? where can i get it?

No drivers needed.

Just go to Programs>Accessories>Modem Link

Choose IrCOMM

Then, Menu>Activate

In your Pocket PC, make sure that your Pocket PC is set to dial *99#

In the extra modem dial string, type in +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet","",0,0

Do not type anything in the user name field or the password field. then connect. If this doesn't work, type in smart in both username and password fields. This should allow you to connect.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

thanks a lot for the great tip !!! finally after 6 months or something like that ... ITS WORRRRKING ... !!!

tip : in the netherlands, the required username = ORANGE without a password ....

Guest smartrey
Php268.00 for just a measly 12 minutes? man, that's pretty stiff!!!!

Yup. Very expensive. It is better to use internet in cafe for PHP 20.00 per hour.

Guest ppcsurfr

Well, you should be able to use the SAP as a modem for any device as long as you enter the extra dial string modem command...

And for those who are shocked about GPRS bills... that's why you can switch off the show image functin of PIE... this saves a lot since the images are not downloaded.

MSN Messenger for instance can cost only PhP5 even if ou connect for several hours if only minimal data is transmitted or received.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Guest smartrey
And for those who are shocked about GPRS bills... that's why you can switch off the show image functin of PIE... this saves a lot since the images are not downloaded.

Mhabuhay! ~ Carlo

Carlo, How to switch off the image function in SAP?Thanks

Carlo, How to switch off the image function in SAP?Thanks

Maybe i can answer that... :)

Open internet explorer, click MENU, select OPTIONS, GENERAL, then uncheck Show pictures option. :(

In connection with GPRS bills – does the [G] sign above the antenna icon indicates that GPRS still in use? I still see it even though IE is finished downloading the page. I turn Off/On the radio just to make sure GPRS is closed. Is that a good practice? Any other way to automate it?

Guest matanglawin

@neo168

i usually just press the end button to stop the data call...it's enough to make the small G on top of the antenna icon disappear. :wink:

Hi Mr Carlo! Can i use the SAP (as a modem also) for my Palm (Tungsten T)? I used my T68i (before) and now T610. Kaso, prepaid ako dito sa T610 (globe), kaya medyo hindi ko na ginagamit. Hindi ko magamit ang SAP. Plan ako sa SMART, would you care to help me please on this... Thanks a lot!