orange shop, call center staff not too clued up

Guest bikespod

Guest bikespod

went into an orange shop yesterday to check out spvE100 and ask about E200. They had never heard of modaco, despite one of them getting a 200 soon, put them right informing them it was the most invaluable site for smart phone users. It seemed tech support had no idea too when i had crashing problems, modaco saved me a 10 day wait for tech advice. have PM'd mr.orange, but really :roll: considering this is the flagship phone and apparently the best generator of non voice revenue they should get up to speed. come on orange work with the people who make your phones smart. :!:

Guest spacecowboy6982

Hehe. My mate used to work in the Orange shop and didnt have a bloody clue about mobile phones. What they do is read out of this book (their bible) and define the words. So if you ask what GPRS is, they'll give you the answer straight ouuta the book.

To be fair to OCS and Orange Trainers they do the best job they can and if they cant then its up to us guys here to help out others, even if the Orange staff are getting paid.

spacecowboy

Guest spacecowboy6982
im not even gonna bother...
I wasnt being disrespectful Amo. Cant believe im gonna have to quote myself either :roll:

To be fair to OCS and Orange Trainers they do the best job they can and if they cant then its up to us guys here to help out others

spacecowboy

You can't really blame OCS - they are only trained to read out instructions from a series of onscreen standard questions that they ask you. Then their computer tells them what to say - in my case that was usually 'refer to technical support!' :twisted:

I have found the CS dept usually very willing to help (except when you get the odd muppet who tells you you're MMS didn't send because it's cloudy, or whatever!).

I think most problems arise because of the total lack of contactable tech support. The whole process of CS emailing them & the 10 day (minimum) wait for a callback, which in my case was usually telling you to switch the handset on/off!! :evil:

Orange don't need to improve their CS team - it's for low end users who want to know how to send a SMS & stuff. Advanced users need a technical team that can be contacted as easily as 156. The phones have moved on so much in the last year that I think it's a bit lame for Orange not to have a proper technical support network for people who have problems that CS can't address - without having to wait 10 days/months/years for a callback, which doesn't even come from the tech dept, so if it doesn't resolve the problem, you're right back to square 1 again & another 10 day/month... wait. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thank God for Modaco!! :wink:

Why should we provide you with a "technical team" the phone isnt our product, our product is the network and we support it fully. If you need help with the network then we WILL be able to help. We dont have to know god knows what about god knows which phones we might have launched over the years (to a certain extent). Im sorry but if you walk into a Dixons or currys with a broken TV (not only have you got really strong arms, but) you wont get any consise support that you would need. They cant tell you exactly how to repair it or whatever, thats the job of the Manufacturer - which we are NOT!

And I would also add that Orange quite clearly DO offer a technical support team - I was just complaining about the difficulties posed by the way it is currently organised. Orange also recently ran an expensive advertising campaign telling us all to go to their stores to be 'trained' in using our phones - no mention of NETWORK only support in there!

The fact is Orange offer a complete phone & service package for sale. They supply phone, network service & offer a customer support service - itself divided into billing & HANDSET sections. As a new customer, you are specifically told in the Orange shop that there is a full customer handset telephone support service (ie 156). They deal striclty with handset issues. So I fail to see how you can realistically say that you think Orange isn't obliged to provide a reasonable standar from that service.

Like I said, the service IS in place, I was commenting on the EFFECTIVENESS of the way it currently operates.

Amo - if your opinions were reflected word for word in Orange promotional material ... how popular do you think that would be as a business decision?? :wink:

By the way, do you work in the marketing dept?? :)

Guest morpheus2702

If you think the average Orange store is bad, have a look at your local PC World. Millions spent of advertising, swanky stores etc - but the actual sales & assistance is left to those that I can only describe as KFC rejects with the mental agility of a rabbit dropping.

The model Orange has for retail is the same for most store operations in the UK & US: i.e. create pull-through by mass advertising and promotion, and all you need then is staff to take the cash.

Great when you have a product that needs little selling, is easily understood by the consumer. Otherwise a big pile of ****.

Guest mattscholey

I have to say that my experiences with Orange customer service has been good. Apart from one unacceptable issue (now resolved), they've been helpful, for the most part friendly, and far better than any other networks support.

I think Orange are trying to provide a full support package for both the network and the handset, and I would certainly pay extra for a network that did this. I think though that Orange do need to adjust their system to cater better for the increasing number of more complicated phones coming on the market, ideally by hiring staff just to deal with one particular handset.

If you think Orange Customer Service sucks, give O2 a ring - that will change your mind.

And well done Amo for all your work with Orange, which I'm sure sends the vast majority of your customers away feeling that they've received a good service they could respect from you.

Matt

Thanks Matt, most of us try as hard as we can to meet the expectations of the customers we deal with and like you mentioned it does excel far greater than that of rival networks.

Could I make a suggestion to those who are still not convinced, please go out to a newsagent and purchase a copy of "Mobile News" which is a professional monthly magazine for those in the mobile industry. Every month they Mystery shop or mystery call everysingle network and main dealerships in a specific town and then compare the service received by each. We are consistently the top network (with the exception of this month where we were seventh as the mystery shopper happened to approach a member of staff who was on her second ever shift and was still in training).

Please do so, and then report back.

Thanks

Guest bikespod

ok ok ok, i wasn't slagging off all orange staff. a lot of you are right, orange do offer pretty good backup, hence i'm still with them. and yes the tech support is fine for bog standard nokias etc. in fact it was very good for the 7650 i had before the spv. however as pointed out, it is the orange spv. i was really just trying to say that i think orange should invest more time and training hours in the next big thing, which has to be smart phones. they are surely set to become the do it all device for the new generation of multi task, multi media demands of our incredibly consumer led society. i just think that the developers on this site are forward thinking people with an eye for exploiting a developing area of communications technology and i hope it pays them well in the future for their time invested. i just think orange should be working more closely with people who can help them and their customers with their leading product. my intention was not ot start a slagging match. sorry if i've upset some orange emloyees. you have been very patient with my ineptitude in the past.

Em... I have a job thanks.

You seem very defensive there Amo. I don't think anybody is getting at you personally (unless you happen to be responsible for overseeing the entire Orange support network).

I think the points being made here are valid customer greivances with what is in reality a real issue for smatphones. As I said before, I also rate highly Orange CS - but the tech support service is organised in a way which makes it frustrating for the user.

& like I said before - Orange DO offer the tech support service - so arguing that the company isn't obliged to do so coz it's not your product, is a bit beside the point, isn't it?? The fact that Orange are consistently rated above other networks for service isn't just an excuse to say that the company doesn't need to address issues that people may have.

I don't see any evidence in your posts here Amo of trying to meet the expectations of your customers - & if that really is your attitude, then why the vitriol? You seem to be immediately very defensive & aggressive - & if I was to encounter your attitude here when talking to CS, I wouldn't consider that to be good service.

Know what I mean, eh??

Guest beersoft

Im not one to phone orange untill the have sorted my problem out or anything but...

everyone i have spoken to at orange has been great, helpfull and gave me the illusion that they wanted to talk to me.

i do have to aggree with drblow about the lack of 'technical' technical support, when you phone up with a 'new' problem (new as in its not on the system yet) it get's emailed to TS and they might look at it.

I don't know where they get the idea that 72 hours is a good turnaround for a support issue, if you phoned your isp and said 'help i can't send emails to suchadomain' first they would check your settings, second they would try it for themselves and if that didn't work they would fix it or esclate it and have it fixed pretty damn quick.

my tech support issue i had took 8 days before anyone looked at it (it cost them an upgrade, as a good will gesture and to stop me phoning them every 30 mins), it would have been sorted in 5 minuites if i had spoken to tech support.

before i go too far off tangent the guys and girls on 150 and 156 are great for 90% of the issues we have with our phones. but they need some technical support they can pass the customers to.

later

Owen

"im sorry,i have checked in our system for you 'random problem thats easy to solve', our system doesn't have that problem in its database, its recomending formatting and reinstalling everything"

Guest Maverick

I think the best option for a user with a handset problem is to walk into an Orange store and try to get it resolved there. I had a GPRS problem with an SPV I bought from 'The Link'. I tried calling 156 for about 3 days and they tried all sorts of things and asked me to do all sorts of things. So even tho I hadnt bought the phone from O, I went to the nearest O store and explained what was happening. Presto, got my problem resolved !! There was a hardware problem with the phone and I got my phone replaced by Link the same day !! No waiting business at all !!

Some times, I think its just too difficult to get the message across on the phone.. You cant expect all the problems in life to be resolved over the phone !!

Guest unclelimey

True Story...

i went into an orange shop ages ago to ask about how much data usage messenger on my spv eats up....

the shop assistant's reply was "whats messenger?... you mean texts??? "

i shook my head, turned around and went home....

phone trainer huh?

Guest Maverick
I wonder if technical support would improve if 156 was a premium rate line charged at 50p/minute and terminated in Delhi?

This is off-topic... But are u suggesting that all these people should be sacked??

BTW, I am from India :shock: .

Guest morpheus2702

Not at all - I just wonder that if Orange outsourced most of its customer services to India (just as 3 and many UK companies have done) would there be any noticeable difference or improvemen in support?

just like to add my 2 cents here

This is going to become a growing problem for ALL advanced phones like the Smartphone.

They are basically mini laptops now and as such there are several different suppliers that are involved in their production.

The problem with this is that they are still being sold as phones with extras - which means that people expect them to work flawlessly all the time, just like an ordinary phone.

Now some might argue that this is the level of entry for the customer, and if they aren't prepared to learn a little, then they should buy a different phone - well there's 2 sides to that coin, and I'll stay out of that, it's just too long to discuss here

Lets take an analogy of buying a PC...

Lets say I buy a computer from Dell, it's them I go back to if my system is behaving strangely - not MS or Intel, or AMD or Creative or whoever made the powersupply, but my retailer

Wether this is correct is perhaps an arguable discussion point, but Dell supplied the whole computer, and therefore take responsibility for my support unless otherwise stated

If Orange are selling these phones, then the consumer has a reasonable expectation that they can support them - in ALL areas

If this is not the case then Orange should make this clear to consumers when they purchase the phones

What I suspect happens more often than not is the same as in the PC market - when u end up speaking to tech support, they try some fixes that may fix the problem, and if they dont, they tell you to reset to factory conditions - which either solves everyones problems (you get a working phone and tech support tick you off as fixed) or else the phone is knackered and returned to base

There is no magic bullet on this problem, as each company in the supply chain will always pass the buck to another company - it's not right, but it's reality

BUT

If shop staff dont know the answer, they pass is to CS

If CS dont know the answer, they pass to Tech Support

If Tech Support is then taking multiple days to get back to the customer, there is a problem in the system. Either you need more tech support people, your product is faulty or else you need to expand the capabilities of the CS staff to cover the more common tech support questions

As phones get more complex, any company that fails to successfully support their products will fall by the wayside as customers abandon them - simple market forces

Guest morpheus2702

Vodafone are by far and away the very worst company I have EVER experienced poor service from. When I had my T39, getting GPRS set-up was a complete nightmare - no-one from Vodafone, Singlepoint or CPW could work out who had to do what to get it running.

I swear to this day I will never, ever have any dealings with Vodafone. They make Orange look like a paragon of efficiency.