Exchange Server 2003 Always-Up-To-Date notifications HOWTO

Guest johnsoanes

I got the hotfix - MS are a lot quicker than they used to be at getting hotfixes out - I waited three days last time!!

Anyway, that hotfix has sorted out the from address problem, but still went no further to sorting out the main problem. In the end, I set the device address to a mailbox that I have hosted in another domain on an MDaemon mail server. The mailbox is configured to send an AutoResponder. The AR is configured to change the from address to my email address, and the To address to the SMS service at 24x.com. It's configured to keep the body as is.

As it stands, it does work.

From the moment an email arrives in my mailbox, it takes approximately two minutes for the email to be sent to my MDaemon server, be processed, forwarded to the SMS gateway, and sent out as an SMS message.

At this point, the phone backlight turns on which indicates that the 'secret' sms has arrived. Approximately three minutes later, the phone inititiates a GPRS connection.

Total time approximately 5 to 5 and a half minutes before reaching my mobile. I'm hoping that time can be reduced somehow by getting rid of that 3 minute delat on the phone somehow.

For anyone who is interested, www.24x.com allow you to set up a free account with 10 free credits, its then £68+vat for 1000 credits (cheaper if you buy in bulk). You then need to contact them to enable email to sms, and the great thing is that you can send texts to any mobile so it's great for multiple users. I'm going to email them to see if I can convince them to change their method of dealing with incoming emails so that I don't have to go through all of this MDaemon crap.

Anyhow, reasonable success ^_^

^_^

Woohoo, just received my first automatic 'non test' email to my phone!!!

:D

I'd be interested to see how long my text messages last! Now that I've got this set up, I could sell 'EATD' mailboxes - all I'd need is the users mobile number, and I would give them an email address. Not sure how to go about a charging structure - obviously there would be the cost of the messages on top of the cost of the mailbox.

Would anyone be interested, and how much would people be prepared to pay?

Guest martinlong1978

ahem... shouldn't this thread be on the 'generic' smartphone forum... it's relevant to ALL smartphones, not just the voyager... read the sticky thread before posting

ahem... shouldn't this thread be on the 'generic' smartphone forum... it's relevant to ALL smartphones, not just the voyager... read the sticky thread before posting

ahem... no offence, but i cannae be doing with people who start a post with ahem... i didn't start it anyway, so there ^_^ neither do i have a voyager...

Couldn't agree less. It's relevant to Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphones which is NOT all smartphones.

• 2 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but did anyone get anywhere in seeing if Orange does provide the sms gateway? All set up, no problem; can see the special emails leaving the server but get a bounce back as below. Any ideas?

Tony.

Sent: 20 January 2005 19:12

To: Administrator

Subject: Returned mail: Delivery error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTENTION: Your e-mail was NOT delivered

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its delivery. The address which was undeliverable and the reason is specified below.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to your e-mail administrator.

-- CleanPort Postmaster

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.

The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

While talking to 193.36.79.60:

Recipient:

Reason: 550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but did anyone get anywhere in seeing if Orange does provide the sms gateway?  All set up, no problem; can see the special emails leaving the server but get a bounce back as below.  Any ideas?

Tony.

Sent: 20 January 2005 19:12

To: Administrator

Subject: Returned mail: Delivery error

ATTENTION: Your e-mail was NOT delivered

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its delivery. The address which was undeliverable and the reason is specified below.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to your e-mail administrator.

-- CleanPort Postmaster

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.

The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

While talking to 193.36.79.60:

Recipient:

Reason:    550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: [email protected]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theres loads of info on this topic but none that says (or that i can find) :

- If orange dont allow email to sms notifcations then do x.

Does anyone know what x is ? cause i'm happy to pay for a service if it does what i need ......

You can get an Email-to-SMS service from www.sms2email.co.uk

Depending on how many updates your system produces it can be expensive though.

AFAIK you can specify a "normal" email address - it doesn't have to be [email protected], it can be [email protected]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it could be done using an orange.net email account ?

Were are you saying to specifiy that email address ? on the mobile number field in AD or somewhere else ?

Well as i was bored and feeling ill tonight i decided to test this out on my sbs2003 server.

It works.

Procedure in brief (all things explained in this thread)

Exchange>Global Settings Mobile Services> inserted Orange >

@orange.net

in user account i added my phone number as +4411111111

waited 30 mins (food called)

insert device in cradle.

put in the lower two boxes, service provider: Orange

CHANGED the phone number to the USERNAME of my orange account.

Tadaa worked!

Will

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi all, slightly different question but still about AUTD.

With the help of Paul I managed to get AUTD working. Every time I put my phone in the cradle and I check ActiveSync on my device it always reports HTTP error 407 and it sets ActiveSync into manual mode.

When I have finished I go into ActiveSync on my phone and set it back to when new items arrives and this is fine.

My problem is this, I have managed to get the powers at work to switch to Windows powered SmartPhones and pretty soon we will be rolling out Exchange 2003 etc. Now I don’t really mind having to keep setting my phone when I plug it in, but I cant imagine the bosses liking it.

Surely you must be able to use both OTA sync and cable sync together, I cant imagine Microsoft releasing these devices with AUTD and lock you to OTA sync only.

So my question is do any of you guys have the same problem :?: is this just how it is :?: or have I got something wrong :?:

Thanks guys.

Guest tendomentis

Does anybody happen to know what the actual body of the "hidden" sms message says? I know I have to set GUID as the subject, but I'm unsure of what has to be in the body of the message.

My company doesn't have the Always Up To Date feature enabled on their servers, and it doesn't seem like they are going to enable it anytime soon, so I want to set up a rule in my corporate Outlook 2003 to automatically send the "ActiveSync Trigger" email to my mobile email address ([email protected]) whenever I get new mail. Since my Outlook is always logged on, it would pretty much be the same thing as setting up Always Up To Date on the server itself......right?

Anyway, if anyone can get the settings, it's certainly worth a try. I would guess you could get the settings by setting your "device address" number to a regular email and letting it deliver the message directly to you....I would try that myself if I had access to a server that did Always Up To Date.

Guest badlad

subject: c354cda14cae1b43b93b7e5ed8f38253-187d

//SCKL040A AwFqAAADxgADBQHDEI4hsgRsVgOmAEBz4S8VxQEB

Thats the msg my server generates.

Dr_StrangeTrick is the address you enter for the OTA sync (IP or dns) contactable via the network your PC is plugged into when using activesync ?

• 1 month later...
Guest danmansfield

I called Orange and they told me that they didn't support smtp to sms and wouldn't allow the autd to work.

So anyway, I went into Exchange Server and added a new provider with the domain @orange.net

Then I went into AD and added my +44797xxxxxxx phone number

Then I used activesync via IR

to put same [email protected] in device notification

set schedule to 'when new items arrives'

then I disconnected active sync and sent a test email.

few minutes later email turns up on phone :D

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but this is the thread I found when trying to solve a problem I had with the SMS's not triggering the phone. It turned out there was a disclaimer rule on exchange (added a disclaimer to all outboand messages) that was pushing the messages over the 160 charactor limit... Hopefully that can help someone in the future...

• 3 months later...
Guest michaelk1_uk

Hello ,Please can some one help.

I have exchange 2003 oma working and I can access it remotly via the internet.I have a spv c600 phone that will sync with activesync 4.1 but I donot have the option DEVICE ADDRESS.It is not even greyed out it is just not there!!!!!!!

Has anyone else had this problem or have any tips.

Your help would be great.

Michael