How to fix the homescreen bug on MPx200 with Jmms installed

Guest xenose

As you might have noticed custom skins get garbled on the Mpx200 when the default MMS client Jmms is installed, if uninstalling Jmms it works again.

What happens is that Jmms replaces the standard msg-conter plugin with their own, by removing theirs and putting back the original it works again, and it won't affect the functionality of the mms client in any way.

:idea:

I don't know if this is typical to Orange branded phones but here is the fix:

1. Make sure Jmms is installed on your phone first and reboot the phone.

2. Using your farourite registry editor (Resco works fine on orange locked phones) navigate to /HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID/{2F930BF0-4A53-9E17-88E9247BAB48}

3. Reset this key to default.

4. Under this key is an entry InprocServer32, set this value to "tpcutil.dll" without quotes.

5. Reboot phone, and voila, it's working, you can now install any homescreen you like, just remember that when/if you reinstall Jmms you need to repeat the procedure.

Yes the installation overwrites the id on the phone, not in the xml file.

The homescreen calls this entry when getting the msg counts, Jmms replaces the underlaying dll with their own, and the problem with that is that it is not costumisable, i.e it can only show data in the format:

Email (0) Sms (0) Mms (0)

Any paramteres passed makes no difference.

Jmms comes preinstalled as the default Mms client on orange branded Mpx200's at least, i don't know about any other brandings. It also comes on the companion cd so that it can be reinstalled after a master reset as it is not present in rom.

I don't know why they choose this stupid aproach to integrate their software with the counters, the mms client on the E100 does no use this approach so it is clear that there are better ways.

At least it can be fixed, the only con is that after the fix is in the Mms field in skins that use it will be blank, instead mms messages gets counted as e-mail.

Xeno

Guest statscat

hmm I wonder if this is an oversite by Jmms surely there plugin wouldn't have that classid (there would be a conflict ??)

I don't think this is an orange thing as such but a how jmms write plugins that sucks (orange tend to do nice plugins in fairness)

good spot though

Thanx.

I do agree that Orange does good plugins normally....

What really happens by the Jmms installer is that the InprocServer32 entry which normally holds "tpcutil.dll" gets replaced with "jplug.dll".

Just a stupid way to integrate the app, seems to be common, makes you wonder if developers even bother to take a look at interfacing thru the standard API's.

Guest statscat

its a defo a jmms thing :cry:

orange tend to call them things like orangeh

and they don't tend to do daft things like clobber clsids

That appraoch sucks though big time and I think that Jmms authors should have done a much better job with the integration than they have, thats pretty bad.

and worse that it screws the homescreen after all the shortcut plugins rock (every other operator copied them so they must got those right)

Guest inspectorgadjet

Just got an MPx200 too.

I have done this fix, but it's bugging me a bit...I don't like the fact that I can't use the MMS counter at all. Surely there is a way to take the number of MMS reported by the Jmms plugin and write it to the right place for the normal MMS plugin. The skins use a setting called so there must be a way to have the Jmms plugin set this.Hmmm...I'm going to tinker a bit with the sdk and see what I can come up with.

xenose....

thanks for the fix.

Had been getting really miffed having just recieved my moto mx200 this afternoon, and not seeing the skins appear correctly was begining to make the frown lines stick

nice 1

Guest mugenakuma

Hey all and xenose,

The smartXP and Technika themes are my favorites and they just dont look right since flashing my mpx200 to the new generic build.

I tried for quite a while to use the PHM reg editor but was unable to figure out how to reset the values to default or change the values. The PHM reg editor is not the easiest to use.

I attempted to download the resco file explorer (from rescos page), which I thought had a reg editor but it doesnt.

Anyway I basically am looking for a different reg editor and a detailed explanation on how to use the program to edit my registry.

I would really appreciate any help or info since the basic themes are really dull :lol:

Guest mugenakuma

The mpx200 generic flash file can be found at

This file is straight from motorola and adds a bunch of features the standard at&t us phone didnt come with, like MMS support, picture viewer, a third band, etc.

Keep in mind that according to a ATTWS tech, "any changes made to the phone will void your warranty."

I suppose you could be anal and say that adding your own custom wallpaper to the phone constitutes changing it, but if I may be allowed to read into it, I think this was meant as any ROM installed on the phone not sanctioned by ATTWS will void the warranty. :lol:

And I got this responce when asking about the possibility of a WM 2003 OS upgrade.

"Since the phone is only one month old, there are no plans to upgrade it." :D

Hmmm... I wonder what Moto would say about using the Generic ROM. :?

Guest mugenakuma

well I dumped at&t after I looked at their ridiculous pricing for data service!

Now I am with tmobile and I love it, especially their 19.99 unlimited data plan. With my new rom flashed phone I can also send and receive MMS messages, something that at&t's branded phone cant do.

Anyway I am not worried about my warranty with at&t. If I had any problems with my phone I would probably just call up motorola.

Guest benjytrainer

Hey guys,

I was also trying to do this with PHM editor, but the instructions given are not that easy to follow - plus is there a typo that says "make sure jMMS is installed" that should read UNINSTALLED ?

If so, can you still receive MMS afterwards ?

If you could clear up the modification procedure steps using PHM editor that would be great !

thanks

benj

Guest Harley69

Hi,

I have just applied this registry fix as described to my wife's MPX200 on the UK Orange network.

The skins now look great and are working as they are supposed to, however It now has no MMS sending capabilities at all!!! :lol: :D

When I go to the inbox, and select new, it just goes staight to new SMS, with no other options. :?

Any ideas on this problem.

It was using the jMMS as I did check before applying the fix.

Guest mugenakuma

Hey Harley69, that really sucks dude. :lol: I wish I could help out.

I have been trying, along with other forum members, to get someone, maybe the original poster, to help input a clearer method on altering the registry.

I have a feeling that better instructions on modifying the registry could have helped you avoid your problem.

I am sure someone on this forum will be able to help you with your issue.

Good luck,

Glenn

Hi all,

I am very sorry I haven't monitored the thread, as I had a really bad flu for over a week...

But I am back here now, so I will compile a better instruction for you all....

Yet again sorry, I will post another post later tonight.....

Cheers,

Xeno

Guest mugenakuma

Hey Xeno,

Sorry to hear you are sick with the flu.

Hope you get better soon. :lol:

Of course any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

get well soon,

Glenn

I think i've found a slightly different method to do this, and it doesn't involve deleting any dll files, or killing anything:

Use regedit to change:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID/2F930BF0-6FE9-4a53-9E17-88E9247BAB48/InprocServer32/ to tpcutil.dll instead of jMMSPlug.dll

Can send/receive MMS, and all the skins look as they should!

Proper Bo!

Guest mugenakuma

Well I tried this on my motorola Mpx200 and it did get rid of my mms count screen but it also got rid of my email and SMS count screen.

I tried installing the smartxp and technika skins/themes and they still dont look right, especially the technika skin.

Maybe this registry modification only works on phones other than the mpx200.

Has anyone done this mod on a mpx200?

Also I just noticed that I don't even have the file "tpcutil.dll" on my phone in the IPSMWindows, folder. I assume I need this file for this registry mod to work, correct? Any way someone on this forum could email it to me at [email protected]?

Guest mugenakuma

I wish that my problem was a simple typing error but I did rename the dll file correctly.

Like I said, was anyone with an mpx200 able to make this reg mod work?

I've got an mpx and my method above works fine, i never renamed any dll file at all, just removed the startup shortcuts and changed the reg entry... you've def. done something wrong somewhere...