i600 Registry PATCH Released! lets you install all apps!

Guest The PocketTV Team

Hello All,

Just figured I would drop in these two links, One is for samsung, the other for Verizon Wireless. If we all bombard them with emails requesting information about the patch, I would assume in should help move it along.

http://www.samsungtelecom.com/contact_us/c...contact_us2.asp

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/contact/index.jsp

Thanks,

Ben

Hello All,

Just figured I would drop in these two links, One is for samsung, the other for Verizon Wireless.  If we all bombard them with emails requesting information about the patch, I would assume in should help move it along.  

http://www.samsungtelecom.com/contact_us/c...contact_us2.asp

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/contact/index.jsp

Thanks,

Ben

I just sent an e-mail to both. This is a good idea. thanks.

Guest The PocketTV Team
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!  That will make a wait for SP2003 a LOT easier :-)

Well, the patch is still not there, but hopefully it will appear... all we got is un-official information from our MSFT contact. Wait and see...

We have been informed that the following should be up on the Samsung web site this week:

HKCR fix (i.e. Registry patch discussed in this thread)

caller ID fix

The SCH-i600 Support page can be accessed from this page:

http://www.samsungtelecom.com/contact_us/contact_us.asp

So will this fix two problems?

1. now we can install apps'

2. Caller Id issue using the SW that comes with the phone.

Guest awesterink

2) If not, it's not really a fix. So let's hope so!

1) Yes, like SmartExplorer and Orneta Notepad. Any app that would not install but could be installed manually (and create the necessary registry entries manually). These should now install without failing. But we still won't be able to install e.g. SmartphoneNotes, as that app needs to run in privileged mode and needs a certificate to install.

Guest awesterink
Hello All,

Just figured I would drop in these two links, One is for samsung, the other for Verizon Wireless.  If we all bombard them with emails requesting information about the patch, I would assume in should help move it along.  

Here's the reply I got to the email I sent to Samsung. They're working on something...sounds like the SP2003 update ( I asked about the patches AND the OS update)...no word on VZW in that loop...vague on the timeframe.

Thank You for your inquiry regarding the upgrade of your OS. Samsung and Microsoft are currently in the process of working together on the upgrade process for the device. The upgrade will be available in the near future. More than likely, this will be in early 2004. Please check back periodically for updates. You can contact our help desk at any time at 1-888-987-4357. Simply press 1, 1, 2, when the IVR starts to get to a tech support representative. On behalf of Samsung, thank you for your email.

Guest msmoblies

Here is that i600 Registry patch you were waiting for!

- This patch is ONLY for Verizon i600 with Smartphone 2002.

- Use this patch at your own risks!

- Make a backup of all important things before installing the patch, just in case. The patch does not hard-reset the phone, but better safe than sorry.

- This MoDaCo post and its content are not officially approved by Verizon, Samsung or Microsoft.

- The author of this post has no relation whatsoever with msmobiles.com , Verizon, Samsung or Microsoft.

To install it:

Using the Explore tab of ActiveSync, copy the file HKCRfix.cpf in the folder IPSMWindowsStart MenuAccessories on your i600.

Then, on the i600, go in Home > Programs > Accessories and select HKCRfix.cpf, it will install the patch on your i600 and send you a message to confirm the configuration change.

Once the patch is installed, you will be able to install all non-signed Smartphones apps, except those that use the privileged API, which still require a privileged certificate (e.g. Smartphone Notes).

HKCRfix.zip

Guest RichChrisB

Anybody try this yet? I am not saying somebody would intentionally sabotage your phone but it's not approved by anybody. Post if you get this up and working, I'd like to use it myself. Thanks msmoblies.

Guest RichChrisB

Possible msmobiles changing his name so that he can't be blamed if this just wipes out your phone, makes everything start smoking and then explodes in your hand. Just a guess, but 2 people have downloaded it so does it work?

Guest nickcornaglia

I was one of those people and do not have an i600 anymore. I just wanted to check the contents of the zip.

BTW....the poster has a US IP address, so it's not msmobiles.com :wink:

Guest The PocketTV Team
Possible msmobiles changing his name so that he can't be blamed if this just wipes out your phone, makes everything start smoking and then explodes in your hand.  Just a guess, but 2 people have downloaded it so does it work?

Yes, it DOES work, I just checked, this is the EXACT SAME PATCH we tested last month, and this patch does fix the i600 registry bug.

Thanks msmoblies!!! whoever you are!

ptvt can you elaborate on what this fixes. (and you did find some problems if i remember correctly?)..

Sorry if i've grabbed wrong end of stick.. it's hard to understand and help with a phone you've never touched!

Will

Guest The PocketTV Team
ptvt can you elaborate on what this fixes. (and you did find some problems if i remember correctly?)..  

Sorry if i've grabbed wrong end of stick.. it's hard to understand and help with a phone you've never touched!

You should read this thread in its entirety, it explains what this patch fixes.

Basically there is a bug in the security configuration of the i600, causing some areas of the Registry to be incorrectly protected.

This prevents some applications from installing on the i600, especially freewares and games (i.e. applications that are not signed with a Smartphone certificate). This patch fixes the problem.

Once this patch is installed, you should be able to install most freewares and games on your i600. Applications that use privileged Smartphone API's will still require a privileged certificate.

There is no known risks or problems with using this patch. It's the exact same patch we tested last month.

Guest awesterink

Well that's great! :lol:

But what about the remark earlier in this thread (see quote below), that suggested that we'd be getting a bug fix for both the Registry issue AND the Caller ID issue? Will these be two separate fixes then? Is that Caller ID fix still to be expected? Curious....

We have been informed that the following should be up on the Samsung web site this week:  

HKCR fix (i.e. Registry patch discussed in this thread)  

caller ID fix  

Guest The PocketTV Team

This patch only corrects the Registry issue, which prevents many games and freeware from installing on the i600.

I have no information regarding the status of the caller ID fix (i.e. supposed to fix the problem of CallerID not displaying the caller's number or name when an incoming call arrives).

You should read this thread in its entirety, it explains what this patch fixes.  

Oops, I got confused! (thought this was the only page in this thread!) :oops:

Thanks for bearing with me!

Will

Guest awesterink

I have seen a few people post that this seems to work well for them, yet I am hesitant to install it. What is UP with this rather strange way of distributing this patch? Leaked perhaps?