Orange prep SPV C700 and SPV M3100 for release

Guest Scoopz

Guest Scoopz

Hot news for everyone holding off on an Orange upgrade until the next generation of devices come out!

Orange are prepping the SPV C700 (aka HTC Breeze) and SPV M3100 (aka HTC Hermes) for release across Orange territories, with the C700 scheduled to touch down in July, with the M3100 following in August.

Both devices are to be officially announced soon, and Orange are on target to ship the devices in almost exactly the same timeframe as T-Mobile... who's offerings will arrive first? :)

Interestingly, the specifications of the HTC Hermes are slightly tweaked for full release, with the addition of Start / OK hardware buttons, a MiniSD instead of a Transflash slot, and a Samsung processor boosted from 300MHz to 400MHz.

Finally, note the Breeze does NOT feature WiFi, a step back from Tornado... I wonder why?

More about the HTC Breeze: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=239777

More about the HTC Hermes: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=238775

Guest w411y

Source? What makes you so confident?

Im not doubting your knowledge, I think its the fact that I just dont want to believe what your saying. Contract ends in July.. for the past 6 months odd Ive been awaiting news of any sort of sign of Orange releasing a good looking smartphone with 2mp and stuff like macro mode on the camera and WiFi. Oh and my god its ugly :) Unless Orange give it a housing of their own? I didn't think upgrading from a C550 to a C600 was worth it and sadly it now looks like upgrading from C550 to a C700 is not going to be much worth it neither.

Might resort to another Pocket PC :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

I agree, the Breeze is ugly, and not as much of a step forward technologically as I would like to see.

New Symbian OS handsets leave it for dust feature wise :)

P

Guest Dr Who

Hermes would be my next HTC upgrade as it stands, although as Paul says Symbian is killing HTC on phone handsets features. Anyone found out whether Orange retentions will match unlimited data on TMob???

Guest Dr Who
They WON'T.

:)

P

That is the most abjectedly ridiculous thing I have heard from Orange. They offer 3 months unlimited access when you sign up to a 3G phone for free and provide 1Gb of data for

Guest Tech

doesnt make any sense to me

C600 was only just released - and whats more frustrating at the time (aug 2005) was that they said "oh itll be next month" until the C600 was released - got released in Jan this year....big delay

and now C700? makes no sense to me.

Guest Pondrew

Makes sense to me. A newer model (and with 3G no less!)...

It's no different from the E100 following the SPV or the E200 following the E100.

Surprised that so few people are interested in this, the first 3G Smartphone.

Oh, and by the way, I seem to remember A LOT of dismissive comments about a forthcoming Smartphone from HTC a couple of years ago called the SPV C500/HTC Typhoon. Apparently it was too ugly and no one would buy it... :)

Guest Tech

nothing will beat the C500 imho - love the device and have 2 of them ;)

3G on orange? u realize how much they will be charging? lol

wifi in it? no again?

well anyway I wouldnt go for orange - not after my experience as you all know :)

it just amazed me on how quick they are to release the next SPV as for them it took them AGES to release the C600 - by the time I was fedup and got an Imate SP5m - now im happy :)

Edited by Tech

Guest sporkguy
Makes sense to me. A newer model (and with 3G no less!)...

It's no different from the E100 following the SPV or the E200 following the E100.

Surprised that so few people are interested in this, the first 3G Smartphone.

Nokia have had a smartphone with 3G for 2 years mate - the 6630 :)

Guest Pagemakers
Finally, note the Breeze does NOT feature WiFi, a step back from Tornado... I wonder why?

............But the Breeze does not have wifi anyway? It's not just an Orange thing.

Guest bongo_king
I think the comment "I wonder why?" confused me.

I presumed Scoopz works for orange - don't want to get all conspiracy theory on y'all but as the primary network for smartphone users (I guess) in the UK they can afford to drag their feet on anything that will stop us milking us poor saps for GPRS charges as much as possible....hence no 'flat rate', no Wi-Fi etc

In the long run they'll just end up loosing most of their customer base, as people get fed up & jump ship (right Paul?) - but did anyone ever hear of a company enlightened enough to forgo short term gains for a long term vision which benefits their customers too...

Anyway I though 'I wonder why?' was an allusion to this policy of theirs

Guest Gublerian

I just received a mail from switzerlands's orange customer service. I asked them about the hermes, and they answered me it will be available in august under the name SPV M3100 (I didn't know that before :)) So it seems Scoopz was right :)

Guest Pondrew
Correct.

Tornado (the reference platform) did have it, Breeze doesn't, hence yes, it's a step back?

P

A step back for HTC Smartphones but there isn't an Orange Smartphone with Wifi. Therefore no functionality's been lost from the C600...

Guest morpheus2702

Is it me or does the focus of Windows Mobile seem to be much more Pocket PC rather than Smartphone orientated now? Maybe the onslaught of the N-series has left HTC saying screw non-touchscreens, let Nokia have them?

And talk about bad timing for the C700. Right after the World Cup when your biggest selling point is mobile TV. :-/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.