Strip your E200 bare!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

Well after much searching for a dummy E200 case i finally got one from a very nice man in a third part orange shop. He let me have the display model providing i give him a fiver deposit and my old cracked 'n' scratched case once i've finished ;)

Most sane people would never dare to take apart their beloved E200's but just in case you have a screw loose...here's a quick guide :lol:

What you need

A small flat head electrical screwdriver

A normal flat dinner knife

An antistatic cloth

The method

First remove the battery, sd card and sim card holder. Then on sd sd side of the phone and with your phone held screen down, very carefully insert the electrical screwdriver between the front and back part of the case til it will go no more. Next and this may cause slight damage (but its hardly visible), push up til a nice gap develops big enough to put the dinner knife in. Then carefully go round the phone popping open the clips that hold the case together. Once the back of the case iis off, in the top right of the mainboard there is a tiny philips screw which needs to be unscrewed before the mainboard can be removed. Thats it! :P Do what you have to then give the screen and insde of the case a quick wipe with the cloth to remove dust and pop the case back together.

WARNING: DO NOT FORGET PUT THE MAINBOARD SCREW BACK AND IF YOU ARE CHANGING CASES...REMEMBER TO MOVE THE VIBRATOR, MICROPHONE, SPEAKER AND FOAM STRIP WHICH GOES ROUND THE SCREEN TO THE NEW CASE!!

Oh yeh and your imei sticker :D

Job done...enjoy ur brand spanking new case. I've attached a few pics taken of the old case. Didn't take any during the process coz my E200 is my only camera :D

Laters,

Alex

back - front.jpg

clips.gif

back - back.jpg

Guest squall

dust on the e200?!

i should have posted a guide to the stripping of e100 and fitting of e200 case :S

Its not that straight forward, have to soilder phone etc, if anyone is interested pm me.

and peekie we know you only read this thread because you saw the word bare

Guest nedge2k

The dust gets in from the speaker, joystick hole and from round the screen.

The best way i've found to stop dust getting in the phone is to put a thin strip of bluetac round the screen inside the case...this seals it off to dust :D

Guest gram333

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! JUST MANAGED TO FIX MY e200. DAM GIRLFRIEND PUSHED THE POWER BUTTON WRONG/FUNNY/I DUNNO but it got jammed in and i got it apart and put it back to normal!!! :D!!!!! wish i found this last month tho!!

Guest gram333

got it this time....took it apart more and the little button had cracked down the middle, would take a picture and show but my phone is in pieces!!! :D

Guest jmcglynn

Did you notice where the MIC is ? Reason ebing, when I hold my phone a certain angles people complain they can't hear me at all. One chap thuoght I had hung up. I may be putting my hand over the MIC hole, but can't find a MIC hole ! Is it the tiny hole next to the power/sync socket on the bottom of the phone?

Was thinking of drilling 2 or 3 tiny holes with my dremmel at the position of the MIC to help the situation !! Any thoughts ?

Guest squall

I will take a picture tomorrow, the vibrator and the mic are next to each other in the area below the bottom line of keys.

Guest nedge2k
Is it the tiny hole next to the power/sync socket on the bottom of the phone?

Yep thats the one :lol:

Inside the phone the mic is bascally a small cylinder encased in rubber and the vibrator is opposite.

If you take the batt of the e200 and look to the left at the bottom you see a few gaps and a silver disc...thats the vibrator. The mic is is pretty much in the same place on the opposite side :)

P.s. I wouldnt bother drilling the holes...it will make no difference. The mic unit has a hole the same size (if not smaller) as the hole in the case.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest craig4wd

Legend!! My SD card reader had stopped altogether. Gave it all a good clean out and poked around with the SD contacts and now it all works again!!

Many thanks!

thanks for your guide on how to take that thing apart. just bought a used e200 with a bad joystick and wanted to clean the contacts (unfortunately the joystick is soldered to the board, so there really is nothing to clean..)

anyway... i wanted to add an idea on how to open the case with out visible damage: instead of pushing the scredriver in between of the two sides from the outside, i opened it from the inside of the sim-card slot. just be careful not to harm the mainboard :lol: and push the scredriver from the sim-card holder towards the outside of the phone (there is only a thin wall) and carfulley crack it open. really worked fine for me.

oh and guess where i'm from (that's a swiss army knife :()

post-112400-1109016113_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wyl3s

is it possible to sort out camera problems by opening the e200?

cus im having prolems.

Also any idea what this message means:

alert "Unable to switch to preview mode. Failed to set up the camera device"

Wyl3s.

Guest udo Bachmann
is it possible to sort out camera problems by opening the e200?

cus im having prolems.

Also any idea what this message means:

alert "Unable to switch to preview mode. Failed to set up the camera device"

Wyl3s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same problem!

Sometimes, seems predominantly in dark ambiences, the video recording leads to this error, in German it says (bla bla Vorschaugerät konnte nicht eingerichtet werden), in both 176 and 344 video pixel modes...after few seconds of good recording....

Strange, is it only with the latest ROM Orange 2.7.5.1 that i got, or do others also know this message?

Udo

Edited by udo Bachmann

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laser_iCE

Some people have asked for pictures regarding this, and I had to do it about 10 minutes ago myself ... Only to find out that the joystick is soldered on (nothing holds me back though...) So... I took some pictures as I was doing, sorry about the lack of light, it's about 1 AM and I'm at my computer/work desk, I'll get some lit up pictures tomorrow during the day...

I actually took it apart and then realised "Hey, I can take pictures for them", even though they requested them nearly a year ago :D So, here they are; (links only, images are too large)

All the parts seperated

Close up #1 of 6

Close up #2 of 6

Close up #3 of 6

Close up #4 of 6

Close up #5 of 6

Close up #6 of 6

Random parts

This is where the lack of light really plays a key role in screwing up the pictures :D I did a step-by-step pictorama of taking it apart, I'll explain so it helps to understand...

Grab a flat headed screwdriver and dig it under the back casing, just to the right of the sim card slot. If the case bends a little while you're wiggling it around, don't worry about it! It'll be fine.

Once you've got the screwdriver under the back casing, start to tilt it up, pushing the handle of the screw driver in your hand up to create leverage, this should create a gap between the back casing and the side panel (where your volume, camera etc. buttons are)

Once this gap has been created (you might need to keep the screwdriver in there, it was difficult to hold camera, knife, and screwdriver all at once :D), stick something firm but thin into it. I chose a knife as it was handy :D

This picture scares me a little :( Now, once you've got the knife (or whatever your object of choice is) in the gap, slowly make your way around, splitting the two cases apart from each other. If you hear a little "pop" or "click", you haven't broken anything, that's just the clips!

You should now end up with something like this

I thought that there wouldn't be anything else, so I decided just to try and rip the phone away from the front casing ... NO! There is actually a tiny little phillips head screw up in the top left hand corner!

Once that's been taken out, it's fairly straight forward after that. As it's been said earlier, remember to put the screw back in and anything else that may have fallen out!

Enjoy!

Edited by Laser_iCE