Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest spinecraft

good catch, larry.

is there a formal way i am to join the beta test?

i clock in a good 5 hours of phone gaming every weekday due to lecture hall attendance requirements. were i able to play for more than four minutes at a time, i'd supply lengthy feedback regularly.

you can also email new builds straight to my blackjack for a full report. ;)

in case you didn't catch this on your blog:

http://bitbank.wordpress.com/2007/03/03/sm...s-out/#comments

keep up the good work!!

Guest mikeeey
good catch, larry.

is there a formal way i am to join the beta test?

i clock in a good 5 hours of phone gaming every weekday due to lecture hall attendance requirements. were i able to play for more than four minutes at a time, i'd supply lengthy feedback regularly.

you can also email new builds straight to my blackjack for a full report. ;)

in case you didn't catch this on your blog:

http://bitbank.wordpress.com/2007/03/03/sm...s-out/#comments

keep up the good work!!

i didnt know about bitbanks blog, so i left a comment there. i suppose i can ask here too, when will the next version be out? you say your working on the geneis code now?

also will anymore video sizes be added?

Guest cyberzikiko

Hello,

I'd like play more 4 min ;) so this my experience :

I have a SPV M600 (HTC Prophet) and Smartgear seem work correctly.

Some GB game works correctly but i test Tetris and i have a sound problem (lag same with overclock or other audio rate) whereas other game (like super mario) work correctly.

Worms Armageddon doesn't work (it's only i found)

Add:: I found another bug when you try to rotate screen fit to screen or zoom doesn't work when you turn at 90 and when you turn at 270 only zoom work

Thank you...

CyberZ

ps: i really like a keycode :D

Edited by cyberzikiko

Guest bitbank

Just a quick status update. I've been distracted with a full schedule of real work recently.

I'm making some significant improvements to the 68k and Genesis emulator. My 68k emulator is currently significantly faster than Cyclone68k and this is allowing the Genesis code to run quickly, but the last impediment to finishing is the YM2610 (FM sound) emulator. The only measure of speed I can provide at the moment is that many games run at full speed (frameskip 1) with sound (minus FM sounds) on my T-Mobile SDA (195Mhz OMAP). The ultimate goal is to have Genesis run at full speed with full sound on a 195Mhz device.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
Just a quick status update. I've been distracted with a full schedule of real work recently.

I'm making some significant improvements to the 68k and Genesis emulator. My 68k emulator is currently significantly faster than Cyclone68k and this is allowing the Genesis code to run quickly, but the last impediment to finishing is the YM2610 (FM sound) emulator. The only measure of speed I can provide at the moment is that many games run at full speed (frameskip 1) with sound (minus FM sounds) on my T-Mobile SDA (195Mhz OMAP). The ultimate goal is to have Genesis run at full speed with full sound on a 195Mhz device.

L.B.

sounds good! only problem on qvga screens and genesis is that if u have it fit to the window, it's too small. if u have it 75%, its too small. if u have it 100 or 150% it's too big. that's why i keep requesting another display option. a sqaure ratio size that fits the screen.

btw, what's a 68k emulator?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitbank

I'm still working on improving things. The latest fix is discovering that GAPI is what messes up the BlackJack display (and other devices as well). I had previously tried using GAPI to get the display address and then used the RAWFRAMEBUFFER method if GAPI failed, but that call to GXOpenDisplay() is what messes things up on several new devices. On the BlackJack it would create a "second" taskbar and not allow you to get rid of it until you power cycled the device. Genesis is coming along well, but there is still much to be done with the FM. I'll try to release a new build this week with the latest fixes and you'll start to see how the Genesis code is coming.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
I'm still working on improving things. The latest fix is discovering that GAPI is what messes up the BlackJack display (and other devices as well). I had previously tried using GAPI to get the display address and then used the RAWFRAMEBUFFER method if GAPI failed, but that call to GXOpenDisplay() is what messes things up on several new devices. On the BlackJack it would create a "second" taskbar and not allow you to get rid of it until you power cycled the device. Genesis is coming along well, but there is still much to be done with the FM. I'll try to release a new build this week with the latest fixes and you'll start to see how the Genesis code is coming.

L.B.

i like the sound of that! il be sure to try it when it comes out. will it still have the 4 minute trial thing or will it be the newer one u were talking about when that will be gone?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest upurii

Hi.

I have a little suggestion about Smartgear and GameBoy emulation. It will be interesting to make save files idetivall with VirtualBoy Advance, I ask for it for two reasons. First we will be able to play on the phone and on Windows with the same saves. And secondly, for the pokemon users, with a pluggin for Nintendo64 emulators, it's possible to use the .sav for the Gameboy pokemon to use them with Pokemon Stadium 1&2.

PS: sorry for my english it's not my natural language. ^^

Guest jimk16
it's ok but there are other emulators out there for free so i don't think you wil actualy sell large numbers of it, the market for smartphone's is small but the market for smartphone emulators is even smaller.

found a small bug: it somehow turns the button click sound on when i quit.

(mpx200)

in this state it's pretty unusable, i can't buy it if i would so it quit's after 2 min's, kinda pisses me off in strange way ;) :wink:

so i've been useing your program si like the fact it's multi emu capable saves me from downloading other programs, but i have found a few glitches and i have read that u would give fre registration to those who can offer good test issues with the programs i have 3-4 i think are pretty big and i have a feature request one that everyother emu has and i love it.... so e-mail me at [email protected] or aim me at jimk16 to talk to me about this program and trow me one of them registration cause the 4 minute limit it stinks and i have no money to pay or way to pay you even if i did have the money

thanks again e-mail [email protected] (this is right to my cell witch i always have with me) and aim is jimk16 im me or e-mail me thanks

Guest jimk16

hey i have a few bugs and im sick of the 4 minute play either e-mail me at [email protected] or im me on aim with the screen name jimk16....... i have 3-4 bugs i have 2 feature requests i think will greatly improve playability thanks hope to hear from you

Guest bitbank
hey bitbank hows smartgear comming along so far?

I'm glad you asked...

I've been busy with other projects, but SmartGear is still moving forward nicely. I've totally rewritten my 68K, 6502 and Z80 emulators as well as many of the core graphics routines. The new code is amazingly fast. On my old MPX200 (the slowest SmartPhone ever released), my new GameGear code can run at over 120fps with 44Khz stereo sound enabled and no frameskip. With a frameskip of one, it would be possible to run my GameGear code at full speed with sound on an ARM device running at less than 33Mhz. Genesis is running quite fast, except for the YM2610; I'll be working on that soon. If you want to see how it looks before it's finished, I could be convinced to release the current code once I fix a few more bugs.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
I'm glad you asked...

I've been busy with other projects, but SmartGear is still moving forward nicely. I've totally rewritten my 68K, 6502 and Z80 emulators as well as many of the core graphics routines. The new code is amazingly fast. On my old MPX200 (the slowest SmartPhone ever released), my new GameGear code can run at over 120fps with 44Khz stereo sound enabled and no frameskip. With a frameskip of one, it would be possible to run my GameGear code at full speed with sound on an ARM device running at less than 33Mhz. Genesis is running quite fast, except for the YM2610; I'll be working on that soon. If you want to see how it looks before it's finished, I could be convinced to release the current code once I fix a few more bugs.

L.B.

yes that sounds great to see the current progress! it sounds like its really comming along nicely!

wow just 1 frame skip at 33mhz? thats unbeliebable. and is this with gameboy or nes?

ive noticed that the game "Sonic 3d blast" actually uses a .bin file, therefore genesis emulators cant play it. idk how many other games use .bin files but just letting you know this.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest bitbank
yes that sounds great to see the current progress! it sounds like its really comming along nicely!

wow just 1 frame skip at 33mhz? thats unbeliebable. and is this with gameboy or nes?

ive noticed that the game "Sonic 3d blast" actually uses a .bin file, therefore genesis emulators cant play it. idk how many other games use .bin files but just letting you know this.

I'm not sure why you think Sonic 3D Blast doesn't work. It works fine in SmartGear for me. The file extension doesn't matter.

BTW - the reason I'm optimizing the code further is that my ultimate goal is to get every emulator running at fullscreen and full framerate (no frameskip) with 44Khz sound on the slowest devices. Genesis is probably not possible to do that, but GameGear, GBC, NES and TG16 should be doable. So far, GG/SMS is running at full speed with no frameskip on the slowest device; I need to do some more coding and testing to get the other ones to that level of speed. Part of the limitation of the Genesis is the quantity of pixels which must be rendered. The Genesis has 2 tile layers and a sprite layer (with priorities). To render a 320x224 image 60 times per second with 10% sprite cover, that would be over 9 million pixels per second. That doesn't include emulation of the 7.1Mhz 68k, 4Mhz Z80, SN76496 and YM2610. On a 195Mhz OMAP it's not possible to do without cutting a few corners (lower audio rate, frame skipping, smart tile drawing).

Edited by bitbank

Guest mikeeey
I'm not sure why you think Sonic 3D Blast doesn't work. It works fine in SmartGear for me. The file extension doesn't matter.

BTW - the reason I'm optimizing the code further is that my ultimate goal is to get every emulator running at fullscreen and full framerate (no frameskip) with 44Khz sound on the slowest devices. Genesis is probably not possible to do that, but GameGear, GBC, NES and TG16 should be doable. So far, GG/SMS is running at full speed with no frameskip on the slowest device; I need to do some more coding and testing to get the other ones to that level of speed. Part of the limitation of the Genesis is the quantity of pixels which must be rendered. The Genesis has 2 tile layers and a graphics layer (with priorities). To render a 320x224 image 60 times per second with 10% sprite cover, that would be over 9 million pixels per second. That doesn't include emulation of the 7.1Mhz 68k, 4Mhz Z80, SN76496 and YM2610. On a 195Mhz OMAP it's not possible to do without cutting a few corners (lower audio rate, frame skipping, smart tile drawing).

o ok ur right i just had a corrupted bin file. it works now.

so are u saying it is not possible to re-size the genesis screen?

on masteralls emulator, picodrive, it displays a square aspec ratio and has everything on the screen, it looks really good too. whats the difference on how he resized his and the way your talkin about? im just asking cuz right now the screen is pretty small and words arent readable, as on picodrive the screen is big enough words can be read.

also when u say every emulator running at full screen, are u talking about even QVGA devices when it stretches vertical?

Guest bitbank
o ok ur right i just had a corrupted bin file. it works now.

so are u saying it is not possible to re-size the genesis screen?

on masteralls emulator, picodrive, it displays a square aspec ratio and has everything on the screen, it looks really good too. whats the difference on how he resized his and the way your talkin about? im just asking cuz right now the screen is pretty small and words arent readable, as on picodrive the screen is big enough words can be read.

also when u say every emulator running at full screen, are u talking about even QVGA devices when it stretches vertical?

The screen stretching is something that needs some improvement. I wasn't referring to that in my post, just the rendering of the original pixels.

The ability to fill the entire screen at full frame rate is also dependent on the speed of the display memory of the device. Some devices (e.g. Dell Axim X5) have very slow video RAM which will slow down any game.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
The screen stretching is something that needs some improvement. I wasn't referring to that in my post, just the rendering of the original pixels.

The ability to fill the entire screen at full frame rate is also dependent on the speed of the display memory of the device. Some devices (e.g. Dell Axim X5) have very slow video RAM which will slow down any game.

L.B.

o ok cool, i look forward to see how it runs since u say youve re done the coding =)

Guest PolloLoco

Wow - I didn't realize this program was still in the works. I saw that the thread was started 3 years ago, so I was surprised to see active posts.

Can anyone comment on the Turbo Graphx emulation on this program? XPCE and Morphgear are decent - I prefer XPCE but there are a couple games that'll only play on Morphgear and vice versa. But one thing both lack - is the ability to use a turbo button - like the original system. Can you set each button as "auto fire" the way the original TG16 worked?

I'm looking forward to trying this program when I get out of work - in the meantime, I'd like to see if anyone has feedback on the TG16 emulation. I had one as a kid, so I'd love to play the old games I once bought.

Guest mikeeey
Wow - I didn't realize this program was still in the works. I saw that the thread was started 3 years ago, so I was surprised to see active posts.

Can anyone comment on the Turbo Graphx emulation on this program? XPCE and Morphgear are decent - I prefer XPCE but there are a couple games that'll only play on Morphgear and vice versa. But one thing both lack - is the ability to use a turbo button - like the original system. Can you set each button as "auto fire" the way the original TG16 worked?

I'm looking forward to trying this program when I get out of work - in the meantime, I'd like to see if anyone has feedback on the TG16 emulation. I had one as a kid, so I'd love to play the old games I once bought.

well just yesterday i was trying the TG16 on this emulator and it seemed to work great. try it out yoiurself, im sure you find it works quite well

Guest PolloLoco
well just yesterday i was trying the TG16 on this emulator and it seemed to work great. try it out yoiurself, im sure you find it works quite well

Can someone tell me what the most recent version of this software is? I've downloaded 0.12, which was modified in March of last year. I don't want to offer commentary until I know I'm testing the most recent file. Please let me know, thanks.

Guest PolloLoco

Awesome, thanks.

I did some extensive testing on Turbografx games. One thing I'm definitely impressed by - is that this program seems to have the best compatibility with TG16 and PCEngine games. There was only one game - Samurai Ghost, that this program couldn't run - but XPCE could. Usually, it was the other way around. Everything else ran more consistently and faster than Morphgear and XPCE. Except for Legendary Axe 2 - for some reason, that game's painfully slow.

There's two things I wish could be improved.

1) The screen stretch is horrible at 90 degrees and 270 degrees. I rotate my screen to landscape mode so I can use my keyboard as buttons. That means I need the screen to be viewed at 90 degrees. Altering the size of the screen seems to do nothing. The top of the game screen wraps around to the bottom, so the image is badly split. At 270 degrees, things look a little better - or else I see nothing at all, the screen (as with Ninja Spirit) goes totally black.

2) What would set this emulator apart would be if you could configure buttons independently to Autofire (turbo). Masterall's done it with FinalBurn - but that'll set all your buttons to turbo. Certain games on TG16 are really only enjoyable if you can use this feature like you could with the actual hardware.

Overall I'm impressed with the performance. However, I wouldn't play it regularly unless the screen rotate and stretch could be solved. If that were done, and the "autofire" function were added - I'd be overjoyed. :-)

Great Job on this emulator!