Car Charger

Guest Mark0824

I think it's something to do with having to have an active sync connection via pc or laptop that prevents these from working. I am going to try with the adaptor from my Fortuna Clip-on to confirm later.

How does the standard charger that you plug into the wall work then?

looking at it as far as I can tell it's a power adapter with a USB cable.

Plus I was charging my c500 today through a USB connection without using activesync I just disabled activesync from working on the USB connection and it charged as normal

Let us know how you get on because I'm thinking of buying one from Expansys

Cheers

Guest BigBlue007

ActiveSync has nothing to do with the USB charging function. The phone is charged because there's a 5V signal on the USB cable. This has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of software / settings and works as soon as the USB port is powered. You could even charge the phone by plugging the USB cable into a selfpowered USB hub that has no connection to a PC at all.

Are you sure about that?

The USB car charger that came with my Fortuna BT GPS unit won't charge my C500, nor the same USB lead when using the mains adapter. The powered USB hub on my monitor won't charge the phone either. (Unless AS is running.)

There are several threads on the issue.

ActiveSync has nothing to do with the USB charging function. The phone is charged because there's a 5V signal on the USB cable. This has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of software / settings and works as soon as the USB port is powered. You could even charge the phone by plugging the USB cable into a selfpowered USB hub that has no connection to a PC at all.

This is absolutely not the case!

Having tested charging extensively, I can tell you that the only way I have found to charge the C500 is using the socket charger or any USB - USB mini cable plugged into PC with the driver for the C500 installed. Try it! Try charging a C500 on a PC without the driver. :)

There must be a signal on the data line as well as power to charge the C500. I don't know why it has been done this way because frankly it is a right pain in the arse.

Anyone aware of the modifications that have to be made to a standard car charger to get this to work?

IF there is some trickery involved such as some form of signal being passed through to activate the charge then there must be some form of component in the mains charger to provide that signal

I can't think of a reason that either HTC or Orange would do this other than to make moneyby making people buy official chargers HOWEVER what about the extra cost of manufactor of the mains chargers? what would be the point?

I have web cams that have LED's etc if I remove the drivers for the webcam the LED stops working. power is no longer supplied to the usb device even though it's plugged in the the USB port. This is why I think the phone won't charge without drivers.

I still think that as long as the correct voltage is passed to the phone it will charge. For those people who have found that they have plugged in their device to a generic charger and it doesn't charge then this may be due to incorrect voltage being supplied.

I remember once when I had a nokia the charger was the exact same size as my camcorder exept my camcorder obviously required a different voltage when I plugged it into my phone it came up with an error that said "not charging" it didn't melt the phone or blow it in anyway.

Guest Confucious

Just checked my Blackberry charger which doesn't work with the C500.

it says 5.0V then a solid line with 3 dashes underneath (Excuse my ignorance - I don't actually recognise that symbol) 0.5A

The C500 Charger says 5.15V then a solid line with 3 dashes underneath 1A

So is it the Ampage that is the problem? or is it the extra .15 V?

It isn't a voltage/ampage issue as a laptop will not charge the device without Activesync running and I have a wall charger which is smack on the same spec as the orange one and it won't work. This does seem to be a problem with something running on the data lines as well as the power lines. It's a thorough pain in the posterior :). THe reason the poster above's webcam LED goes off is because that LED is controlled by the camera to show when it is communicating with the computer. Plug in an LED light or fan on a usb port and it will leap into life without a hint of a driver.

RikF

RikF

Guest Exploited

I've also tried my CAR-USB Charger to no avail. It seems the phone checks the data-lines before charging.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a teensy weensy program that makes the phone think it is connected to a computer? :)

Guest Confucious

Just asked a mate who knows about these things and the symbol (horizontal line with 3 dashes underneath) means DC as opposed to a ~ which means AC.

My Blackberry charger would not work because it is only 1/2 Amp not 1Amp.

Don't know about any of the other problems tho.

Just a thought ......... will require one brave soul to test....

I think, if you connect the TX to the RX within the usb cable, it would charge ??????

This is proberbly how the wall charger works (I am almost sure that it will not have activsync installed :) )

If I can find a spare usb lead, I will have a go (dont tell O, in case it buggers it)

Rik

Guest rickwookie
I think, if you connect the TX to the RX within the usb cable, it would charge ??????

TX to the RX???

USB has no TX and RX, just DATA+ and DATA-.

I'm going to TRY to connect my C500 mains charger to a scope and see if there really is any signal on the D+ and/or D- pins. I say 'try' because the pins are not going to be easy to get to without accidentally shorting them or having to hack open the cable, which I'm not about to do.

Guest rickwookie

That is transmit and receive!

Are you sure, or just speculating? There was I thinking that USB uses a differential transmission pair for data (DATA+ is non-inverting and DATA- is inverting), but hey what do I know! :wink:

ANYWAY...

...I've hacked open my C500 mains charger (quick, where's the superglue), and sure enough there are only 2 wires leaving the box to the mini USB cable, GND (black wire) and VO (white wire). However, after very careful probing, with a very tiny probe no less, I've established that the GND wire is connected to both pins 4 and 5 of the mini USB connector.

Now usually pin 4 would be not connected to anything as pin 5 is normally GND. So next I probed the C500 data cable to see if pins 4 and five of the mini USB were connected together. They weren't of course.

So what does all this mean?

Well, from what I've discovered I conclude that the C500 will only charge if:

1) There is data on the line (even if it isn't saying anything :wink: )

OR

2) Pin 4 of the mini USB plug is grounded.

So what's the solution to making the generic car chargers work?

Do nothing to the car charger. Mod the data cable so that pin 4 at the 'mini' end is connected to ground.

This IS all speculation and I suspect that it is easier said than done. I haven't yet hacked open my data cable, but I expect there are only four wires in it, and the only way to ground pin 4 (mini end) is to somehow bridge them at the connector. I think that is beyond my soldering skills (have you seen the size of the contacts on the plug?!) but I may give it a go anyway.

Anyone else want to try? Let us know here.

Guest rickwookie

Posted from my SmartPhone while it is charging in my car using a £1.49 cigarette lighter USB adaptor and my newly modded C500 data cable!

I'll let you know if it still works as a data cable when I get home. ;-)

Guest rickwookie

Modded cable doesn't work for data now. :)

When I connect it to the PC it just charges. I suspect that when the phone is in 'charge from adaptor mode' it inhibits the data lines. :lol:

Guest rickwookie

SLOVED!

Found a 'spare' USB A to mini B cable that came with my camera. Never even taken it out of the plastic bag as I use a card reader.

Now I have one cable for my car charger (the butchered C500 cable) and one for my 'active syncing', thanks to Canon.

YAY! :)