Solution to adding t9 languages to SPV C500

Guest dearsina

Guest dearsina

NOTE

I wrote the following instructions after successfully installing a Norwegian T9 DLL on my Orange C500. Afterwards, I tried to install a few other languages from the DLL zip attached below, without success. I decided to share it with you anyway, in case someone out there could figure out why I'm suddenly getting negative results.

Introduction

You can add additional languages to your SPV C500 by placing T9 language DLLs in the Storage area of your phone and identifying their path in the registry.

You'll need...

You’ll need the t9 language DLLs you wish to import to your phone and a Registry Editor, like PHM RegEdit:

http://www.phm.lu/products/Smartphone/RegEdit/

'I told you so'

We’re not doing particularly fancy stuff, but playing with the registry should always come with a little ‘I told you so’ in case your phone decides to die and you decide to track me down to shove your now useless phone up my nose—or other body cavities for that matter. So, playing with the registry can have fatal consequences for your phone and for anybody near it.

Language DLLs

So, the first thing you need is a t9 language DLLs. I’ve attached a few to this thread in a handy little ZIP file. It contains the following languages:

Czech

Finnish

Hungarian

Norwegian

Portuguese

Swedish

Download it here: T9LanguageDLLs.zip

You can try your luck on a search engine to find more, but they are a little bit difficult to track down. It would be very useful if you’re sitting on other languages to share them with the rest of us by for instance attaching them to this thread.

Extracting DLLs from your phone

If you have a t9 DLL on your phone, there is a way of extracting it. Copy the file from the \Windows folder where you’ll usually find the t9 files to \Storage Card. Turn off your phone, take out the storage card and put it in a SD card reader to save them on your computer. I have also read that you can IR or BT them using SmartExplorer, but the inbuilt Explorer is sufficient enough.

You might run into trouble if you simply plug your phone into ActiveSync and try to copy the files into your computer because they are somehow marked as system files and thus notoriously difficult to do anything with.

Microsoft Langauge ID

Also, note down the language ID of your language. This is useful when playing with the registry. You can find a handy list here (Look at the LCID Hex column):

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/referen...setup/lcid.mspx

1. Store your DLL

Place your language DLL in a folder under \Storage\Application Data\

I’ve called mine t9 so the complete path becomes:

\Storage\Application Data\t9\

2. Edit the registry

Now, over to the registry goodness. There are two places you need to play with. The first one is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\T9 Input Method\MUI\Languages

Click on the Available value and edit it. Add your language ID to the list and save. If you want to be extra fancy, place them in alphabetical order, as the list wont get sorted, it will just be read from beginning to end and your languages will be placed in that order.

Now, click back a couple of times and select the LDBs folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\T9 Input Method\LDBs

Here, add a New Value (String value) for each new language you are installing, the name of the Value is the Language ID and the Value Data is the path to the language file, for instance:

Value: 0414

Value Data: \Storage\Application Data\t9\T9NorwegianLdb.dll

Reset and go

Reset your phone for the above to take effect. You can now select your new language from the dropdown text type menu, for instance when writing a text message.

sina

london

Guest crazyboy

I have a mitac mio 8390 and i think this solution work too me but ther'is a big problem: i can't copy dll from my phone..

I want extract dll for italian language from another 8390 but when i copy it by phoneexplorer i receive an error.In other world the file is protect!!!

There is a solution to work around it??

Guest dearsina
I have a mitac mio 8390 and i think this solution work too me but ther'is a big problem: i can't copy dll from my phone..

I want extract dll for italian language from another 8390 but when i copy it by  phoneexplorer i receive an error.In other world the file is protect!!!

There is a solution to work around it??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had some problems copying the DLL files out of the \windows folder too. What worked for me was to copy the files to \Storage first, than from there to \Storage Card, all using the inbuilt File Manager (You'll find it in the Accessories folder). Don't use ActiveSync to move the files on the computer, it won't work.

If that doesn't work, I could always extract the Italian DLL for you myself. Let me know.

sina

london

Guest crazyboy

Ok, i haven't copy italian dll.

i tested this solution with other language (portuguese and norwegian) but don't work.I see language in t9 menu but i can't write nothing...I think that dll isn't compatible with mitac 8390...I think that if i can't extract dll from another 8390 it can't work.

Thank's.

Guest tito2002

I made all the steps 3 times , and every time didn`t work! I have T9Romanian in menu, but when i select it , i can`t write anything!!!

Where do i make mistake?

I made all the steps 3 times , and every time didn`t work!  I have T9Romanian in menu, but when i select it , i can`t write anything!!!

Where do i make mistake?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check my post in this thread. For me it works perfectly.

Is your phone app unlocked?

Can you please post what values you have for "Available" in registry? I can create the cab for you, so it installs everything automatically.

Another idea, not sure if it matters: did you put the dll on the phone, or on the memory card?

dearsina,

This tip works just perfect for me. A big Thank You from me and all the other lost souls of Denmark, where Orange is closing down, without ever releasing a single update for the C500. Now we get to enjoy our C500s anyway :D

Edited by spvdk

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tomas Kocanda

I would like to ask, if anybody knows:

- is possible to edit T9AW.UDB (like using that T9Editor if there is any now)?

- is possible to edit for example T9CzechLdb.dll, remove accents in all the dictionary (as accented characters "eat" space from SMS messages so instead of 162 characters is possible to send only 70 characters with message where is accented just one) and save it and use it instead of for example Norwegian T9 or so?

Thans for ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zuf78

I have found some notes that *Ldb.dll like T9CzechLdb.dll should be placed in \windows directory, but than I have been searching for a while and found a way to get russian T9 (http://martin-martin.narod.ru/MPX200.html) - this is done by changin t9ime.dll - so I think the Ldb files have to match correct version of t9ime.dll (keyboard layout) to work properly - so current procedure works for some languages but not all. Could you send me the t9ime.dll from the same version you have retrieved the T9CzechLdb.dll. Many thanks Zuf78

Guest Tomas Kocanda
I have found some notes that *Ldb.dll like T9CzechLdb.dll should be placed in \windows directory, but than I have been searching for a while and found a way to get russian T9 (http://martin-martin.narod.ru/MPX200.html) - this is done by changin t9ime.dll - so I think the Ldb files have to match correct version of t9ime.dll (keyboard layout) to work properly - so current procedure works for some languages but not all. Could you send me the t9ime.dll from the same version you have retrieved the T9CzechLdb.dll. Many thanks Zuf78

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting. If you can help, it would be fantastic...

OK, here are all T9xxxx files from \windows

T9_all_files_from_windows.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Purgatory
Very interesting. If you can help, it would be fantastic...

OK, here are all T9xxxx files from \windows

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's great.. but i need a turkish library. if anyone can copy from a phone which supports turkish t9 i will be appriciated. i thiink mpx 220 has ;)

Edited by Purgatory

Guest Rampe

I was trying my luck getting the MPx200's T9 to Finnish. No luck so far. Cannot type anything, no letters while pressing the keys.

What's the thing with those T9ime.dll's? I can't even seem to find where my T9LanguageLdb.dll files are on the phone altho they are mentioned in the registry (with no absolut path).

Edited by Rampe

Guest dearsina
I was trying my luck getting the MPx200's T9 to Finnish. No luck so far. Cannot type anything, no letters while pressing the keys.

What's the thing with those T9ime.dll's? I can't even seem to find where my T9LanguageLdb.dll files are on the phone altho they are mentioned in the registry (with no absolut path).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember when I did it (added languages) the second time around, the language comes up on the list, but the dll files doesn't seem to be loaded (ie. I wasn't able to write anything), which seems to be what you're experiensing. I still don't know what I did the first time to make it work. If I have time, I'll play around with it again (the phone I did it on developed an unrelated fault and I have a replacement now).

sina

london

Guest tha_neo

I know why it didnt work for any of you!

Here it is:D:D:D

If you have followed his step you should almost be done, the last thing you need to do is this:

go to

HKLocalMachine\T9 input Method\MUI\Languages

and there add in the string Available, edit and add the LCID Hex that your t9 you want to import have.

For exampel, if you want swedish you will have to add ,041d in the end of that string.

I did this and now I can use swedish T9 on my C500 with Orange ROM with WMP10:D greaaaaaaaaaat!!

Guest Rampe

Here's what I did (and doesn't work as of yet):

Added string 040b with value "Finnish" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/MUI/Available

Added string 040b with value "\Storage\Application Data\t9\T9FinnishLdb.dll" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/T9 Input Method/LDBs

Added string 040b with value "Finnish" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/T9 Input Method/MUI/LDBS

Finnish language appers in the T9 menu and I can select it. When trying to type, not letters are entered.

Phone is Motorola MPx200 with WM2003.

Any hope whatsoever?

Guest tha_neo

Added string 040b with value "Finnish" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/MUI/Available

Added string 040b with value "\Storage\Application Data\t9\T9FinnishLdb.dll" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/T9 Input Method/LDBs

Added string 040b with value "Finnish" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/T9 Input Method/MUI/LDBS

Finnish language appers in the T9 menu and I can select it. When trying to type, not letters are entered.

Phone is Motorola MPx200 with WM2003.

Any hope whatsoever?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You yould not add a string called 040b with value Finnish in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/MUI/Available

Available is a string with values such as 0414 and more, at the end of that value add ",040b"

Then it should work

Guest Rampe
You yould not add a string called 040b with value Finnish in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/MUI/Available

Available is a string with values such as 0414 and more, at the end of that value add ",040b"

Then it should work

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently that's one of the differences between C500 and MPx200. I have a "directory" called Available, under that I have string-keys named with the country code and valued with language name.

Guest tha_neo

Oh okey!

Don´t know how it is with MPx200. I had a mpx200 before with SP2002 and had problems importing another language... DOnt know how it works with 2003.

Guest dearsina

[...]

Any hope whatsoever?

You did exactly as I did, and as I mentioned in the original post, the first time I did it it worked like a charm, the second time it failed, so I really don't know what to say, other than, try again... ;)

• 4 weeks later...