Guest zimyc

Guest zimyc

[399]HandyConverter.JPG

File Name :: HandyConverter 0.2 BETA

Author :: zimyc

Category :: Tools - Travel

Description ::

Yet another unit converter program.

Handyconverter is a really precise English Imperial/Metric converter. Has nine different types:

Length, Area, Volume, Mass, Force, Pressure, Energy, Power, Temperature.

Has a total of 101 different units to convert both ways.

Its not a graphical master piece, its simple and fast. That's it.

NOTE: I have not added Rankine due to confusion, i found three different sites saying three different ways to convert from Rankine and to Rankine, so if someone could give me the correct way, i'll gladly add it. I have not added mileage conversion yet, due to the same reason as with Rankine, so if you know the correct way, drop me a note at [email protected]

Changes:

0.2 BETA

Removed the 'types menu' and added a 'types' combobox.

Changed the layout.

Hopefully fixed the mapping problems.

Some minor spellings fixed :D

0.1 BETA

First release.

View the file

Edited by zimyc

Guest awarner [MVP]

Nice one :D

Any help you need give me a shout I'm always looking for apps like these as you never know when you will need them.

Guest lighthouse82

Great app, thanks! :D

just a couple of things...

1. you seem to have mapped up and down the wrong way round on the main screen.

2. it's spelt metre, not meter; and similarly, litre not liter.

3. this is very pedantic, but it's nautical mile (NM), not nautic

cheers!

Guest zimyc
Great app, thanks! :D

just a couple of things...

1. you seem to have mapped up and down the wrong way round on the main screen.

2. it's spelt metre, not meter; and similarly, litre not liter.

3. this is very pedantic, but it's nautical mile (NM), not nautic

cheers!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Weird, not like that on my device, nor on the emulator, maybe its just on the c500? Or has anyone else with another device experienced the same?

Actually i didn't map anything, the visual studio did this by itself, any ideas on how to fix this?

3. Will be updated in the next release.

Its good you point out typo's, personally i hate typo's.

Guest zimyc
HandyValues

HandyValues is a list manager designed to keep all important information readily available.  HandyValues is only available for WindowsCE/PocketPC devices.  In addition to managing lists, HandyValues also provides a built-in HandyConverter for converting weights, masses, volumes, lengths, temperatures, and rates and a built-in HandyCalculator which is integrated with the calculator for better use of converted values.

I found this at www.handymed.com when i searched for HandyConverter on Google.

Does this mean i have to change the name of the application? It says nothing about copyrights on the page, and even if they had, do they have copyright on the name? Is it allowed to have copyright on a name which is a normal word, like; Microsoft doesn't have copyright on the name Windows, but the have copyright on Microsoft.

Guest Confucious
Meter is not incorrect.

Liter is not incorrect. 

Just because you spell it 'colour' does not invalidate 'color', etc...

It depends if it is supposed to be in English or American english. Meter, Liter and color are not correct English spellings but are correct for American english.

Personally I hate American english but as most foreigners learn it and it seems to be the lingua franca of the internet we have to get used to it.

Just like the way a billion iis now a thousand million.

Bring back quill pens is what I say, mutter, mutter, mumble mumble.......

Guest lighthouse82

i thought about the american spellings of liter and meter: but since this is an English website, i believe we should be employing UK English.

Guest Jamma14

I agree! And a billion should be 1,000,000,000,000 coz you can just say a thousand million for the american billion but a million million would be stupid so making that a billion is logical then after a thousand billion, and a million billion it should be the next name change (like a trillion or woteva) anyway Brits rule! :D

O and PS. It's mum how does "mom" sound right??????

Guest cstewart

Way to much importance on the localization of several spellings. BTW, English is capitalized whether or not it is British English or American English.

Spell it how ever you choose, the reasonably bright users that would have need of unit conversions will easily understand.

Nise Wurk! :D

Charles

Guest Confucious
Way to much importance on the localization of several spellings. BTW, English is capitalized whether or not it is British English or American English.

Spell it how ever you choose, the reasonably bright users that would have need of unit conversions will easily understand.

Nise Wurk!  :D

Charles

I know but I didn't capitalize the American version to make the distinction.

Being able to understand something and it being correct are two completely different things. But with my atrocious typing and awful spelling who am I to talk? ;)

Guest xenophobe

Ummm... we won the American Revolution. American English is the way it should be spelled. :D

That being said, is there any way to make the choice between conversions arrow selectable in a field format instead of going to the menu?

Also, is there any way to have the fields a different color from the background?

Edited by xenophobe

Guest awarner [MVP]

Personally I think the spelling issue is petty and getting out of hand, lets stick to discussing the merits of the app and support it's development.

I don't care how the words are spelt we all know what they mean.

Now an electronic formula would be cool (I know there is one already) now to find one that can do all my iee regulations on electrical installations :D

Guest zimyc
Ummm... we won the American Revolution.  American English is the way it should be spelled.  :D

That being said, is there any way to make the choice between conversions arrow selectable in a field format instead of going to the menu? 

Also, is there any way to have the fields a different color from the background?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both your wishes have been made.

See the first post.

Guest phonesmarts
Personally I think the spelling issue is petty and getting out of hand, lets stick to discussing the merits of the app and support it's development.

I don't care how the words are spelt we all know what they mean.

Now an electronic formula would be cool (I know there is one already) now to find one that can do all my iee regulations on electrical installations :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...I remember when I used to do that with my TI-83+.

Nice one, zimy. I like the amount you can convert, but the interface takes a little getting used to. Will you be adding currency sometime in the future? If so, can you have some type of reference text that lists the currency so that we can have up-to-date currency conversions (I don't have mobile internet)

Guest zimyc
Hmm...I remember when I used to do that with my TI-83+.

Nice one, zimy.  I like the amount you can convert, but the interface takes a little getting used to.  Will you be adding currency sometime in the future?  If so, can you have some type of reference text that lists the currency so that we can have up-to-date currency conversions (I don't have mobile internet)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think I'm going to add currency, but if you really a need currency converter there are free ones out there, that can update the currencies via GPRS.

Guest martin

I've just tried this software and it works great - very easy to use.

The first thing I noticed though is that the text is very small. Personally I'm fine with the small text but some people could have dificulty reading it.

I love this convertor and I definitely need something like this on my phone :D

Guest zimyc

The first thing I noticed though is that the text is very small.  Personally I'm fine with the small text but some people could have dificulty reading it.

I've thought about it, but as long as i don't get any complains(hope your wasn't :D) i don't think i'll change it.

Thanks for the feedback btw

Guest efishta

I found it interesting that I could run this program on my regular Windows XP system right away - is it the new .Net platform Microsoft keeps talking about that's doing this? As write once - run anywhere, ala java?

Guest zimyc
I found it interesting that I could run this program on my regular Windows XP system right away - is it the new .Net platform Microsoft keeps talking about that's doing this? As write once - run anywhere, ala java?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah its the new .Net platform Microsoft keeps talking about, but you can only run it on windows platforms i think.

Guest xenophobe

Thanks for those changes... I've used the 0.1 beta a number of times, and for some reason got it to crash once... since you updated, I'll try this before making any more comments.

Guest xenophobe

After playing with it a little bit, the only things I would suggest:

1) Place all the selectable fieds in a row... as they are next to the data fields, it seems really cramped...

[ conversion type <>]

[ unit origin <>]

[convert to <>]

[original value ]

[converted amount ]

2) it might be nice if you could have the data fields in white as well, and possibly show the converted amount at a larger font...

Just suggestions.

Guest xenophobe

I also think it would look better like that and it wouldn't be a step backward... You have plenty of screen real-estate, and it seems cramped the way it is. It would be nice if it could remember what units were last selected.

I do end up using this a few times a day as well...

• 3 months later...
Guest m1.carson

I've got a sneaky feeling I can answer this myself, but, will this app run under 2002 ? a converter is something I've wanted for a while.