Orange Extended_ROM File list and priority please?

Guest NikLP

If you want to know what does what in the Extended_ROM install that happens after you hard reset your Magician device - you're in the right place! :)

I think.

This information is based on the information I have gathered from tinkering with an ORANGE UK device.

Edited by NikLP

Here is the list of available software on the E_ROM, as applied in this file (config.txt, which installs all the software) which is shown here verbatim.

Edit: List with explanations follows below

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPDisable.exe

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\AutoLock.exe

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Delete_vdisk_shortcut_WWE.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\PhonePad_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC12.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\SmartDialing_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC13.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Caller_ID_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC13.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Camera_Wizard_Artist_Orangee_WWE_RC18_Customize.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\MA_ORUK_Version_UserAgent.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\CAB-ArcsoftMMS-2.0.0.20-Magician-Generic-ENU-27Dec04.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\CV2.41.386_WWE.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\JMM101257_WWE_1004.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Fonix2.0_UKEnglish0907_09282004.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\SPB_GPRS_v2.20(Build487)_WWE_1015.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_Del_Start.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_ActionE_Connection.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_PIEhome_favorite.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_PIEhome_favorite_patch.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\CAB-Customization-Magician-OrangeUK-13Jan05.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_Help_102804.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_Add_Programs.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Orange_GPRS_Desconnect.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Orange_New_Today.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\BTHUSB_PATCH_AKU2.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OEM_Camera-9650_05032301.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\ORUK_WapPush_UAProf_106174.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\USSD_Beep_20050511.CAB

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPEnable.exe

RST: Reset

Edited by NikLP

Ok, this is the best I can do for now. Here is a list of all the stuff in the Orange M500 UK Extended_ROM storage device and what it does (to the best of my knowledge). This will hopefully help most of you to perform the hard reset/soft reset hack (which prevents the install of some of the OEM software) to improve the memory on the device. This guide is based on ROM Version 1.06.00. It is also partly aided by the chap who wrote this guide for O2's XDAs @ http://forum.mypdacafe.com/viewtopic.php?t=4166

The hard reset/soft reset hack can be found on this site somewhere, I can't remember where... search yielded nothing (surprise...)

And now, the Extended_ROM file list etc! :D

Key:

- = nothing

* = mandatory

/ = optional

? = dunno/incomplete knowledge

Y = I installed this (mostly personal preferences here)

N = I didn't install this, and had no ill effects (also some personal prefs)

The List:

First line is copied directly from \Extended_ROM\Config.txt

Second line explains what is going on

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPDisable.exe

- - Disable touchscreen

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\AutoLock.exe

- - Lock something or other

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Delete_vdisk_shortcut_WWE.sa.CAB

Y * Mandatory - Suspect this deletes the shortcut to the Extended_ROM storage - see Notes

CAB: \Extended_ROM\PhonePad_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC12.CAB

Y / Optional - Phone Pad input device

CAB: \Extended_ROM\SmartDialing_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC13.CAB

Y / Optional - Smart Dialler, whatever that is

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Caller_ID_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC13.CAB

Y / Optional - Caller ID Software

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Camera_Wizard_Artist_Orangee_WWE_RC18_Customize.CAB

Y * Mandatory - Camera Support software

CAB: \Extended_ROM\MA_ORUK_Version_UserAgent.CAB

Y ? Mandatory - Don't know, looks important! :) - see Notes

CAB: \Extended_ROM\CAB-ArcsoftMMS-2.0.0.20-Magician-Generic-ENU-27Dec04.CAB

Y / Optional - MMS Software

CAB: \Extended_ROM\CV2.41.386_WWE.CAB

N / Optional - ClearVue PPT/PDF viewer

CAB: \Extended_ROM\JMM101257_WWE_1004.CAB

N / Optional - Java Midlet Manager

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Fonix2.0_UKEnglish0907_09282004.sa.CAB

N / Optional - Fonix Voice Dial

CAB: \Extended_ROM\SPB_GPRS_v2.20(Build487)_WWE_1015.CAB

N / Optional - SPB GRPS monitoring software

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_Del_Start.sa.CAB

N ? Don't know - suspect this updates the start menu with the naff Orange app options - did not install, no ill effects AFAIK

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_ActionE_Connection.CAB

Y ? Mandatory - Don't know, looks important! ;) - see Notes

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_PIEhome_favorite.CAB

N / Optional - Crap pIE settings I reckon

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_PIEhome_favorite_patch.CAB

N / Optional - More pIE settings by the looks

CAB: \Extended_ROM\CAB-Customization-Magician-OrangeUK-13Jan05.sa.CAB

N ? Don't know - suspect this is Orange desktops and themes and whatnot (i.e, crap)

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_Help_102804.sa.CAB

N / Optional - Orange help files = waste of space, time, effort, etc.

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_Add_Programs.sa.CAB

N / Optional - Orange software - not sure what, SimTK etc maybe?

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Orange_GPRS_Desconnect.sa.CAB

Y ? Mandatory - don't really know, but we don't want to mess with GPRS stuff *too* much, do we...?

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Orange_New_Today.sa.CAB

N ? Optional - no idea, looks useless, just guessing now though - did not install, no ill effects

CAB: \Extended_ROM\BTHUSB_PATCH_AKU2.CAB

Y * Mandatory - God knows, looks like it might be a bluetooth driver update of some sort

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OEM_Camera-9650_05032301.CAB

Y * Mandatory - Camera application? You'll probably want this I guess!

CAB: \Extended_ROM\ORUK_WapPush_UAProf_106174.sa.CAB

Y * Mandatory - looks important if you wanna use WAP I guess, don't know.

CAB: \Extended_ROM\USSD_Beep_20050511.CAB

Y ? Mandatory - installed this as I have no idea what it does.

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPEnable.exe

- - Enable touchscreen

RST: Reset

- - Reset device

Notes:

Re: \Extended_ROM\Delete_vdisk_shortcut_WWE.sa.CAB

I haven't checked out what this does, I reckon it is a small script to delete the shortcut to the Extended_ROM storage area that appears in the File Explorer when you reboot the device after the soft reset stage. Knowing this would enable someone to further the information given on this page, as I reckon it would be possible to not run this, and then identify the functionality of certain of these apps more specifically by a process of elimination. Frankly, I can't be bothered.

Re: \Extended_ROM\MA_ORUK_Version_UserAgent.CAB

Re: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_ActionE_Connection.CAB

These two suckers are a bit more complicated AFAIK, as they seem to have 'split personalities' as it were. In there is the Orange setup stuff for GPRS and the dodgy homescreens and also the Backup/Download utils. I don't know which holds which, or if there's another way to get round any of this. Feel free to update the thread with new info and I'll maybe update this post if necessary.

Wait, there's more! :D

There is also a zip file attached to this post containing three files:

1 - Config.txt - the original config file, totally pointless but possibly useful for the sake of comparison or whatever

2 - Config Explanations.txt - a line by line list of the explanations (useful for flipping between open docs in an app like Crimson Editor if that's your bag)

3 - Config Explanations (Inline).txt - a copy of the list verbatim, as it reads above

Hope this helps - I don't know anything more about this, so no point PM'ing me with questions - just leave them here for someone clever to answer. Bump the thread with a thanks if you think it has been useful, hopefully other people will too. :(

Orange_UK_M500_Extended_ROM_Details.zip

Edited by NikLP

Guest EggZenBeanz
CV2.41.386_WWE      ppt viewer+ pdf

PhonePad_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC12 	 t9 phonepad

SPB_GPRS_v2.20(Build487)_WWE_1015 	 today screen gprs monitor

Orange_New_Today.sa   	 has bigger grass.tsk and maybe changes today screen font sizes(use)+

JMM101257_WWE_1004   	 midlet manager

`BTHUSB_PATCH_AKU2   	 btdriver (NEEDED)+

USSD_Beep_20050511   	 dialtone thing/at modem etc

CAB-ArcsoftMMS-2.0.0.20-Magician-Generic-ENU-27Dec04	alows mms to be made in messaging (CAB-ArcsoftMMS-20022-Magician-Generic-ENU-08Mar05)+

OrangeUK_ActionE_Connection    installs grass.tsk, action update, action backup **ALSO GPRS SETTINGS!!!!**

OrangeUK_Help_102804.sa   	 installs personal orange helpfile(not needed)

OrangeUK_Add_Programs.sa    add simple shortcuts to program, eg ie and phone+

OrangeUK_PIEhome_favorite    brands PIE

OrangeUK_PIEhome_favorite_patch    updates PIE branding

OrangeUK_Del_Start.sa   	 dels help and phone icon from start menu (useful)

MA_ORUK_Version_UserAgent    brands the extrom as Operator version 6.06.1.175 (not needed)

CAB-Customization-Magician-OrangeUK-13Jan05.sa  setsup MMS server(NEEDED)

Orange_GPRS_Desconnect.sa    adds reg setting to phone(load it anyway)

ORUK_WapPush_UAProf_106174.sa    setups WAP(load it anyway)+

OEM_Camera-9650_05032301    camera settings patch(hmm, needed with upgraded camera app?)

Camera_Wizard_Artist_Orangee_WWE_RC18_Customize  adds camera icon to programs<<needs checking. replaced by above

Delete_vdisk_shortcut_WWE.sa    removes access to hidden rom

SmartDialing_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC13 	 dialing keypad

Edited by EggZenBeanz

Guest confused and hungover

thanks! this has been very helpfull... what i really need though is a version for the dutch rom as most of the programs are different. i installed the BTUSB_HUB thing for bluetooth but still can't get it working, apart from that everything is running smoothly

EDIT: sweet! did a soft reset and it sprang to life, now everything is working AFAIK; and i have a total of 57.41MB internal memory :)

Edited by confused and hungover

thanks! this has been very helpfull... what i really need though is a version for the dutch rom as most of the programs are different. i installed the BTUSB_HUB thing for bluetooth but still can't get it working, apart from that everything is running smoothly

EDIT: sweet! did a soft reset and it sprang to life, now everything is working AFAIK; and i have a total of 57.41MB internal memory :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good stuff ;)

Suspect that this may be a partial truth (the amount of memory) but you will certainly have more program memory accessible. Can't comment further as I don't know for sure.

BTW I have seen SPB Pocket Plus in action and there's some VERY helpful features on there to help with home screen/memory management etc - like making the close button actually close programs! :shock:

Don't have access to the Dutch ROM unfortunately/obviously, so can't help there, maybe some other bright spark will help out there?

Guest Pondrew
BTW I have seen SPB Pocket Plus in action and there's some VERY helpful features on there to help with home screen/memory management etc - like making the close button actually close programs! :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing to be wary of with regard programs that force close programs is that it can cause new problems. For example it has been reported that duplicate text messages are sent when closing the messaging program after clicking send on a text message (so using up your text message allowance quicker).

Guest diablous

from what i can understand after testing the delete_vdisk actually deletes the partition, as it is removed from the phone, and cannot be located.

also my space has increased by installing selected apps instead of the lot.

and it increased further once I deleted the v disk

from what i can understand after testing the delete_vdisk actually deletes the partition, as it is removed from the phone, and cannot be located.

also my space has increased by installing selected apps instead of the lot.

and it increased further once I deleted the v disk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm I'm not sure if that's not just a trcik of the OS, I believe the apps are stored in the ROM and therefore they ARE still there, just not visible.

I think further investigation here at Modaco will confirm that, although I won't guarantee that.

Edit: I'm convinced of this, because that's the point of the BigStorage ROM hack AFAIK

Edited by NikLP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've been using SPB plus for about 2 months, it's alright but seems to conflict with not only windows operation, but with other apps i have installed such as wisebar advanced etc... thinking about giving it the boot and trying something else...

i've been using SPB plus for about 2 months, it's alright but seems to conflict with not only windows operation, but with other apps i have installed such as wisebar advanced etc... thinking about giving it the boot and trying something else...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes these apps that integrate with system stuff don't seem to get on very well really do they... I think the KISS principle is probably the best methodology with these devices.

Do I detect a hint of off-topic-ness?

May I suggest implementing the KISS principle again?! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL

No word on the Dutch ROM from anywhere?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

doesn't look like it, what i can tell you is that only about half of the cr*p in the UK rom file is in the dutch one, but all of the really important ones seem to be present in both... i'm not gonna mess around with mine anymore, i just got it working perfectly, all backed up, plenty of memory, everything in its place as it were...

Glad someone's finding it useful!

I know there's a lot of info at xda-developers.com as well, but their site is so knackered I can't even register, for whatever reason...

Anyway, glad to be of help... :)

NikL I couldn't register either mate,

Do it all through pass through connection through your M500 then just log on the webiste:) thats what I did

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worth a shot I suppose, although why that would work I dunno!

BTW did anyone work out what happens if you DON'T run the delete vdisk application after soft reset? I didn't think to try and it's too late for me now (son).

Also, if one were to back up the ROM apps to Storage Card and then disk, it must be of course be possible to install them at a later date - but do they install normally? i.e, can you then *uninstall* them using remove programs, in the normal manner - or do they hide themselves away like the originals?

Just a thought...

Thanks very much was very helpful

what I left out was

Orange UK PIEhome favorite

Orange UK PIEhome favorite patch

Orange UK Help 102804

CV2

JMM

Fonix2.0

And my storage is about 7mb used

From what I can remember the mms cab used a good bit of this.

Now I have the extended rom backed up on my pc I was thinking of doing the big rom hack and puting the extended rom onto my storage card incase of the phone reseting itself.

Has anybody done the big rom hack and suffered any ill effects ?

I also tryed to install

CV2

JMM

Fonix2.0

Caller ID

SPB GPRS v2.20

to the storage card using cabinstl but it would only insatll to the phone, anybody know of a work around ?

I noticed that the GPRS settings are included in the OrangeUK_ActionE_Connection.CAB file. All the Action Engine rubbish is in here too.

I made a cab which installs the Orange GPRS settings only, rather than installing everything (I'm not sure how much space this saves).

BTW - not running the delete vdisk app means the storage area is visible but read only, so not much use.

I've applied the big storage hack, and have managed to install certain apps to the storage area, rather than the storage card (I suspect just because something doesn't run from the card, doesn't mean it won't work from the storage area).