HTC Wizard Tips and Tricks

Guest Phil Lee

Guest adchaffey
Very strange...! Whenever I select Nullkb the keyboard pops up. Wonder what I've done wrong

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had to give mine a quick restart to get it to work. Have you tried that yet?

Can't get this working on the Qtek. Anyone else? Seemed to install ok 1st time but there was no option to select it in the input method. Now all I get is 'installation was unsuccesful' when I try and re-install.

I would love to get this working too. :cry:

Guest RichardD
probably obvious but i didnt figure it out at first but the ok button next to the space bar corrosponds to the ok button in the top right of the screen to close windows etc

No, I missed that too, probably in the manual. :)

I searched for " close application keyboard " I think and took a chance on it being in this thread. :D

So... thank you.

Guest PayableOnDeath
incidentally does anyone know how to stop this popping up all the time when you're going through entry fields (for eg, on the web)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you are entering data and it pops up then just start typing and the onscreen keyboard goes :)

Guest RichardD

not sure if this is on all Wizards, if it's a WM5 thing or perhaps it does this on all PPCs

(admins please edit / delete as applicable :) )

If you hold "down" when scrolling through your contacts,

it displays a large letter in the middle, running through the alphabet,

when you let go it jumps to that letter in your contacts.

Guest bennish
not sure if this is on all Wizards, if it's a WM5 thing or perhaps it does this on all PPCs

(admins please edit / delete as applicable  :) )

If you hold "down" when scrolling through your contacts,

it displays a large letter in the middle, running through the alphabet,

when you let go it jumps to that letter in your contacts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah i like that. it would be so much nicer tho if pressing 'up' would select those 'ab' 'cde' etc boxes. don't suppose there's any cool software way or hack to make them selectable...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
if you are entering data and it pops up then just start typing and the onscreen keyboard goes  :)

Tried doing tha with an MSN messenger chat window? :D

Guest madferret
Cool. I've posted this on another topic, but can anyone recommend a good (but free!) registry editor that works well on WM5?

I find Mobile Registry Editor useful. It runs from your PC, which makes it much easier to navigate around the various keys. Some limitations - you need .NET 1.1, and certain settings appear to be locked (see the FAQ).

Guest PayableOnDeath
Tried doing tha with an MSN messenger chat window? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yup, thats how i know it does that :D

read message with on screen keyboard, slide out hardware keyboard, screen flips, onscreen keyboard still on screen, press first letter of reply on hardware keyboard, on screen keyboard goes untill i come out of the chat ro slide keyboard back in :)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Ah my point was that it seems to remove the on-screen keyboard in a chat window when you start typing, however it does not realign the text input box to account for this newly aquired screen realestate. You can get round it by manually flicking the keyboard on and off again, just tedious its so unintuitive. I have mentioned this to the Mobile Devices guys at MS!

Guest PayableOnDeath
Ah my point was that it seems to remove the on-screen keyboard in a chat window when you start typing, however it does not realign the text input box to account for this newly aquired screen realestate.  You can get round it by manually flicking the keyboard on and off again, just tedious its so unintuitive.  I have mentioned this to the Mobile Devices guys at MS!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does ok for me, cos i send a message then pop the keyboard back in while i wait a reply :)

Guest madferret
probably obvious but i didnt figure it out at first but the ok button next to the space bar corrosponds to the ok button in the top right of the screen to close windows etc

And the Tab key will cycle round all the links, including tabbed windows, making it easy to select them without the stylus.

Guest bennish

cool! i never thought of that! i was getting so annoyed at pocket ie... thanks!

(suppose i never really noticed the tab key until i got thirsty and tried to order one).

Guest kingronnie
Animated Windows anyone??

HKLM\System\GWE  change Animate to 1  and then soft-reset.

Doesn't appear to slow things down much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Done that, but can't see any difference. Am I being thick? What does it animate?

Ronnie

• 1 month later...
Guest philipmitchelson

Hello guys... osrry to go back over old ground..

I have loaded up the php regitry editor on my mini s, i can find all the lines of the registry i need to chage to the tweaked settings...

BUT.....

When im asked to set the "value data"

and choose the "base" from

Binary

Decimal

Hexadecimal

I am stuck.

Could any one tell me the 3 numbers i need to put in the "value data" and which base i need to use..So that the registry reads in post No 12...

Will mine look different if im on a mini s , compared to a vaio.

thank you so much for you help i nadvance...

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Only just discovered this one, and the way I was doing it, was furstrating me.

Every day, on getting into the office, I drop the ring volume to the lowest (don't actually want it off or on vibrate only). And when I leave the office I up the volume to one below the highest.

I was always using the side slider volume button, which always starts on the speaker volume, touching the ring volume slidebar on the screen, then using the side slider button again to change it.

Just discovered that rather than touch the screen you can use the directional to, after flicking the side slider volume button once, to do all that.

Thought I'd post it, just incase I'm not actually the last Wizard owning person on the planet, to discover that gem...

(bet I am).

• 2 weeks later...