TI OMAP overclocker released

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

omapclock.gifA member over at fellow Windows Mobile forum XDA-Developers has just linked to an application that allows overclocking of the TI OMAP processor.

The application, named 'OMAPclock', seems to have been developed originally on a Russian site with the aim of speeding up the Motorola MPx range. By happy coincidence, HTC Wizard owners have discovered that it works on their devices too, and interest in the application has increased somewhat :)

As well as the Wizard, people are reporting positive results with the HTC Prophet, although - as always - using programs of this nature may put additional stresses and strains on your device, and is to be done with extreme caution!

The original thread on the program can be found HERE at XDA-Developers, or HERE if your Russian is good! :)

Feel free to continue discussing the application in this topic, and i'm about to give it a go on my Prophet, so will report back results!

This application should run on any TI OMAP device, including Smartphones such as the C600, iMate SP5 but, again, do so at your own risk :D

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Running 240MHz on my Prophet, and woah it's faster, need to give Skype a go now :)

Might also do the memmaid tweak to reset the clock speed when coming out of suspend!

P

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

My 1 yr-old C500 is on its 21 hours underclocked state (running 108Mhz although TCPMP reports it to be 127Mhz) and I still have 86% power remaining (still on full bars). Im pretty sure my phone didn't have such performance prior to the underclocking.

snap2273rd.jpg

Latest version is 0.2 with 372Mhz as highest clock speed option.

snap2306qf.jpg

:)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@Paul

Impressive results. Got to try overclocking this time. 372Mhz, will it fry my phone? :)

@awarner

Where did you place the exe? I have it on \Storage. :D

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

From what I can recall, I restarted my phone and had it (version 0.1) working after.

I have it load on phone Startup using special LNK (v0.2) :

24#”\Storage\OmapClock.exe” -clock 108

Runs silent on background with 108Mhz clock speed. :)

Guest Phil Lee

Works on my Vario. Not been brave enough to go above 200MHz in the program (not sure what this corresponds to in actual terms). I had some trouble getting the MemMaid tweak to work, mainly because I had some problems creating the shortcut. I couldn't create it using TotalCommander or File Explorer. In the end I installed a trial copy of Resco Explorer to create the shortcut which now works OK.

Guest someone

What about the risks of overheating the processor and other electric parts with permanent damage (read a blown up phone) as a result? Are there any limitations of for example the 200 MHz Omap processor used in the HTC Typhoon / Hurricane or its WiFi variant in the HTC Tornado which sits in my Qtek 8310? As there are no ways to cool down the phone except for only using it outside during cold days like these ( :) ), I'm afraid having the phone in my pocket and heating it up by my body heat together with an overheated prcessor will cause severe damage?

Guest Paul [MVP]

I can't get the wakeup thing to work, using SKTools or MemMaid which is a bit annoying, sure I DID have it working.

The shortcut works, but when I link to it from wakeup or power on in the notify queue, no dice! :)

Bah!

P

Guest Phil Lee
I can't get the wakeup thing to work, using SKTools or MemMaid which is a bit annoying, sure I DID have it working.

The shortcut works, but when I link to it from wakeup or power on in the notify queue, no dice! :)

Bah!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul, I had problems with the notify queue. The shortcut seems to need a specific format. Here's how I got it to work on my Vario:

1. Installed OmapClock in \Program Files\OMAPClock folder

2. Created a shortcut to OmapClock.exe in the folder \Program Files\OMAPClock with the following target: "\Program Files\OMAPClock\OmapClock.exe" -clock 192

3. Created notification queue entries pointing to the shortcut.

It didn't work if the shortcut was missing the quotes and also didn't work if the shortcut name was too long (OmapClock200.lnk didn't work). The only way I could create a working shortcut was using Resco Explorer. Total Commander stripped off the first " which messed things up.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I'm there now using the excellent SKTools to run it directly with arguments... it still seems a little hit and miss tho.

Might CAB it up later...

P

My 1 yr-old C500 is on its 21 hours underclocked state (running 108Mhz although TCPMP reports it to be 127Mhz) and I still have 86% power remaining (still on full bars). Im pretty sure my phone didn't have such performance prior to the underclocking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is the phone speed in this underclocked state? Do movies still play OK in TCPMP??? Music?

Guest chucky.egg

Can I check I understand what you're doing

By attachnig this shortcut to the Notification queue you can re-set the overclocking, which otherwise does not survive a Soft Reset?

Guest Ingvarr
What about the risks of overheating the processor and other electric parts with permanent damage (read a blown up phone) as a result?

This is not the main danger.

Two possibly bad implications are:

- Electrical power consumption (wattage) increases approximately proportionally to square of frequency increase. So, even "not so big" overclocking factor can lead to significant increase of (peak) power consumption. This can be very bad, if you are not absolutely sure that it wouldnt go out of allowed battery load - each battery have maximum allowed (continuous and peak) loads. If you will put the LiIon battery under too heavy strain, it will cause irreversible processes in the battery and reduce it (already limited) capacity*lifetime. I dont think there is too much spare load left by HTC engineers, considering how battery heats with WiFi on & surfing or watching videos, so I would advise extreme caution,- you can not notice adverse effects as reduced battery life instantly (and it wouldnt blow into your face), but you will notice them in a month, and you will not be able to do anything about it.

- It have to be confirmed that this program utilizes all built in (into OMAP 850) and OS the mechanizm of adaptive frequency tuning. Without this (invisible) mechanizm, your phone would never last several days in standby mode. Most likely, as a lot of overclock program do, this one can just "lock" processor in single (max) frequency, effectively disabling the frequency tuning - this also would lead to more strain on battery and less time between needed recharge cycles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.