Cubin' Your Blues Away!

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

post-4796-1140585258_thumb.jpg

When I first bought my beautiful white i-mate JAM, I thought why, oh, why do phone manufacturers and operators RUIN the beautiful looks of phones by slapping their logos all over the place?

The JAM held the beauty of an iPod (which, by the way, is discreetly/elegantly branded). But the I-MATE on the top left and JAM on the top right, did nothing more than blemish it's good looks. I know who made it. I know why I bought it. But now that I forked over a ton of money for it...it's mine not yours! And I don't want MY name on there either!

It was soon after, that our own Paul[MVP] opened my eyes to the wonderful world of SUGARCUBES! Gritty enough to cause enough abrasion to remove the logo, but soft and forgiving enough not to scrape the color or finsh from the phone's body below it!

It is the miracle of miracles.

Now that I own an i-mate JAMin, I was wondering if the same process would remove the logos. But I was fearful. After all, the JAM was white as were the sugar cubes. But the JAMin is black. And I don't know if anyone even makes BLACK SUGARCUBES! So I waited, and waited, and waited.

Then Paul[MVP] came to the rescue once again.

In what I could only imagine as the same feeling the astronauts felt right before they first stepped foot on the moon...Paul opened up his box of 499 sugar cubes. (Original box of 500, minus one from erasing the text from his JAM). Took out a cube with one hand while holding his Dopod 818 in the other and began to gently, ever so gently, rub a corner of the cube across the letters on his phone....until they were gone, without any evidence of ever being there in the first place.

Thus, giving the green light for all (like myself) who were too scared to try.

EUREKA! It can be done! And without needing to find black sugar cubes!!!

WARNING: TAKE YOUR TIME. THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED ON THE JAM, JAMin, and DOPOD 818. (That I personally know of). YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY. DON'T USE THIS METHOD ON PLASTIC BODY PHONES. MODACO IS NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU RUIN YOUR PHONE. (NOR AM I).

1) Place a towel or paper towel on table.

2) Lay phone, face up, on paper towel.

3) Protect your screen to prevent scratching it with the sugar dust (or your watch or something)

4) Using the corner of the sugar cube, gently rub over the logos, using SMALL CIRCLES. Not too firm, not too light. You'll know when progress is being made and adjust pressure accordingly.

5) Brush excess sugar off periodically so you can see what you are doing and see your progress.

6) Don't go back and forth as the raised letters only wear the sugar cube down faster.

About 10 to 20 minutes later, you should have a clean, unbranded, logo-less, phone.

7) Carefully clean off all sugar dust to prevent scratching your screen. FINISHED!

NOTE: Be prepared for many people to now comment, "Who makes that phone anyway?"

I always thought the dopod 818 front was metal covered in one of those rubberised coatings (much like the old Psion Series 5) - is that correct?

Did the suger cube not scratch through?

Anyway, well done on being brave enough to give it a try Paul!!!!

Guest nickcornaglia

Maybe a classic for the verterans...but there are plenty of noobs on this forum and others asking if it could be done, I thought I'd make a news article out of it. Plus I had never done it on a black phone before. Sometimes when you're happy...you just need to let everyone know! :)

No shiny area to speak of...it's like the logo was never there. I'll post a pic of the corner if I get a chance.

Off-Topic but related: I remember years ago, when I had a T-Mobile MDA and the defective coating was flaking off.

I began to remove it by using acetone which was recommended at the time. The process was going too slow for me so I pulled out the dremmel with the soft cotton buffering attachment, and dipped it into the acetone.

When I turned it on, acetone sprayed into my eyes from the spinning end and when I put the tool down onto the phone, I removed the failed coating....but also managed to melt the gold/bronzish color material under that, making the phone worse looking that before I started.

I wonder if I could shape a sugar cube into a dremmel attachment??? (some people never learn) :D

Guest nickcornaglia
Don't you get a problem with ants all over your sugary phone in the morning?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not if you lick it clean when you're done! It's a phone. It's a late-night snack! :)

Guest trevormuk

Thanks m8 ... this is great.

I have ordered a JamIn ... so it is good to know the cube trick will work.

I have cubed nearly all my SPV devices, and the trick is not to apply too much pressure when rubbing the edge of the cube over the logo.

Let the tiny sugar granules do the work - don't press.

If you take your time you shold be left with a flawless finish - no scratches or shiny patches :)

Cheers

Guest pookiecheeks

post-4796-1140585258_thumb.jpg

When I first bought my beautiful white i-mate JAM, I thought why, oh, why do phone manufacturers and operators RUIN the beautiful looks of phones by slapping their logos all over the place?

The JAM held the beauty of an iPod (which, by the way, is discreetly/elegantly branded). But the I-MATE on the top left and JAM on the top right, did nothing more than blemish it's good looks. I know who made it. I know why I bought it. But now that I forked over a ton of money for it...it's mine not yours! And I don't want MY name on there either!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..hello,

are we to assume you're this anal about logos on your motor car, or your tv or other electricals you own etc ? do you sew patches over sweatshirts, t-shirts and trainers ? when drinking fizzy drinks, do you grip the can in such a way your hand covers the brand name ? sorry, i'm NOT complaining/moaning or belittling you, i'm just interested.

pookiecheeks

Guest mini_man
..hello,

are we to assume you're this anal about logos on your motor car, or your tv or other electricals you own etc ? do you sew patches over sweatshirts, t-shirts and trainers ? when drinking fizzy drinks, do you grip the can in such a way your hand covers the brand name ? sorry, i'm NOT complaining/moaning or belittling you, i'm just interested.

WOT!! You are crazy, that is such a ridiculously stupid question. encece likes his phone without the stupid labels printed all over it his phone telling him what it is.

look your new here so you dont know that its stupid to pick on classic helpful members with ridiculous statements.

motor car and a tv

there hardly tiny little pointless labels stuck on his products.

I hate it that orange has stuck a gross old orange square ontop of my nice gleamy smartphone!

how are you not

complaining/moaning or belittling
your also being stupid!

thanks encece for the guide i will try it out.

Do you think it will work on my c550

Yup, always a classic, I've done it on a silver and a black C500 without any problems...

Brody claims it works on the c500 so it must work on the c550

Guest nickcornaglia

I actually almost never buy clothes with huge logos on them advertizing the maker.

Also, I bought a 2004 Chevy Blazer that had ZR8 or something like that splashed on the side. I pulled that and all of the pin stripping off the day after I got it.

So I am very consistent! :)

Guest Pondrew

Be wary peeps. I've heard suggestions that devices like the HTC Blue Angel are damaged by this method. If it's not been suggested as safe for your device and you don't want to risk damage then don't do it. Actually, if the latter is the case then u just plain shouldn't do it.

And can we have no name calling from ANY members new or otherwise...

Guest trevormuk
WOT!! You are crazy, that is such a ridiculously stupid question. encece likes his phone without the stupid labels printed all over it his phone telling him what it is.

look your new here so you dont know that its stupid to pick on classic helpful members with ridiculous statements.

I hate it that orange has stuck a gross old orange square ontop of my nice gleamy smartphone!

how are you not  your also being stupid!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be very careful if you try to remove the logo from the C550.

The finish on the C550 is very different to the C500. There is a definate chance of going straight through the coating, and down to the base material (you then end up with a black mess!!) I ended up buying and replacing the front facia :)

Hope this helps

Guest Confucious

My O2 XDA Exec has O2 embossed on the outside - do you rekon a sugar cube would get rid of that?

And my car's so dirty you can't see the word "Porsche" splashed all across the back...

Guest pookiecheeks

how are you not  your also being stupid!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

firstly, i don't consider the network name nor the phone model logos as 'stupid'. i for one like fact people down the pub know i have an spv m2000. also, i'm proud i'm with orange. i have been with them since 1996. why would i want to cover up the fact i'm with orange ?

secondly, i wasn't picking on other members. just giving MY opinion, as others give theirs.

thirdly, it appears the person who i directed my comment at originally took MY comment in the way it was meant, pity others didn't yes ?

pookiecheeks

ps. as for your "you're new here" comment... i'll just say "ok" and smile knowingly !

Guest nickcornaglia

Whoa! Take it easy gang. It's just sugarcubes and letters. No harm done. No need for harsh comments or calling people names over it. I didnt take it badly. Let's put it behind us and enjoy our freedom to either keep a logo on our phones or the freedom to rub one off!!! :)

Guest pookiecheeks
Whoa! Take it easy gang. It's just sugarcubes and letters. No harm done. No need for harsh comments or calling people names over it. I didnt take it badly. Let's put it behind us and enjoy our freedom to either keep a logo on our phones or the freedom to rub one off!!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..sweet !

pookiecheeks

Guest TigerNet

...agree whole-heatedly...

:D

Cheers

Nick

Guest mini_man

I just think you were being sarcastic and stupid.

just giving MY opinion,
Your werent giving your opinion you were just being sarcastic

are we to assume you're this anal about logos on your motor car, or your tv or other electricals you own etc ? do you sew patches over sweatshirts, t-shirts and trainers ? when drinking fizzy drinks, do you grip the can in such a way your hand covers the brand name ?

Show me how you are giving an opinion? your asking stupid questions that to me seem that you are just trying to make him look stupid.

i for one like fact people down the pub know i have an spv m2000. also, i'm proud i'm with orange. i have been with them since 1996. why would i want to cover up the fact i'm with orange ?

Yes thats nice we realise you like these labels stuck to your phone but we havnt ordered every modaco member to get rid of the labels it was just a tip that alot of people have used because it is clever.

Yes its a shame i took it that way as well, guys i just get really annoyed when new people who have only been ten minutes make ridiculous comments when they dont even know who anyone is im not attacking you pookiecheeks im just making my point.

It is a good guide encece and i hope all the other new people and existing members appreciate it.

Guest pookiecheeks
I just think you were being sarcastic and stupid.

Your werent giving your opinion you were just being sarcastic

Show me how you are giving an opinion? your asking stupid questions that to me seem that you are just trying to make him look stupid.

Yes thats nice we realise you like these labels stuck to your phone but we havnt ordered every modaco member to get rid of the labels it was just a tip that alot of people have used because it is clever.

Yes its a shame i took it that way as well, guys i just get really annoyed when new people who have only been ten minutes make ridiculous comments when they dont even know who anyone is im not attacking you pookiecheeks im just making my point.

It is a good guide encece and i hope all the other new people and existing members appreciate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..hmm, in MY opinion i don't think i was making him look stupid... but i won't argue the case on a thread about mobile phone logos etc. to be honest, i didn't realise there were people out there offended by such things. its not as though the logos are large in size anyway... but again, that is just MY opinion.

its unfortunate that you and others took my comment out of context and then made ME look foolish... but oh well. as for saying i'm a newbie and don't know anyone on here, er... you're wrong, but i'll leave it at that.

pookiecheeks

ps. would you mind awfully if i forwarded any future comments i may wish to post to you first mini_man ? seems i need a 'proof-reader' etc !

pps. anyone else find the symbols/names on buttons annoying ? would a weetabix biscuit do the trick i'm wondering !

ppps. yes, i realise this will be my last posting... ..oh well

Guest Pondrew
ps. would you mind awfully if i forwarded any future comments i may wish to post to you first mini_man ? seems i need a 'proof-reader' etc !

pps. anyone else find the symbols/names on buttons annoying ? would a weetabix biscuit do the trick i'm wondering !

ppps. yes, i realise this will be my last posting... ..oh well

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally I found this post very amusing Pookiecheeks and have no intention of banning you. Still, flaming is against the rules and trying to wind up mini_man would be included in this (as I have to say was Mini_Man's calling pookiecheek stupid :) ) so...

...I'd ask both Mini_Man and Pookiecheeks to cease the exchange of views now.

Guest mini_man

sorry if i may seem out of order, ive been stressed with my exams and coursework and im currently really under the weather so youve not caught me at a very good stage.

i dont suppose ive made a very good impression over pookiecheeks but i am helpful and if you ever need anything in modaco just ask.

Maybe people found it amusing but I didnt, probably to do with different generations and all that so i took it differently.

Welcome to the forum and sorry

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.