MoDaCo Summer Event 2006: Hands on with the SPV C700 (HTC Breeze)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

C700.jpgC700-side.jpg

Officially unannounced, Orange chose the MoDaCo Summer Event to give the new C700 - the Orange variant of the HTC Breeze - it's first public outing!

Pictured above, the C700 will definitely ship without video calling enabled, and with no forward facing camera, a 1.3MP camera and no WiFi ;)

The device feels very solid in the hand, and quite heavy, with a great screen and a good keypad, despite the comparatively small keys.

Watch this space for a full review coming soon! :)

P

Guest Xenzo1990

Mmmm, personally I think its a pretty ugly device, especially the keypad which is far to boring. Without WiFi or Video Calling? Sheesh...

Guest jm012a9749
Mmmm, personally I think its a pretty ugly device, especially the keypad which is far to boring. Without WiFi or Video Calling? Sheesh...

am i right in thinking what is the point of this handset??? no video calling or wifi means that nobody in their right mind would change a tornado for this.... might as well just get a c600 if you want to be on orange.....

Phil

Edited by jm012a9749

Guest jm012a9749
3G data? Faster proc? AKU 2.3?

That's about it tho :)

P

The main reason most people go 3G though is for video calling, not for the data, but still a plus i guess.

Whats AKU 2.3?

Phil

Guest jm012a9749
Just the latest iteration of Windows Mobile 5 (minor fixes etc).

Nothing to get excited about!

P

bah..... does it include A2DP support?

Phil

Guest Looby

Typical! Who wants to downgrade? Another example of Big Business dictating the choice they want to give you rather than the one you want. ( ie. Breeze with 3G, video calling and WiFi) It's happening all the time. :)

Guest PolarBear

Clearly aimed as a corporate phone. Integration with exchange including always up to date , and with office document readers, Nice display and a backberry style wheel to work through your inbox. Plus, views for office documents according to HTC's web site - http://www.htceurope.com/z/pdf/content/176...oR_LFLT_INN.PDF.

What corporates don't want is people messing about with video calls - in their view 3G is for data.

Interestingly this preview http://www.mobinaute.com/mobinaute/article...=20060527112211 has the 2nd camera for video calls. The HTC web site doesn't .

Guest morpheus2702

Notice how the footprint of the Breeze is similar to that of the top screen of an opened StrTrk? Still doesn't change the fact it is one ugly phone. Did anyone at the meet raise/answer the question about why it has all the grace of a '96 Nokia?

Guest chucky.egg
The main reason most people go 3G though is for video calling, not for the data

Not for me, or anyone else I know

I have no need whatsoever for video calling, but "high speed" data would be better than GPRS

Guest Xenzo1990

Yes, as said, essentially all this device offers that the more attractive c600 does not is faster data. Not worth an upgrade. Unless 3g is crucial I would still say buy a c600, its lighter, smaller, more attractive.

However, remember when we first got 3g on 'normal phones', they were big and chunky, but they seem to have this under control now. For the first 3g WM Orange & HTC didnt do that bad. WiFi would have sold this device for me, WiFi and video calling.

Guest jm012a9749

suddenly become slightly more fond of it...... ;) although it can still be said it looks like a 96 nokia :) looks better in black then th silver variant HTC are selling imho. still a real shame they dropped the front camera and simply left out wifi :D

phil

Guest awarner (MVP)
Who would swap their MoDaCo C600 for a C700?

:)

P

Not me,

Having a collectors item or a mainsteam device? no competition.

Guest Confucious
The main reason most people go 3G though is for video calling, not for the data, but still a plus i guess.

Whats AKU 2.3?

Phil

Ha! I've had 3G phones since April 2003 and have nmade 2 video calls just to tey it out - total waste of time IMHO

But I would not have another non 3g device now (apart from my Modaco C600!) - Fast data makes all the difference - that's what 3G is all about - at least for me :)

Guest jm012a9749
Who would swap their MoDaCo C600 for a C700?

:)

P

would love to put my qtek 8310 motherboard in a modaco c600 housing then replace th keyboard drivers and circuit board ;)

modaco c600 with wifi! :D

just need a housing....... lol

phil

Guest mcwarre

Whats AKU 2.3?

Phil

Mmmm,

Personally, I thought that it was the otherway round (IMHO)...

Or is it me? Answers on a postcard

Guest jm012a9749
Mmmm,

Personally, I thought that it was the otherway round (IMHO)...

Or is it me? Answers on a postcard

Ok, its how the networks sell 3G to Joe Public.....

Phil

Guest Confucious
Ok, its how the networks sell 3G to Joe Public.....

Phil

Could be why Joe Public isn't that keen on 3G :)

Does anyone actually use video calling?

Guest jm012a9749
Could be why Joe Public isn't that keen on 3G :)

Does anyone actually use video calling?

Only one person i know has actually ever used video calling, and then only once.... said it wasn't all its cracked up to be.

Phil

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.