MoDaCo Summer Event 2006: Hands on with the SPV C100 (HTC Oxygen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

C100.jpgC100-front.jpg

Officially unannounced, Orange chose the MoDaCo Summer Event to give the new C100 - the Orange variant of the HTC Oxygen - it's first public outing!

The C100 is a budget Smartphone handset, aimed at a new market segment. The device features Windows Mobile 5 AKU 2.3, but has a display that is only 176x220 compared to the more common 320x240.

The device has the same 200MHz OMAP 850 found in the current SPV C600, and notably has no additional memory slot. Instead, it supports the new Orange technology 'SIM+', which enables special SIMs with additional storage capacity, with 512MB SIM+ cards already being in existence, and larger on the way.

The jury is definitely out on this handset - price point will be vital.

Watch this space for a full review coming soon! :)

P

Guest daglesj

I actually liked this one best (wasnt that keen on the 700). Paul knows I like day to day funtionality over total number of features (much to his bemusement) and I just thought it felt very 'usable'.

The keypad was the easiest smartphone one yet in my opinion.

I might have bought one if certain folks had not been so wonderfully generous. :)

Edited by daglesj

Guest Xenzo1990

I think if Orange are trying to pull in the 'normal people' who want a phone for a phone and music etc, then I think they can do it with this device. It looks nice, its presumably going to be fairly cheap, and presumably again on PAYG. A lot less 'business' style than the c600, and ofcourse it doesnt have the bulk of the c700.

Guest sporkguy

I wasn't sold on the whole Sim+ idea - and neither was M@ who seemed vehemently against the idea...

Anyone else notice how dark the screen was in comparison to the other Smarties on show? One assumes Orange have specced a lower-quality or indeed lower-power-consuming LCD on this one.

Guest pisquee

If cheap, I'll certainly be getting one to have as my spare, for situations where my M500 may get damaged or nicked.

Depending on how easy it is to use, and how well it performs as 'just a phone' then i may put my parents on them.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

SIM+: Store multiple numbers/email addresses/etc per contact. And for the "normal" user, allows them to quickly transfer games/ringtones/wallpapers/etc to their new phone when they update just by swapping in the new sim.

A very good idea imho, just not really aimed at users like ourselves (or WM devices, mid-low end Nokias and Samsungs really)

hmmm that doesnt make sense

"aimed for budget mind..."

um, phones are supposidly free on the contracts when you select a high tariff for say, 6 months...so you may as well get a better smartphone device than a "budget minded".......

another orange tactic

Guest awarner (MVP)

Have you considered it may be available on pay as you go?

I think you will find this on cheap tarriffs rather than a high tarriff.

High tarriffs are one reason why I could never afford to get a C600 on contract. But a C100 on a low tarriff I would probably be able to afford.

It's a good move as it gets the Smartphone format out to a different market. It is a shame they went for a cheaper low res screen but production wise I have no idea on the price difference.

The screen still looked good though.

Guest jm012a9749
Shame they went for a cheaper low res screen but production wise I have no idea on the price difference.

The screen still looked good though.

Still if you compare a 176x220 screen next to a 240x320 or even just switch from one to the other the difference is startling :)

Still if its less than

Edited by jm012a9749

Guest loki_f

Personally I think this is a really bad move on HTCs/Oranges part....

I like the look of the device... I just think that it isn't going to do the platform any favours....

Edited by loki_f

Guest peekie

Cant see why it wont do the platform any good if people buy the cheaper version and like it then they most probably will go into the higher quality , there are loads of games that still do not work on the newer models , tokitori for example plays as far as the C500 and has not been updated and i dont think it will sadly

, least if you work in a warehouse or something simular you wont have to take your expensive phone there to get damaged you can use this one , least you have most of the functions you like on it :)

Guest loki_f
Cant see why it wont do the platform any good if people buy the cheaper version and like it then they most probably will go into the higher quality , there are loads of games that still do not work on the newer models , tokitori for example plays as far as the C500 and has not been updated and i dont think it will sadly

, least if you work in a warehouse or something simular you wont have to take your expensive phone there to get damaged you can use this one , least you have most of the functions you like on it :)

All very good points but I still don't think the naviagtion on WM5 is still quite 'there' compared to the simple phones that people are usually wanting in this price range. Most people buying in the lower end of the market only want a phone that is a phone, or a phone they will hardly ever use.

I am a keen supporter of the platform and swear by it, the only time since 2002 that I have not had a MS Smartphone is when the thing has been in for repair, but most people that pick up my phone for a 'play' can't find their way around it. Until those little things are sorted out.. i.e. a couple more versions down, the platform will be very much ready for the big time.

Ultimately due to this, I think the low end phones will develop a reputation as being rubbish dragging the rest of the platform down with them.

Edited by loki_f

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.