MoDaCo Summer Event 2006: Hands on with the Samsung BlackJack

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

blackjack.jpgblackjack-front.jpgblackjack-camera.jpg

At the MoDaCo Summer event, there were a lot of suprises. Not content with showing the previously unannouced SPV C700, SPV C100, SPV F600 and SPV M3100, Orange also had on display the 'Samsung i320'. Excellent!

Except, the device that was on display, pictured above, ISN'T an i320. As the more astute MoDaCo readers will note, the i320, which has recently had it's European launch, doesn't feature 3G at all.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, the device you are looking at here is the first sight of the 'Samsung BlackJack'!

Featuring looks and specs very similar to the i320, but with the addition of a forward facing camera for video calling and full 3G capabilities, the BlackJack is a stunner. The control pad, which looks like a wheel, is actually a regular rocker (forget what other sites msmobiles tell you when they couldn't be bothered to attend the event), it's NOT a wheel like on the i300.

As you can see from the photos, this looks like a generic prototype device with an Orange sticker on it, so I wouldn't expect this out on Orange TOO soon... but when it does arrive, this is going to be one HOT device! It looks like the rumoured UMTS Motorola Q will have some competition :)

P

Guest sporkguy

It was nice to have the opportunity to photograph something that doesn't officially exist, let alone in this strange hybrid version of the model its supposed to be :)

I quite liked the feel of this one, definitely one of the better Q-beating models out there... 3G is going to make this device a killer.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Keypad will take a little time to used to unless you have small fingers but it still gets my vote, had a good feel to it.

Guest Sp00k
It was nice to have the opportunity to photograph something that doesn't officially exist... >snip

Alas, as a non-attendee, I consequently don't have an iPod-white C600, unlike some of you lucky lot! - But... if the hands-free headset matches the phone-casing colour... watch out for muggers when wearing it! :) ;)

As for your photography, Sporkguy... I have to say that the pics of the devices, tethered and against a not-so-ideal background as they were, are superb. They're well-lit, well-composed within the limitations that they were taken under and show the smallest details clearly. I consider that some of them put many carefully-positioned manufacturers promo shots to shame!

Very impressive, excellent work my friend!

Sp00k...

Guest sporkguy
Alas, as a non-attendee, I consequently don't have an iPod-white C600, unlike some of you lucky lot! - But... if the hands-free headset matches the phone-casing colour... watch out for muggers when wearing it! :) :(

As for your photography, Sporkguy... I have to say that the pics of the devices, tethered and against a not-so-ideal background as they were, are superb. They're well-lit, well-composed within the limitations that they were taken under and show the smallest details clearly. I consider that some of them put many carefully-positioned manufacturers promo shots to shame!

Very impressive, excellent work my friend!

Sp00k...

I've just come home from one of the hardest working days of my life, in this searing heat and I'd just like to say thanks for making this tired lad smile ;)

Its nice to be appreciated once in a while - and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them :D

Guest bennish

They just keep making it harder and harder for me to stick with ppc edition... so very nice (although q is more attractive, i'll grant it that)

Guest squiggs1982

:) Please! Someone must know or have a vague idea of when this might be released??

Make an old (24!) gadget freak happy! ;)

Guest gvaldivia

wow this phone looks great and i would love to get my hands on one

dose anyone know when or if this phone will be comin out in the USA?

Guest awarner (MVP)

No one knows yet, I was told that the actual device at the meet was the only one in the country and we almost did not get to see it.

Guest Laser_iCE

Holy freekin crap, sporkguy, you took all those pics? Woah, I'm impressed! I thought perhaps... Well, to be honest, I don't know what I thought, but damn man, awesome photos :) Super sharp with every little detail, it's almost like I'm holding it right now... Oh wait, that's just my K-JAM ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.