WiFi (WLAN) using SPV M3100 & Orange Livebox

Guest tilum

Hi all,

I've been visitng Modaco for several months now as a guest, but only now making my first post.

I'm not a computer expert, but I wouldn't say that I'm incompetent when it comes to computers either. Yet despite this, I just can't seem to sort my WiFi connection from my Orange SPV M3100 to my Orange Livebox. There's something not quite right here, as this should be realtively straight forward (based on the absence of any other similar posts where someone is using an Orange Livebox), please could you guys give me some advice (N.B. I'm new to the whole WiFi thing); settings are as follows:-

Orange Livebox

SSID: Tilum (originally Livebox-BCC0)

Channel number: 1

Enable Wireless LAN: ticked (i.e. on)

WEP Security Key: 7A1E0...... (26 character passkey) (obviously I ought not disclose this on this post!)

Wireless settings (under 'Advanced' tab): "WPA or WEP security" option selected

SPV M3100

WLAN (in 'Wireless' tab of 'Network Cards'): Either says "Unavailable", "Available", or "Connecting"

'Network Adaptors' tab of 'Network Cards': My network card connects to The Internet

When selecting 'Tilum' WLAN (from the 'Wireless' tab of 'Network Cards') the following settings are entered/selected:-

'General' tab: Network name Tilum; Connects to The Internet

'Network Key' tab: Authentication WPA-PSK; Data Encryption TKIP; Network Key same as WEP Security Key in Orange Livebox settings above

'802.1x' tab: Unable to alter settings from the default i.e. Use IEEE 802.1x network access control selected and EAP type is Smart Card or Certificate

1) I press the number '1' button on the Orange Livebox to put the Livebox into pairing mode and the WiFi LED changes from a constant red light to a flashing red light (i.e. Pairing Mode is active).

2) I ensure that SPV M3100 has WiFi switched on

3) I go to 'Network Cards' (via Start>Settings). Several WLANs appear in the list as "Available" (including mine, which has a full strength signal, and is a secured network).

4) Try to connect to Tilum WLAN by selecting Tilum from the list and selcting 'Connect' from the drop down menu

5) It then says "Connecting", but after a few seconds just changse back to say "Available"

6) It then (sometimes) tries to connect to a different WLAN

I did manage to (somehow) pair my devices at one point; but I didn't receive any messages indicating so (on either the Livebox, the M3100, or my PC (which is hooked up to the Livebox using the Ethernet cable)). The only way I discovered this was by noticing that my M3100 MAC appeared in the Livebox 'Associated Devices' section. But as I was unable to connect to my Tilum netork, I removed the device from the Associated Devices list in order to try and start all over again.

I've tried to remove all the other available WLANs from the list to leave Tilum, but it still doesn't want to connect.

I've tried different Channel numbers in the Livebox settings, but when I then try to connect to the Tilum netowork instead of it saying "Connecting" and then returning to "Available" after a few seconds, it changes to "Unavailable".

Any ideas?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,

Tilum

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wblotting

Hi, I have a similar problem with my livebox. Have you found a solution yet because i am stuck?

Cheers

Al

Hi all,

I've been visitng Modaco for several months now as a guest, but only now making my first post.

I'm not a computer expert, but I wouldn't say that I'm incompetent when it comes to computers either. Yet despite this, I just can't seem to sort my WiFi connection from my Orange SPV M3100 to my Orange Livebox. There's something not quite right here, as this should be realtively straight forward (based on the absence of any other similar posts where someone is using an Orange Livebox), please could you guys give me some advice (N.B. I'm new to the whole WiFi thing); settings are as follows:-

Orange Livebox

SSID: Tilum (originally Livebox-BCC0)

Channel number: 1

Enable Wireless LAN: ticked (i.e. on)

WEP Security Key: 7A1E0...... (26 character passkey) (obviously I ought not disclose this on this post!)

SPV M3100

WLAN (in 'Wireless' tab of 'Network Cards'): Either says "Unavailable", "Available", or "Connecting"

'Network Adaptors' tab of 'Network Cards': My network card connects to The Internet

When selecting 'Tilum' WLAN (from the 'Wireless' tab of 'Network Cards') the following settings are entered/selected:-

'General' tab: Network name Tilum; Connects to The Internet

'Network Key' tab: Authentication WPA-PSK; Data Encryption TKIP; Network Key same as WEP Security Key in Orange Livebox settings above

'802.1x' tab: Unable to alter settings from the default i.e. Use IEEE 802.1x network access control selected and EAP type is Smart Card or Certificate

1) I press the number '1' button on the Orange Livebox to put the Livebox into pairing mode and the WiFi LED changes from a constant red light to a flashing red light (i.e. Pairing Mode is active).

2) I ensure that SPV M3100 has WiFi switched on

3) I go to 'Network Cards' (via Start>Settings). Several WLANs appear in the list as "Available" (including mine, which has a full strength signal, and is a secured network).

4) Try to connect to Tilum WLAN by selecting Tilum from the list and selcting 'Connect' from the drop down menu

5) It then says "Connecting", but after a few seconds just changse back to say "Available"

6) It then (sometimes) tries to connect to a different WLAN

I did manage to (somehow) pair my devices at one point; but I didn't receive any messages indicating so (on either the Livebox, the M3100, or my PC (which is hooked up to the Livebox using the Ethernet cable)). The only way I discovered this was by noticing that my M3100 MAC appeared in the Livebox 'Associated Devices' section. But as I was unable to connect to my Tilum netork, I removed the device from the Associated Devices list in order to try and start all over again.

I've tried to remove all the other available WLANs from the list to leave Tilum, but it still doesn't want to connect.

I've tried different Channel numbers in the Livebox settings, but when I then try to connect to the Tilum netowork instead of it saying "Connecting" and then returning to "Available" after a few seconds, it changes to "Unavailable".

Any ideas?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,

Tilum

The first thing that jumps out is that you say that you have a 26 charachter WEP key but you are using WPA-TKIP on the phone. Might be just a typo but if not that will be your problem.

There is a little button at the bottom of LiveBox. I dont remember the english name of it BUT ... you have to push it once to set LiveBox in REGISTER mode. Its opposite to the RESET button on the other side of your LINE socket. Your wireless LED (it is for both Bluetooth and WiFi) will pulse-flash for 10-20 seconds. Only during this time you can pair successfully PDA / laptop with LiveBox.

I dont understand! I have set three clients up with Orange's Liveboxes. None of them needed pairing. Have they added a default macfilter to recent ones?

With all of my clients, all you had to do was turn wifi on on the device or laptop and then enter the key.

Unless you guys have a different livebox, try removing the settings from the device and then turning wifi back on. It should then pop up on the today screen asking if you want to connect - enter the key and away you go.

The other trick that works with just about every wireless router is to pull the power lead out for ten seconds and then plug it back in.

All,

I meant to reply to my initial post with the solution to my problems sooner but have unfortunately been very busy and as such had not got round to doing it.

wblotting

My problem wasn't as easy to resolve as you might think. Please read on and hopefully it will solve your WLAN problem to.

Dr Who

Trust me I tried all sorts, including every single Authentication type i.e. Open, Shared, WPA, and WPA-SPK but still nothing worked! Thanks for your thoughts though.

mrnikt

"There is a little button at the bottom of LiveBox. I dont remember the english name of it BUT ... you have to push it once to set LiveBox in REGISTER mode. Its opposite to the RESET button on the other side of your LINE socket. Your wireless LED (it is for both Bluetooth and WiFi) will pulse-flash for 10-20 seconds. Only during this time you can pair successfully PDA / laptop with LiveBox."

The button on the Livebox you refer to is the button I was pressing to go into pairing mode, "1) I press the number '1' button on the Orange Livebox to put the Livebox into pairing mode and the WiFi LED changes from a constant red light to a flashing red light (i.e. Pairing Mode is active)."

I did actually manage to pair the devices, I just couldn't connect them!

jimbouk

I tried removing the settings from the Livebox and my device and started the pairing and connecting process that many times I lost count. I did get the message on my Today screen asking me to connect to my network, but when it tried to connect (by entering the WEP Security Key) it would accept the security code, but just not connect! P.S. I also tried removing the power suppply for greater than 30 seconds, but that didn't work either!

THE SOLUTION...

To all of those that have replied, thanks for your comments (hopefully these may well help someone with a similar WLAN problem), but the soultion to my problem came thanks to a guy in the Orange Wireless Help team (sorry I can't remember his name, but if you're reading this then you should know who you are!)....

1) Go into the 'Network Adaptors' tab using Start>Settings>'Connections' tab>Network Cards.

2) Ensure that 'The Internet' is selected in the "My network card connects to:" drop-down list.

3) Select the WiFi card from the hardware list below i.e. select "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible WiFi Ad..."

4) If your screen looks something like the picture below (i.e. contains letters as well as numbers in the IP address box) then this is where the problem lies!!!

post-205163-1158602967_thumb.jpg

Basically, either the device or the Livebox (not sure which) is not automatically assigning a correct IP address. To get round this you have to manually give the device a valid IP address to your network. Don't worry, you don't have to do this each time you want to connect, once you have done it once and it connects to your network, you can go back to using the the "Use server-assigned IP address" option, and it should then connect without any problems.

5) If you're using an Orange Livebox, then ensure that "WEP security only" is selected in the Configuration>Advanced>Wireless section of your Livebox. Presumably selecting the "WPA or WEP security" option would work as well, but I just followed the Orange guy's instructions.

6a) When in the WiFi card settings page (in the picture above), select 'Use specific IP address' option.

6b) Enter the following IP address 192.168.1.201. If you already have a wireless device e.g. PDA/laptop connected to your network, then you may well have to give your pocket PC a different IP address e.g. 192.168.1.202. Once you've entered the IP address the 'Subnet mask' field should then automatically be entered by the device. In the 'Default gateway' field type 192.168.1.1

6c) Now go to the 'Name Servers' tab and enter 192.168.1.1 You can igonre the rest of the fields in this tab.

6d) Press 'ok' and you should now get a message saying "The new settings will be applied the next time the adaptor is used...." Press 'ok' to get rid of the message.

7) Switch the WiFi receiver on your device on (using Comm Manager)

8) Now remove any previous settings you have assigned to your Network by pressing down on the name of your network in the 'Configure Wireless Networks' list (Start>Settings>'Connections' tab>Network Cards>'Wirelss' tab), and select "Remove Settings".

9) Now press the number '1' button on the Orange Livebox to put the Livebox into pairing mode (the WiFi LED on the Livebox changes from a constant red light to a flashing red light (i.e. Pairing Mode is active).

10) Now select your network from the list on your Pocket PC in order to alter the settings of your network connection on your Pocket PC:-

- Ensure "Connects to:" 'The Internet' is selected from the drop-down list.

- Go to the 'Network Key' tab (see picture below) and select "Authentication:" 'Open' from the drop-down list.

- Change "Data Encryption:" to 'WEP' from the drop-down list (if not already selected).

- Deselect the "The key is automatically provided" tick box and enter your 26 character WEP Security Key. N.B. depsite what you may be told in the Orange literature, this Security Key is NOT case sensitive.

post-205163-1158606772_thumb.jpg

- Now go to the '802.1x' tab, and ensure that the "Use IEEE 8-2.1x netowrk access control" is NOT selected.

- Now press 'ok' and you should return to the 'Configure Wireless Networks' screen.

11) Ensuring that you Livebox is still in Pairing mode (red wireless LED on Livebox is flashing, if not, re-perform step 9 (above)). If it is, then press down on the name of your network in the 'Configure Wireless Networks' list and select "Connect"... with a bit of luck your device should now FINALLY connect to your network!!!!!

Well that was a bal-ache to write! Hope it sorts out your problem wblotting. Let us know if it does/doesn't. If not, then drop usa a line and I'll try and talk you through it.

P.S. If that has worked, perform a soft reset of your Pocket PC and try and connect to your network again (you shouldn't need to enter the network key again). If it does connect, then select the "Use server-assigned IP address" option in the "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible WiFi Ad..." settings and do a soft reset of your Pocket PC and trya and connect again, if that works, then heh presto!!!

Regards,

Tilum

Edited by tilum

PLEASE NOT THE FOLLOWING IF YOU ASSIGN STATIC IP FOR YOUR LIVE BOX ! - YOU MAY THEN GET INTERNET DELAYS WHEN USING 3G/HS or GPRS!

Stuck on "Locating ..." in Internet Explorer ?

Web pages taking 1-2 minutes to resolve before being displayed ?

SOLUTION:

There is a BUG with Windows Mobile 5. If you have WIFI configured for STATIC IP ADDRESS and STATIC DNS SEVERS, then the above problem will happen !

In CONNECTIONS, NETWORK CARDS, NETWORK ADAPTERS, choose your wireless network interface eg. "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wifi Adapter" and ensure the following:

IP ADDRESS TAB:

USE SERVER-ASSIGNED IP ADDRESS (selected)

NAME SERVERS TAB:

Leave all values blank so that automatic DNS/WINS is implemented.

Try it for yourself - If you have this issue particularly on Orange (and you had tried putting DNS server addresses on the 3G connection). It will fix it. Not great I know if you want fixed static IP Addresses at home or work. At home if my server is off I like the client to be able to still use the router. I suppose I may have to consider switching DHCP on the router rather than the server again :(

Also delete the Orange WAP or Orange GPRS - Even Orange are advising this and to go through Orange World or sometimes named as Orange Internet.

The WAP proxy server will work whethe configured or not on Orange World. The WAP proxy server (the only proxy server that is is set by default on new phones) is:

192.168.71.35 Port 9201

The Orange DNS Servers (faster resolution on initial connection if hard coded into DNS settings on 3G connection) on the Orange Internet connection (or Orange World):

With other networks such as T-Mobile the level 3 servers of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 maybe faster, but Orange DNS servers are fast enough.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest phil-w

To Tilum....

Just followed your advice with my new M3100 and heypresto.. I can now connect and work through the livebox.

Many thanks...

By the way, does your livebox have the extra USB and Ethernet ports on it... ??

Thanks Phil

Have just stumbled across Modaco in desparation when trying to get some of the M3100 features to work - like WiFi. Grateful thanks to Tilum, Brilliant! - WiFi on the M3100 at last.

• 1 month later...

Just found this site by accident and must say a huge thank you to tilium for the instructions regarding setting up pocket pc with orange livebox. I have spent so much time trying to solve the problem......but success!

I only have one problem, i have got a connection but every time i log on to web page i keep getting the message "this page cannot be found. Check the name and try again" regardless of the fact i have correct address. Any ideas? many many thanks :)

Just found this site by accident and must say a huge thank you to tilium for the instructions regarding setting up pocket pc with orange livebox. I have spent so much time trying to solve the problem......but success!

I only have one problem, i have got a connection but every time i log on to web page i keep getting the message "this page cannot be found. Check the name and try again" regardless of the fact i have correct address. Any ideas? many many thanks :)

further to my last post.......have now been able to retrieve sites, use msn etc! a huge thank you to tilum I am eternally gratefull! Thanks also to this site which I stumbled upon accidently!

Guest jonhitch

Thank you so much all for posting this information. Have spent a few hours in the past trying to sort this out and had all but given up. I will try and set this up when I next get a chance - apologies in advance if I come back with some questions though!

Have any of you connected up other laptops too (without installing the Wanadoo/Orange software)? If so was it relatively straight forward?

• 1 month later...
Guest steveandtina
All,

I meant to reply to my initial post with the solution to my problems sooner but have unfortunately been very busy and as such had not got round to doing it.

wblotting

My problem wasn't as easy to resolve as you might think. Please read on and hopefully it will solve your WLAN problem to.

Dr Who

Trust me I tried all sorts, including every single Authentication type i.e. Open, Shared, WPA, and WPA-SPK but still nothing worked! Thanks for your thoughts though.

mrnikt

"There is a little button at the bottom of LiveBox. I dont remember the english name of it BUT ... you have to push it once to set LiveBox in REGISTER mode. Its opposite to the RESET button on the other side of your LINE socket. Your wireless LED (it is for both Bluetooth and WiFi) will pulse-flash for 10-20 seconds. Only during this time you can pair successfully PDA / laptop with LiveBox."

The button on the Livebox you refer to is the button I was pressing to go into pairing mode, "1) I press the number '1' button on the Orange Livebox to put the Livebox into pairing mode and the WiFi LED changes from a constant red light to a flashing red light (i.e. Pairing Mode is active)."

I did actually manage to pair the devices, I just couldn't connect them!

jimbouk

I tried removing the settings from the Livebox and my device and started the pairing and connecting process that many times I lost count. I did get the message on my Today screen asking me to connect to my network, but when it tried to connect (by entering the WEP Security Key) it would accept the security code, but just not connect! P.S. I also tried removing the power suppply for greater than 30 seconds, but that didn't work either!

THE SOLUTION...

To all of those that have replied, thanks for your comments (hopefully these may well help someone with a similar WLAN problem), but the soultion to my problem came thanks to a guy in the Orange Wireless Help team (sorry I can't remember his name, but if you're reading this then you should know who you are!)....

1) Go into the 'Network Adaptors' tab using Start>Settings>'Connections' tab>Network Cards.

2) Ensure that 'The Internet' is selected in the "My network card connects to:" drop-down list.

3) Select the WiFi card from the hardware list below i.e. select "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible WiFi Ad..."

4) If your screen looks something like the picture below (i.e. contains letters as well as numbers in the IP address box) then this is where the problem lies!!!

post-205163-1158602967_thumb.jpg

Basically, either the device or the Livebox (not sure which) is not automatically assigning a correct IP address. To get round this you have to manually give the device a valid IP address to your network. Don't worry, you don't have to do this each time you want to connect, once you have done it once and it connects to your network, you can go back to using the the "Use server-assigned IP address" option, and it should then connect without any problems.

5) If you're using an Orange Livebox, then ensure that "WEP security only" is selected in the Configuration>Advanced>Wireless section of your Livebox. Presumably selecting the "WPA or WEP security" option would work as well, but I just followed the Orange guy's instructions.

6a) When in the WiFi card settings page (in the picture above), select 'Use specific IP address' option.

6b) Enter the following IP address 192.168.1.201. If you already have a wireless device e.g. PDA/laptop connected to your network, then you may well have to give your pocket PC a different IP address e.g. 192.168.1.202. Once you've entered the IP address the 'Subnet mask' field should then automatically be entered by the device. In the 'Default gateway' field type 192.168.1.1

6c) Now go to the 'Name Servers' tab and enter 192.168.1.1 You can igonre the rest of the fields in this tab.

6d) Press 'ok' and you should now get a message saying "The new settings will be applied the next time the adaptor is used...." Press 'ok' to get rid of the message.

7) Switch the WiFi receiver on your device on (using Comm Manager)

8) Now remove any previous settings you have assigned to your Network by pressing down on the name of your network in the 'Configure Wireless Networks' list (Start>Settings>'Connections' tab>Network Cards>'Wirelss' tab), and select "Remove Settings".

9) Now press the number '1' button on the Orange Livebox to put the Livebox into pairing mode (the WiFi LED on the Livebox changes from a constant red light to a flashing red light (i.e. Pairing Mode is active).

10) Now select your network from the list on your Pocket PC in order to alter the settings of your network connection on your Pocket PC:-

- Ensure "Connects to:" 'The Internet' is selected from the drop-down list.

- Go to the 'Network Key' tab (see picture below) and select "Authentication:" 'Open' from the drop-down list.

- Change "Data Encryption:" to 'WEP' from the drop-down list (if not already selected).

- Deselect the "The key is automatically provided" tick box and enter your 26 character WEP Security Key. N.B. depsite what you may be told in the Orange literature, this Security Key is NOT case sensitive.

post-205163-1158606772_thumb.jpg

- Now go to the '802.1x' tab, and ensure that the "Use IEEE 8-2.1x netowrk access control" is NOT selected.

- Now press 'ok' and you should return to the 'Configure Wireless Networks' screen.

11) Ensuring that you Livebox is still in Pairing mode (red wireless LED on Livebox is flashing, if not, re-perform step 9 (above)). If it is, then press down on the name of your network in the 'Configure Wireless Networks' list and select "Connect"... with a bit of luck your device should now FINALLY connect to your network!!!!!

Well that was a bal-ache to write! Hope it sorts out your problem wblotting. Let us know if it does/doesn't. If not, then drop usa a line and I'll try and talk you through it.

P.S. If that has worked, perform a soft reset of your Pocket PC and try and connect to your network again (you shouldn't need to enter the network key again). If it does connect, then select the "Use server-assigned IP address" option in the "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible WiFi Ad..." settings and do a soft reset of your Pocket PC and trya and connect again, if that works, then heh presto!!!

Regards,

Tilum

Guest steveandtina

In reply to the above and i quote

6c) Now go to the 'Name Servers' tab and enter 192.168.1.1 You can igonre the rest of the fields in this tab

This seems to be working up untill we get to once i enter the IP address the subnet mask field should automatically be entered by device (MINE DOESN'T ) nothing is ever easy should I leave this blank Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! patience is running thin

Hi 'steveandtina'

Hopefully this response will be of some help...

In reply to the above and i quote

6c) Now go to the 'Name Servers' tab and enter 192.168.1.1 You can igonre the rest of the fields in this tab

This seems to be working up untill we get to once i enter the IP address the subnet mask field should automatically be entered by device (MINE DOESN'T ) nothing is ever easy should I leave this blank Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! patience is running thin

Not sure if you've continued playing and managed to resolve the issue, but I have just tried stage 6(a-c) again and it works fine. I've got a few suggestions (which may be stating the obvious, but then again you may not have tried them), so hopefully these may help:-

Ensure that you enter the IP address correctly (e.g. 192.168.1.201). Please note that you don't have to enter any full-stops (.), just enter the numbers in the correct portions of the box (which has full stops already included). It should look like the following...

post-205163-1168392701_thumb.jpg

Furthermore, item 6b in my post is a bit misleading, as at this point the 'Subnet mask' field remains empty. In order for your device to automatically enter a 'Subnet mask' number, you have to click anywhere in the 'Subnet mask' box. You should then have something like the following...

post-205163-1168392892_thumb.jpg

If this has worked then proceed with the step-by-step instructions by entering 192.168.1.1 in the 'Default gateway' field (N.B. As with the IP address, you do not need to add the full-stops, just the numbers in the correct portions of the 'Default gateway' box).

Hopefully that should have solved your problem. If it hasn't then send me a personnel message and I will make telephone contact with you to try and talk you through the process.

By the way, please let me know if this works, and what exactly the problem was so that I can adjust my post dated 18th September accordingly.

Regards,

Tilum

If you change the settings in the Livebox to WEP Only, instead of WEP or WPA as mentioned above, you will not get the issue, and you don't need to mess about adding a static IP.

If you add a static IP, it will only work at home, you will have to mess with the settings every time you want to use WiFi elsewhere.

The problem is caused by the WEP/WPA thing. Why on earth Orange can't get Invetel to give us true WPA as well as WEP is beyond me.

If you change the settings in the Livebox to WEP Only, instead of WEP or WPA as mentioned above, you will not get the issue, and you don't need to mess about adding a static IP.

If you add a static IP, it will only work at home, you will have to mess with the settings every time you want to use WiFi elsewhere.

The problem is caused by the WEP/WPA thing. Why on earth Orange can't get Invetel to give us true WPA as well as WEP is beyond me.

Hi 'AlanJC',

Thanks for your comments, but believe me I tried using 'WEP security only' in the Livebox Configuration Settings (see below) in conjunction with the PDA/Pocket PC 'Use server-assigned IP address' option and it didn't work (nor did it work with any of the options in the list below (including 'No security'!)).

post-205163-1168461141_thumb.jpg

It wasn't until I manually assigned an IP address (using the instructions in my post above) and got it to successfully connect to my network before I could then change it back to 'Use server-assigned IP address' and get it to reconnect successfully (without having to manually assign the IP address each time).

Regards,

Tilum

Hey

I too came across this web site thru Google after trying for a good few hours in vain trying to connect to my Livebox and must admit it was useful as i actually managed to connect to the Internet through the Livebox using my SPV M3100 but after a few moments the connection dropped and its back to trying to reconnect.

Has anyone else had this promblem as well and what have u done to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

All very bizarre.

On my LiveBox I have connected an HTC Universal, HTC Wizard, HTC Alpine, HTC Blueangel, and 2 laptops.

The only problem I had was solved by changing from WPA or WEP to WEP Only.

Never had those problems on my Belkin router though.

Guest pd.ryder

I've been having trouble too and being a noob to wi-fi, its all damned confusing :D

I visited my friend last night who has an unsecured router in his very large house. Ha-ha, I thought, lets give it a go! I turned on wi-fi on my Vario II and waited. Eventually, I got the pop-up asking me if I wanted to connect. Ooo - yes please, I thought and clicked the link. All was well with t'interweb, although I was unable to send/receive email through the account I'd set up on the VII, which I thought was odd.

Anyway, a visit to the pub and a couple of pints later, we returned to his house and I fired up the wi-fi again. Every time I opened Pocket IE, it insisted on firing up the 3G connection despite being connected to the wi-fi router (icon showing on taskbar and plenty of signal showing in the wi-fi bit). I just can't understand it :D

I fiddled and mooched about in the settings a bit without actually changing anything and eventually it worked again - internet access without using 3G.

Right then - 2 (err, 3) questions:

1. Why would it connect the first time and then insist on using 3G the next?

2. Why can't I send/receive email through the account I set up? (Well it received but wouldn't send - so I guess that's down to having smtp.t-email.co.uk set up and I wasn't connecting over T-Mobile..), so I guess that brings me to...

3. How can I set it up to send/receive my Tiscali POP3 email without having to change smtp settings every time I connect through a different router/server?

:) Technology, eh?

Guest hovering_yogi
Right then - 2 (err, 3) questions:

1. Why would it connect the first time and then insist on using 3G the next?

2. Why can't I send/receive email through the account I set up? (Well it received but wouldn't send - so I guess that's down to having smtp.t-email.co.uk set up and I wasn't connecting over T-Mobile..), so I guess that brings me to...

3. How can I set it up to send/receive my Tiscali POP3 email without having to change smtp settings every time I connect through a different router/server?

:) Technology, eh?

OK lets have a go at some of these although I'm still new so apologies if the answers are rubbish...

1. This seems to be a general issue - I've changed my settings so that connections to both external internet and private addresses are via "My Work Network" to stop risks of GPRS connections uneccesarily - of course if I have no wi-fi that means if i want to access the net i have to change it back manually :-(

2. Sending mail rarely works for pop3 accounts unless you are connected to the providers network, smtp receive often works (except for hotmail which stopped it a couple of years ago) whatever network you're on.

3. unlikely you will get send to work as point 2. you should try your orange email when mobile and your tiscali one when at home on wi-fi.

I also have issues but will post them separately...

Guest hovering_yogi

OK - I don't have a livebox but had similar issues - in the end it turns out that WM5 really doesnt like WPA encryption so had to go back to WEP and all works fine at 64 bit too not 128 bit which just didnt want to play.

Having done that and now able to browse at home quite happily (and in free hotspots elsewhere) then it was time to move on to work (where i want to be able to have mobile email which i'm using mnotes for)

Now I can connect quite happily to the router, ping other devices on the network and ping the phone but on the network connections option it just shows as "connecting to network."

I've set the proxy server with the right logon and tried it without a proxy requirement - but it won't even get a proper connection and show the signal bar even though the ip is assigned and is clearly responding to pings (tested until power off and on to make sure its not another device with same ip).

Anyone had any similar issues with corporate networks?

Guest kernow999

Hi,

I like many others have been struggling to connect gadgets wirelessly.

I have followed the instructions. When I changed to 'WEP security only' I lost my wireless connection completely. Had to revert back to WEP and WAP (whatever they mean! Novice here!). I am trying to connect an Xda 11s pda. It pairs up nicely, recognising the Livebox but will not go online. I get an error message 'unable to connect: You have no modem entries created, and no network card present' although under connections the Wireless LAN is on and 'connected to Network'.

The Network Card connects to bit keeps defaulting to 'Work' although I keep changing it to 'Internet'.

Could it be a firewall problem on my pc??

Thanks