Off Topic: The iPhone is official!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Off Topic alert... but I know we're all gonna be talking about... the Apple iPhone is now official!

Announced by Steve Jobs at Macworld, the iPhone does have some impressive looking features, and gives other phone companies some work to do before the device's launch in June :)

The full deets on the announcement can be found here at engadget, and i've posted a summary of the key points tomorrow!

You can also check out the pics below (again courtesy of engadget), the official iPhone page at Apple, and the iPhone community at http://iPhone.MoDaCo.com... the place for iPhone related conversation on MoDaCo.

So.. the deets! Official Tech Specs

• Screen size: 3.5 inches
  • Screen resolution: 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
  • Input method: Multi-touch
  • Operating system: OS X
  • Storage: 4GB or 8GB
  • Radio: GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900) + EDGE
  • Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + Bluetooth 2.0
  • Camera: 2.0 megapixels
  • Battery: Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing, up to 16 hours Audio playback
  • Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
  • Weight: 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

Big screen with a non 16:9 res, the multi touch implementation should be interesting, although it flies in the face of one handedness many people like with their phones. OS X operating system suggests a Unix base, will be interesting to see if it is REALLY OSX. 4GB or 8GB storage will be flash (not HDD) based. Omission of 3G is interesting, and a definite negative for a European launch. WiFi is good to see but a battery sucker, 2.0 MP camera is adequate rather than outstanding, hopefully the quality is OK. Battery life is my main concern... will it last a full working day? Finally, it's thin, if not light.

Other information (courtesy of Engadget)...

• Syncs via iTunes
    • Accelerometer built in
    • Proximity sensor turns off touchscreen when up to your face
    • No Stylus
    • 'Ignores unintended touches'
    • Launching in June on Cingular USA
    • Launching in Europe Q4 2007
    • Launching in Asia 2008
    • $599 for 8GB model on 2 year contract, $499 for 4GB
    • Safari browser
    • HTML email via POP3 or IMAP
    • Partner with Yahoo for 'Push IMAP'
    • Partner with Google for content (Google Maps etc)
    • Auto detects WiFi and connects
    • Only one hardware button (power?)
    • My thoughts on the above...

iTunes, ugh... the thought of doing Contacts / Calendar and the phone stuff via it scares me too. Accelerometer built in is interesting, could have some useful applications. Turning off of touchscreen when up to your face makes sense on this device. US / Europe / Asia launch is as expected, pricing is high for a 2 Year contract. Safari browser shows good rendering in pics, could this finally make MS improve PIE? HTML email should be in Crossbow by iPhone launch, free email is interesting but 'Push IMAP'? Not sure about that. Google partnerships will spring up on a whole bunch of mobile devices in 2007. Auto detecting and using WiFi sounds like a battery sucker but nice if it works, lack of physical hardware buttons could concern people re: tactile feedback.

Phew... that's a quick whirlwind tour of the iPhone info so far... Check out http://iPhone.MoDaCo.com for all the discussion!

P

iphone.gif

Guest Socrates

It's very cool looking.

I have more questions than answers though.

I mean is it a FULL version of OSX as in will you be able to throw MS Office for Mac in there?

Will you be able to replace the integrated "ipod" functions with a more compatible, less restrictive media player?

Is it going to be able to sync ota with Exchange? Will it be able to sync email without a desktop client. I notice the pictures on endgadget show free YAHOO push email, but I don't like Yahoo, and won't use Yahoo. IF it can't do Exchange ota sync, then it is going to have a hard time getting in the door at a lot of small businesses.

It sure LOOKS good, but then so do iPods and Macintosh computers, and I don't own even one of those because I make my purchasing decisions on substance, compatability, pricing, and a hundred other things. Looks matter, but other things matter more.

However, having more questions, etc. The thing is this news is GREAT for all phoen consumers. Apple WILL be selling a ton of these. They have too many fanboys with money for this NOT to be a huge success. This is going to FORCE Microsoft, Symbian, Motorolla, HTC, et al to get there crap together and start REALLY innovating both looks and funcrtion rather than just repackaging the same old stuff over and over again like they've been doing for the last few years.

And I agree with Paul. One handed operation is a MUST, and while the new touchscreen SOUNDS innovative, I'll believe it's easy to use when I see it.

Edited by Socrates

Guest The Doctor

WANT ONE! :)

I'm now seriously torn about my next device, the lastest MDA offerings from tmobile? Or an Apple iPhone with my existing Flext 35 + WnW plan?

Maybe I'll keep the Vario II for high speed data etc, but have the iPhone for music, video's etc :D

The OS on it looks just as slick as OS X on the desktop/notebook Mac's, looks as though it works in pretty much the same way, which is a good thing :D

Phil

[EDIT: In response to socrates post above, it will push up the bar when it comes to design and innovation from other manufacturers. Other things do matter more than looks, that is WHY i bought my Mac. For me, OS X just works seamlessly. The style is an added bonus. It will probably ship with an exchange emulator or some such to be TRUELY successful in terms of buisiness.]

Edited by The Doctor

Guest jchamier

Perhaps its not 3G because Apple don't want to pay the Qualcomm royalties. Kinda like the Chinese rejecting WCDMA. More interesting there is no mention of any of the CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint). This will really help Cingular keep the largest network slot, if sales predictions come true.

I'm wondering about the Yahoo push mail integration, sounds a bit limited, wonder if you'd be able to have your own domain name with this, or be stuck with yahoo's.

Guest Paul (MVP)

FULL OSX - I'll eat my hat if it is.... I really doubt it.

Change the media player - depends how open it is.

Sync OTA with Exchange? Unlikely, Apple AFAIK haven't licenced Activesync, and probably won't. You'll have to do IMAP for mail, Contacts + Calendar who knows - a deal breaker for me.

I think the best thing about the iPhone is it'll make everyone else raise their game :)

P

Guest Socrates

BTW, MS can easily respond to this thing.

The Oqo model 2 is already coming out and it's a nearly palm sized device running a full version of Vista. It has a giant touch screen AND A Qwert keyboard.

All they have to do is add a phone application, make a slightly smaller version, and they're there.

Take a look at the Oqo:

http://www.oqo.com/

Check the video.

Edited by Socrates

Guest mike-oh

HTC and Micro$oft must be filling their pants having seen this! Correct me if i'm wrong, but this seems light years ahead of anything they've got in the pipeline.

Shame TomTom won't work on it though :) (for now at least)

Guest Socrates
HTC and Micro$oft must be filling their pants having seen this! Correct me if i'm wrong, but this seems light years ahead of anything they've got in the pipeline.

In looks or functionality?

Remains to be seen on #2. Looks are great, but function really actually does matter. Especially at $500 to start.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Shame TomTom won't work on it though :) (for now at least)

What does it offer that MS can't? I don't necessarily mean today's devices, I mean tomorrows.

And don't forget, it's missing a whole bunch of stuff that I wouldn't give up from my Windows Mobile device.

P

Guest mike-oh

I did ask to be corrected :)

To which of tomorrows devices are you reffering? The one's i'm aware of are the same gubbins as present, repackaged with a changed processor and tweaked memory specs, all the size of a house brick!

The only serious downside i can see is a lack of 3G, not for video calls (not something i use, ever) but for quick mobile data. That's about it for me!

Edited by mike-oh

Guest wirefree90

I wait with interest to see if this device actually comes to a network near 'you' anytime soon..

With the famed unreliabilty of the iPod and Apples views on co-branding (do they don't they?) I can't see any Operators jumping up and down with glee.

The mobile market is very different to the MAC/PC/mp3 player, routes to market are different customer support is different.

Should be an interesting few months.

Guest The Doctor
Don't see any Cingular branding on the device... wonder who will partner with them in the UK?

P

Whoever puts their network branding on this beautiful device deserves to be shot at dawn :) Imagine a huge ORANGE sqaure on it... ergh!

Phil

Guest mikeeey

ive never liked apple tho. none of their stuff is user friendly or compatible with anything.

and since this isnt windows mobile, and the screen size, its obiously not gonna be compitable with anything here on modaco or any mobile app or game, unless its made specially for the Iphone.

i myself am gonna stick to windows phones and nothing else.

Guest pookiecheeks

hello all,

..lol, as with ALL apple products, they do it THEIR way. to say it isn't user friendly, be compatible with anything or just won't work is obviously incorrect. although it looks very nice, i'm not sure i'd want one ? i'm too used to my pocket pc. saying that, i'm pro apple and i hope this little gem is a success.

pooks

ps. i still prefer macuser's mockup 'iphone', now that IS sexy !

Edited by pookiecheeks

Guest pookiecheeks
BTW, MS can easily respond to this thing.

The Oqo model 2 is already coming out and it's a nearly palm sized device running a full version of Vista. It has a giant touch screen AND A Qwert keyboard.

All they have to do is add a phone application, make a slightly smaller version, and they're there.

Take a look at the Oqo:

http://www.oqo.com/

Check the video.

hello all,

..er, surely the apple iphone and the oqo 2 are different products ? one's a mobile phone ahead of its time, and one's a fully fuctional ultra mobile pc... bit like comparing a top of the range push bike with a supercar yes ?

pooks

Guest bennish

It's nice, but the thing we have to remember is that it's a PHONE or Smartphone, not a PDA. It's not made for business users. It's made for the average user. And for the average user, it's damn nice.

I really hope HTC or someone is paying notice to this. It may push the bar for others. Especially with the multi-touch screen, i thought that was interesting when i saw it about a year ago.

One thing though... what's with the buttons? Is it just me or has apple practically copied and pasted the ones from Vista and WMP11? Especially when playing a video, you could fool me that it's actually windows media player lol

icopy.jpg

Edited by bennish

Guest pookiecheeks
Apple flat out called it a smartphone, though.

hello all,

..have they ? all i've found regarding reference to smartphone is...

"And the keyboard is predictive, so it prevents and corrects mistakes, making it easier and more efficient to use than the small plastic keyboards on many smartphones."

..maybe i've missed a page or too. in any case, its very smart and a phone, so hey ho !

pooks

Guest The Doctor
One thing though... what's with the buttons? Is it just me or has apple practically copied and pasted the ones from Vista and WMP11? Especially when playing a video, you could fool me that it's actually windows media player lol

Sorry to drag it back up bennish but if you look at windows vista's file browser (the one used when opening word doc's etc), you'll find it bears a remarkable resemblance to apple's 'Finder' in OS X :)

So basically everybody has taken idea's off everyone else, just like HTC and Sendo back at the dawn of the smartphone :D

It's still dam sexy tho :D

Phil

Guest dskeeles
Apple flat out called it a smartphone, though.

Yeah, that's interesting. I didn't see any PIM apps there - did anyone? I wonder if Apple are still working out the details with the Calendar, Task List, and Notes apps; I didn't even see an icon for these on the demo UI.

Then they have to worry about:

- PIM synchronisation to desktop

- Push PIM sync, including 3rd-party apps

'Nuff said. This is definitely NOT something your IT department buys you; they might let you sync to Outlook when docked, via iTunes, but Apple won't touch the Mobile Office space, and so MS aren't under threat on the business side of things. I suspect most people buying MS smartphones do it for the PIM integration, either because of ActiveSync, or because of the numerous ads focussing on exactly that.

So - when they say "Smartphone", they mean a phone with high-end CPU and OS - but not necessarily a classic smartphone as we see them now. No-one's going to be typing long emails on that screen... and if they do, hopefully Apple include a screen duster to clean it afterwards :)

OTOH, Jobs wasn't lying: this is revolutionary, and blows everything else clean out of the water on first impressions. I think the hardware choices are a good compromise... why use 3G if it halves your battery life, why choose a 5mp camera with poor quality over a 2mp camera that gets things just right, etc.

As for the operators... I think they'll be very happy with this. People may even be willing to pay full whack for the device, saving '00s in subsidies, and if Apple offered even a tiny share from the direct-to-mobile iTunes downloads, the volume would make their current download revenues look like peanuts. People would also really start using Data Services en-masse, and enjoy it, and we're seeing the necessary flat-rate tariffs already with T-Mobile's Web'n'Walk. They've also stolen a march on Windows Live and Nokia Widsets.

But I won't get one, because I can't get my work email, or install loads of convoluted free apps on it :D

[d]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.