Eten announce Glofiish X800 Windows Mobile 6 Professional device

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've just had word from Eten that they have announced their new Glofiish X800 Windows Mobile 6 Professional (aka Pocket PC) device.

Specs are as follows...

• Windows Mobile 6 Professional
  • VGA Screen
  • 3G / HSDPA
  • WiFi
  • GPS
  • Bluetooth
  • 2 Megapixel primary camera
  • Front mounted VGA camera for Video calling
  • 113.5x60.5x15.8 mm, the Glofiish X800 maintains similar ultra-thin, pocket-friendly dimensions

To put the size into perspective, the Eten X500 is a seriously impressive form factor, and is sized at 113x59.5x15.5mm... virtually identical. This makes the X800 a benchmark for 3G / HSDPA devices with a VGA screen. Throw away your Universal, there's a new VGA player in town ;)

Aside from the impressive specs, Eten have adopted a slightly new design philosophy (which bizarrely reminds me of the N70), which most significantly adds the much-requested 'Start' and 'OK' buttons.

Following on from the turmoil experienced by X500 and M700 owners with T-Mobile UK (still unresolved), Eten have some work to do to win back some hearts... but if the product can live up to the specs, then Eten look like they may have a winner on their hands... depending on what is around when the device is expected to hit the ground in July!

P

15-Mar-2007_x800.jpg

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I wasn't too impressed at first glance, but on a closer look i have to agree the N-series-esque design is quite nice. All we need now is a device with this spec and a nice i600-type keyboard! ;)

Guest gilesjuk

Looks like a much more appealing design than the X500.

However Eten are on my blacklist now as they can't or won't fix their incompatibility with T-Mobile and Virgin, so I'll never buy or recommend their junk again.

Guest Webreaper
However Eten are on my blacklist now as they can't or won't fix their incompatibility with T-Mobile and Virgin, so I'll never buy or recommend their junk again.

Bit harsh.... ;)

My understanding is that the radio stack works with every other carrier, so who's to say it's not T-Mobile who should fix their incompatibility? (Virgin are, after all a reseller of T-Mobile's network).

If every time a device manufacturer had a bug/problem/incompatibility we all took that attitude, we'd all be using landlines. :D

Guest gilesjuk
Bit harsh.... ;)

My understanding is that the radio stack works with every other carrier, so who's to say it's not T-Mobile who should fix their incompatibility? (Virgin are, after all a reseller of T-Mobile's network).

If every time a device manufacturer had a bug/problem/incompatibility we all took that attitude, we'd all be using landlines. :D

Why is it every other phone I have owned has worked 100% perfectly first time then?

Eten's phones have had tons of problems, you should try reading the Eten Users forum. Echo problems, lines on a camera, SIM status errors, Headphone socket faults, buzzing coming from the keyboard etc.. etc..

Unfortunately Eten don't care about their reputation or they would fix this, therefore it is my right to tarnish their reputation publicly.

Guest Webreaper
Why is it every other phone I have owned has worked 100% perfectly first time then?

Luck?

Eten's phones have had tons of problems, you should try reading the Eten Users forum. Echo problems, lines on a camera, SIM status errors, Headphone socket faults, buzzing coming from the keyboard etc.. etc..

Again, harsh. Look at any forum (e.g., Modaco, xda-developers, etc) about mobile devices, and you'll find problems. E.g., there's stacks of issues about PPC devices buzzing, headpone socket faults on M600s and Wizards, camera issues on all sorts of devices, etc. People very rarely flood forums with posts saying "My device is working perfectly, no problems at all".

Unfortunately Eten don't care about their reputation or they would fix this, therefore it is my right to tarnish their reputation publicly.

And for a third time, Harsh. My understanding (although I might be out of touch) is that Eten have been working on a fix to the radio stack and have been keeping Paul updated. Whether they're successful in finding a fix is a different matter - embedded code is notoriously difficult to fix.

To say they don't care about their reputation is just plain silly. No company would have that attitude. And yes, it is your right to tarnish their reputation publicly, but only if it's justified.

Edited by Webreaper

Guest Paul (MVP)

I think gilesjuk is entitled to have his opinion, but as well as Eten being at fault (having released without testing you could argue), the resellers are at fault in not informing customers of the issue. Some do, most don't.

The 'radio stack fix' I am trying to help Eten with has come to a grinding halt, with an accompanied lack of communication that doesn't fill me with confidence.

I think Eten make some great and innovative products, but with the X500 and M700, they have let themselves down.

P

Guest gilesjuk
Luck?

Again, harsh. Look at any forum (e.g., Modaco, xda-developers, etc) about mobile devices, and you'll find problems. E.g., there's stacks of issues about PPC devices buzzing, headpone socket faults on M600s and Wizards, camera issues on all sorts of devices, etc. People very rarely flood forums with posts saying "My device is working perfectly, no problems at all".

And for a third time, Harsh. My understanding (although I might be out of touch) is that Eten have been working on a fix to the radio stack and have been keeping Paul updated. Whether they're successful in finding a fix is a different matter - embedded code is notoriously difficult to fix.

To say they don't care about their reputation is just plain silly. No company would have that attitude. And yes, it is your right to tarnish their reputation publicly, but only if it's justified.

I just don't believe in the "network is wrong, the phone is right" approach given that all other phones are apparently working fine.

I realise other vendors have problems, however I personally have problems with my Eten and never did with Mio or HTC.

While they say they are looking at a fix, they haven't provided an update and I'm not sure they ever will.

They also stated the X500 and M700 have TMC yet it doesn't work and there's no indication if it ever will.

Windows Mobile OEMs are well known for their poor support and attitude, it's even mention in other media sites:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/04/so...view/page6.html

Quote:

"That's not something that can be said for its new rivals, the anonymous Asian manufacturers who are pumping out generic Windows Mobile devices at a furious clip. Such vendors often appear more concerned with the model that will be appearing over the horizon, rather than fixing one that's just been released - and they don't have a brand to tarnish."

In my experience the above is true.

Guest mattyduk

as others have said, if it doesn't work with T-mobile (the only decent charging PAYG data network in UK IMHO), then they won't get my money and I'll just plonk for the lower-res screen, but keyboard, of the Kaiser to replace my aging HTC Wizard.

Guest Webreaper

To be fair though, given the liquidity of devices in the mobile arena, is it any wonder that the level of support isn't as good for 'old' devices? (I say 'old' because in most cases devices are treated as obsolete once they've been available for 12 months, because of the way mobile contracts and updgrades.

Everyone is clamouring for new devices, and the customers are all looking at devices on the horizon, so is it any wonder that manufacturers are also concentrating on that? I mean, my XDA Mini S is 11 months and 20 days old, but I'm now on the lookout for a replacement device (come on HTC - release the damn Kaiser!!! ;) ). I feel sorry for the manufacturers - they bring out a new device and 2 weeks later everyone's saying "yes, but I want XYZ devices that's due for release in 2 months"....

Guest gilesjuk

True, but if you buy a phone with Internet capabilities and that feature doesn't work then you have a faulty device. If the fault is in the software then the vendor has to provide a solution as the warranty applies.

Guest Syphon Filter
To be fair though, given the liquidity of devices in the mobile arena, is it any wonder that the level of support isn't as good for 'old' devices? (I say 'old' because in most cases devices are treated as obsolete once they've been available for 12 months, because of the way mobile contracts and updgrades.

Everyone is clamouring for new devices, and the customers are all looking at devices on the horizon, so is it any wonder that manufacturers are also concentrating on that? I mean, my XDA Mini S is 11 months and 20 days old, but I'm now on the lookout for a replacement device (come on HTC - release the damn Kaiser!!! ;) ). I feel sorry for the manufacturers - they bring out a new device and 2 weeks later everyone's saying "yes, but I want XYZ devices that's due for release in 2 months"....

Its for exactly this reason they need to slow their release cycle. Spend more time working the features that we want into a product and then releasing it.

After release that device needs to be properly support to ensure that all features are working as they should be and have been advertised. Instead of releasing a product that they say is all singing and dancign and actually turns out to be a lemon (think A2DP implentation in the Hermes when that hit the street).

Guest Webreaper
Its for exactly this reason they need to slow their release cycle. Spend more time working the features that we want into a product and then releasing it.

And then they'd get slated and left behind for not being 'with the times' and having decent devices.

a lemon (think A2DP implentation in the Hermes when that hit the street).

And will you therefore be avoiding all HTC devices as a result of those problems? No, thought not. ;)

Guest Syphon Filter
And then they'd get slated and left behind for not being 'with the times' and having decent devices.

And will you therefore be avoiding all HTC devices as a result of those problems? No, thought not. ;)

No of course not. But clearly there is an issue of devices being rushed out, one after the other and customers getting the shaft as a result.

If a feature doesnt work, then dont advertise it as an all singing all dancing feature of that particular device. Or when it becomes apparent that it doesnt work, fix it.

Customer support and device support is terrible these days. And that goes for most consumer devices.

Guest Webreaper
If a feature doesnt work, then dont advertise it as an all singing all dancing feature of that particular device. Or when it becomes apparent that it doesnt work, fix it.

....or just release another device in 3 weeks' time and hope users migrate to that.

Customer support and device support is terrible these days. And that goes for most consumer devices.

So what's new? Same as banking, retail, etc, etc., etc. ;) :D

Guest gilesjuk

After release that device needs to be properly support to ensure that all features are working as they should be and have been advertised. Instead of releasing a product that they say is all singing and dancign and actually turns out to be a lemon (think A2DP implentation in the Hermes when that hit the street).

Indeed, HTC are guilty of releasing tons of very marginally different devices. Difference is HTC have the manufacturing capability, Eten doesn't. I waited two months for my M700 and they kept missing shipping dates.

Support will be a lot easier if they release less and actually actively develop the firmware. Have people fixing the problems and even adding extra features.

Developing hardware costs a lot of money, Microsoft develop the OS which lightens the load a lot. So if you produce a good device with a 1-2 year lifespan and have a few good programmers resolving firmware issues that's surely cheaper?

Guest Syphon Filter
Indeed, HTC are guilty of releasing tons of very marginally different devices. Difference is HTC have the manufacturing capability, Eten doesn't. I waited two months for my M700 and they kept missing shipping dates.

Support will be a lot easier if they release less and actually actively develop the firmware. Have people fixing the problems and even adding extra features.

Developing hardware costs a lot of money, Microsoft develop the OS which lightens the load a lot. So if you produce a good device with a 1-2 year lifespan and have a few good programmers resolving firmware issues that's surely cheaper?

Exactly my point.

Guest gilesjuk
A2DP vs any sort of GPRS connectivity is a problem on a different scale i'd say however.

P

Exactly, A2DP is a convienience issue, sound quality will always be better with wired phones.

But not being able to use MMS, Mobile Internet? you might as well go back to an old Nokia 3310.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.