Installation woes

Guest blowdart

Guest blowdart

So I can't get anything to install properly on my E650. The spinning wait disc just sits there, regardless of if I install to the phone or the memory card. You can't turn the phone off, so it's pull the battery time. I hard reset it once already to see if that would solve it. Nada.

Am I alone in this? Any advice?

Guest Griff_FFOC

Nope, you're not alone.

I tried installing Smart2G0 onto the 'device', It has plenty of storage space left on the phone and at the end of the installation it ended up just sitting there with the busy icon for ages.

I had to pull the battery, and after booting it back up, it seemed to have installed it ok.

However, when you run smart2go, it installs "Openbit Licence Manager. So again, I chose, 'device', and the same thing, the spinning busy icon so it ended up being another battery pulling experience.

I'm going to try installing to the memory card instead and see if that solves it. I installed Resco suite earlier (so I can use it's registry editor to recover from changing to silent profile, but that's another story) and that appeared to install fine. The only difference was that was installed to the card. Either that or it's Resco that has upset it, but i doubt it.

Edited by Griff_FFOC

Guest shadieb
So I can't get anything to install properly on my E650. The spinning wait disc just sits there, regardless of if I install to the phone or the memory card. You can't turn the phone off, so it's pull the battery time. I hard reset it once already to see if that would solve it. Nada.

Am I alone in this? Any advice?

This happenened to me, it occurs if you have used the orange france app unlocker. Try hard resetting the phone using the "hold both soft buttons down and then power up the phone whilst keeping both buttons pressed. When prompted press the green call button"

When it has fully reset use PaulMVP's app unlocker and you should then be able to go through the complete install process when installing apps and games etc.. Works for me. Unfortunately I don't think the unlocker posted by PaulMVP works fully on the E650 as I am unable to edit the registry like I could using the orange france unlocker. Other then that all seems okay :rolleyes:

Guest Griff_FFOC

I haven't used any App unlocker on this handset, so I don't think that's the culprit. Although it might have the same symptoms as whatever is causing the problems in this instance.

I'm having yet another one delivered tomorrow, and as long as the screen doesn't have any free play on it, i'm not going to install any third party software on it and see if I have any particular issues with it.

Edited by Griff_FFOC

Guest Pr0sper
What a shock. Orange release another buggy phone *sigh*

Seems like an E650 bug. The HTC S710 doesn't have those problems everybody's reporting here :rolleyes:

Guest blowdart
This happenened to me, it occurs if you have used the orange france app unlocker. Try hard resetting the phone using the "hold both soft buttons down and then power up the phone whilst keeping both buttons pressed. When prompted press the green call button"

Nope, I haven't unlocked using anything.

I'd report it to 150, but I doubt anything would happen at all. Certainly never had any use when I reported previous bugs.

Guest blowdart

Oh how right I was.

"You need to contact the handset manufacturer sir"

"Errr what? You sold this to me *yesterday*, and it's your ROM"

"Sorry sir".

PAUL! OH PAUL! You must know someone who can action this

Guest shadieb

Well seems I am wrong about the unlock method. I hard reset mine a few days ago and it has been fine until today when I tried to install Dougie Rampkins Trial challenge and its gone back to its old ways of not completing the installer :rolleyes: Have to keep pulling the battery out and rebooting now :P

Gotta be a problem with the rom.

Guest Griff_FFOC
Oh how right I was.

"You need to contact the handset manufacturer sir"

"Errr what? You sold this to me *yesterday*, and it's your ROM"

"Sorry sir".

PAUL! OH PAUL! You must know someone who can action this

Have you tried ringing back up and speaking to someone else? I've had nothing but helpful people so far at Orange, as far they can help me anyway.

Guest blowdart
Have you tried ringing back up and speaking to someone else? I've had nothing but helpful people so far at Orange, as far they can help me anyway.

I have a call back from a supervisor today.

I'll also mention the lack of restore of reminder volumes when coming off slient

Guest Confucious
I have a call back from a supervisor today.

A call back from Orange? hahahhahhahahaha oops! I mean, of course they'll phone you back, I mean T-Mobile always phone you back so I'm sure Orange will....

Guest peekie

Same problem here on a dutch E650 , but i dont wait for the spinning wheel i press the home button and its gone and the application is installed , a wierd bug on the phone, and a pain , least one plus point is t-mobile will not release this phone as they are stopping windows mobile phones at the end of 2006 according to press releases here :P if orange do not release an update then as soon as htc do i will flush that rom into mine :rolleyes:

Guest blowdart
I would suggest fully application unlocking with the O util and seeing if this fixes the problem.

P

Link? The french one? The problem with that is it's a CAB. And when you install it, everything hangs as it discussed.

Guest blowdart
But does it still do the unlock?

P

How can I check? It's not that I'm getting security errors; I can, for example, install Tube Maps, or Live Search, it's just whatever they introduced in their branding broke successful competition.

Of course if Orange had some sort of formal bug report process it would make me feel much better about something ever getting down.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hmmm, it is weird.

Sadly, until Orange feel that they want to send me the SPV E650 unit that is 'on the way', then I really can't assist much further :rolleyes:

P

Guest blowdart
Hmmm, it is weird.

Sadly, until Orange feel that they want to send me the SPV E650 unit that is 'on the way', then I really can't assist much further :rolleyes:

P

You could gently beat them up until they finally get a decent bug reporting system.

I'll let you know if they call me back today.

Guest peekie

Although its a pain with the install problems i have found if you have the quickrest ( an old freeware app ) application installed on your phone this helps in the way you dont have to take the battery out at all as the phone shuts down and reboots on its own when you use this app , i have enclosed it on this post to help you lot out , simply copy the exe to a handy place eg windows/start menu/accessories .on wm6 you will not see any icon ( you do on wm5 ) :rolleyes:

Guest Paul (MVP)

[Edit: oops!]

Cheers for the heads up KillBait!...

Orange have application locked the E650 more extensively than the S710, that's hardly a new thing on Orange's part.

As blowdart says below, this doesn't appear to be an application lock issue, but until such time as I can beat a E650 out of Orange, I can't perform more detailed investigations to find out exactly what is happening. It could still be that part of the install process is trying to do something that the OS isn't letting it :rolleyes:

The INQ was very tickled to discover that there's a mobile phone version of CTRL-ALT-DEL, which apparently involves holding down the two 'soft keys'.

Er, no, last time I checked CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't wipe your PC.

P

Guest blowdart
Orange have application locked the E650 more extensively than the S710, that's hardly a new thing on Orange's part.

And like I keep saying it is NOT an application lock issue.

Guest chinster
/me screws head on and edits reply :rolleyes:

P

I have just made a call into Orange technical support and they said they are aware of the problem and have no ETA as of yet on the fix. I am to be honest sick of this, Orange have well and truly crucified this handset. Is there an HTC rom available for the phone yet?

A