HTC reveals the P3450 'Touch' - and it's coming to Orange and T-Mobile!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Have you missed me on the forum today? OK, probably not... but i've spent the day in London at the 'HTC Touch' press launch, and chatting to HTC's top chaps about their new baby.

thumb_05-Jun-2007_touch.jpg

First things first, what is it?

Specs wise, much of the Touch is all very familiar. It features a TI OMAP 850 based Windows Mobile 6 Professional (Pocket PC) device, 128MB ROM / 64MB RAM, Quad band GPRS / EDGE, extUSB, Bluetooth, WiFi, miniSD expansion, 2 Megapixel Camera. You know the score! What will sell the Touch to you is it's design, and of course it's unique user interface!

Coming in at 99mm x 58mm x 13.9mm, the Touch is SMALL and LIGHT! Making Magician size devices look decidedly portly, the Touch finally brings Pocket PC to the realms of truly pocketable fashion devices. It has a black soft touch finish and a minimalist design (although we did spot green devices on display too, sans soft-touch), with only the directional pad and green / red keys on the front, and volume / power / camera keys on the side.

Something else you'll notice on the Touch when you start using it is the screen coating. It's less like what we're used to on Pocket PCs, and more like what you'd find on Smartphones or regular feature phones. It's a hard finish that feels very tough indeed... handy as you're going to be poking it with your grubby little fingers throughout the day! It also doesn't have a bezel, unusual for a Pocket PC... but we'll come to that in a minute.

So what of the new UI?

Touted by HTC as revolutionary, the new UI sits on top of Windows Mobile 6 and makes the device far easier to use with one hand for many of the core functions.

From the very sexy homescreen...

Sweep from bottom to top with finger: Open touch menus

Sweep from left to right with finger: Switch between touch menus (contacts, common applications, music / photos videos links)

Sweep from top to bottom with finger: Close touch menus

As well as performing these gestures at the (very nifty) homescreen, you can actually perform them anywhere on the device to achieve the same effect. The aforementioned lack of screen bezel helps greatly with performing these gesture, as you can start your 'slide' from outside the screen. Gestures can also be employed in applications. For example, in mail / contacts / IE and other applications with scroll bars, you can gesture to scroll the page as you would 'sliding a piece of paper'.

Does it work? In fact, it does. I have to confess I was initially sceptical, but having played with the device, i'm sold. It's a very neat UI, that gives you the core functionality at a touch, without compromising the power of Windows Mobile in the main. The only disappointment for me is text input - PhonePad T9 is yet again missing, and therefore forces the user to resort to a stylus on the on screen keyboard. Unfortunate.

I'm lucky enough to have been given one of these devices to keep, so while I prepare a review and give it a thorough workout, feel free to hit me with any questions :P

When is the HTC Touch available? NOW! The Touch is shipping from Expansys priced at £354.95. Orange and T-Mobile also announced that they will be offering the handset. The Orange version will ship as the HTC Touch (the SPV brand is dead!), and the T-Mobile version will ship as the 'MDA Touch'.

I have a ton more content to put online so keep checking back, in the meantime, i'll leave you with the official press release, FAQ and some screenshots of the UI!:rolleyes:

P

post-1-1181078247_thumb.png post-1-1181078262_thumb.png

post-1-1181078273_thumb.png post-1-1181078279_thumb.png

HTC Touch™ Delivers New Touch Screen Experience

HTC Device Signals New Direction In Finger Touch Operation

LONDON — June 5, 2007 — HTC Corp. (TAIEX: 2498; “HTC”), the world’s leading provider of Microsoft® Windows Mobile®-based smart devices, today announced the global launch of the HTC Touch™, a deceptively small and stylish mobile phone that ushers in an innovative new concept in intuitive touch screen navigation. Orange is the first pan-European operator to launch the HTC Touch™. The device brings a new level of simplicity to the powerful and function-rich device experience that today’s mobile customers demand.

Building on its rich ten-year history of mobile phone innovations, the HTC Touch™ represents extensive research and development and the conviction that fingertip control will enable more efficient, natural and intuitive touch screen navigation. The groundbreaking HTC Touch™ offers a new and unique way of controlling touch screen-based devices by recognising and responding to the sweep of a finger across the screen. It is intelligent enough to distinguish between finger and stylus input and then respond accordingly.

“With the HTC Touch™, access to your most commonly used content, contacts and features is only a simple finger flick away,” said Peter Chou, CEO and President of HTC. “Mobile phone makers have done a great job of cramming ever-more exciting features into ever-smaller phones. But the way in which one accesses these increasingly sophisticated features has not kept pace. That ends today with the HTC Touch™.”

Smart, stylish and versatile, the HTC Touch™ brings together a wide variety of communication, entertainment and professional capabilities that enable mobile consumers to balance work and play. The new HTC-designed homescreen provides one-touch access to emails, text messages, calendar appointments and contacts, as well as current weather conditions and forecasts for hundreds of cities around the world.

The HTC Touch™ is the first device to feature TouchFLO™, the new underlying touch screen technology developed by HTC. Consumers simply sweep their finger up the display to launch an animated, three-dimensional interface comprising three screens: Contacts, Media and Applications. The interface can be spun by swiping a finger right or left across the display, providing efficient access to the features consumers use most. TouchFLO™ also enhances finger touch scrolling and browsing of Web pages, documents, messages and contact lists.

Leveraging the broad functionality of Windows Mobile 6 Professional, the HTC Touch™ includes Outlook Mobile, Office Mobile and the capabilities to run thousands of third-party applications. Users can surf the web with Internet Explorer®, send and receive emails, chat and upload files to the internet.

The HTC Touch™ also features a 2 mega-pixel camera, a large 2.8-inch colour LCD screen and comes with a 1GB microSD card, giving users the versatility to store, upload and share multimedia content with ease.

Availability

The announcement marks the first time that HTC has introduced an HTC product globally, and comes almost exactly a year after the company launched its first own-branded products in June 2006. The HTC Touch™ will also be the first HTC-branded product to be sold in Asia. The HTC Touch™ will be available to customers across Europe and Asia this month, beginning today in the United Kingdom.

The HTC Touch™ will be initially available to Orange customers in the UK, France, Spain and the Netherlands.

Yves Maitre, VP Devices, Orange, says “We are delighted to be first to launch this innovative new smartphone, which will open the door to widespread use of touch screen devices. Orange has the widest portfolio of Microsoft smartphones and was the first operator to launch a Windows 6.0 device. This latest addition cements Orange’s position as the leading operator in the smartphone market. Orange and HTC have a heritage of innovating with new types of smartphone and the HTC Touch™ is a great example of this.”

T-Mobile will launch a customised version of the device which will be named the MDA Touch across key European markets. The innovative and strong multi-media feature set of the MDA Touch will be a powerful fit to T-Mobile’s “web’n’walk” proposition.

“With this month’s launch of the MDA Touch, we are proud to be launching one of the first true touch screen phones for our markets. T-Mobile is continuing its successful cooperation and development of innovative products with HTC as partner,” says Michael Hagspihl, Executive Vice President Terminal Management, T-Mobile International. “T-Mobile already set standards in the past by providing its customers with innovative PDAs like the MDA Vario II and Ameo.”

HTC Touch™ key features

• Dimensions: 99.9mm (L) x 58mm (W) x 13.9mm (T)
  • Weight: 112g with battery
  • 1GB microSD storage card included / 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM
  • 2.8’’ LCD touch screen with backlight, 240 x 320 dots resolution with 65,536 colours
  • Battery Life: Rechargeable Li-Ion battery with a capacity of 1100 mAh
  • Standby time: Up to 200 / Talk time: Up to 5 hours
  • Camera: 2.0 mega-pixel CMOS colour camera
  • Windows Mobile 6 Professional with Direct Push Email and HTML email support
  • Wireless Connectivity: GSM/GPRS/EDGE Tri-band: 900, 1800,1900, Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g and Bluetooth® 2.0
  • Choice of two colours at launch - elegant soft black or alluring wasabi green
What is the HTC Touch™?
  • The HTC Touch™ is a deceptively small and stylish mobile phone that ushers in an innovative new concept in intuitive touch screen navigation. It brings a new level of simplicity to the powerful and function-rich device experience that today’s mobile consumers demand – giving users quick and easy access to the Contacts, Media and Applications they use most.
  • The device offers a new and unique way of controlling touch screen-based devices by recognising and responding to the sweep of a finger across the screen. It is intelligent enough to distinguish between finger and stylus input.
  • The device features a new HTC-designed homescreen, which provides one-touch access to emails, text messages, calendar appointments and contacts, as well as current weather conditions and forecasts for hundreds of cities around the world.
  • The HTC Touch™ is the first device to feature TouchFLO™, the new underlying touch screen technology developed by HTC.
    • TouchFLO™ is an exciting new way of controlling the operation of a touch screen device. Unlike other touch screen devices, TouchFLO™ responds to movement, recognising the sweep of your finger up, down, left or right on the screen. It distinguishes finger input from stylus input and then responds accordingly.
    • Users simply sweep their finger up the display to launch an animated, three-dimensional interface comprising three screens: Contacts, Media and Applications. The interface can be spun by swiping a finger right or left across the display, providing efficient access to the features consumers use most.
    • TouchFLO™ is also used to open and close menus, move from one screen to another, scroll though contacts lists and move documents and web pages.
    • TouchFLO™ delivers additional functionality throughout the device’s operation. It is central to the way in which the HTC-designed interfaces are controlled, and is also available to support all Windows Mobile functions as well as the operation of on-board applications.
    • The HTC Touch™ also comes with a stylus for more detailed work, to action the on-screen keyboard, or to use as a pen for writing, drawing or handwriting recognition.

• The HTC Touch™ will be available to customers across Europe and Asia this month, beginning today [June 5th] in the United Kingdom. The North and Latin American version of the HTC Touch™ will be available in the second half of 2007.
      • How much will the HTC Touch™ cost?

[*]We expect the device to be available at a very attractive price point for contract customers through our operator partners.

[*]For those wishing to buy the HTC Touch™ off the high street, the retail price will be in the region of 449 euros.

Who is the HTC Touch™ targeted at?

[*]HTC has always maintained that there is no device which will suit everybody – that’s why we have such a wide portfolio of devices.

[*]However, it is the company’s belief that the HTC TouchTM is a product with something to offer everybody.

[*]In an age when a mobile phone is as much a fashion accessory as a functional device, elegant, attractive and streamlined styling help the HTC Touch™ set new standards in design and simplicity.

[*]For those who seek the latest technology advancements, the HTC Touch™ offers the most radical new development in touch screen functionality.

[*]For those who need business productivity on the move, the HTC Touch™ boasts Windows Mobile 6, supporting the most popular Microsoft Mobile Office applications.

Guest Electronic Punk

Hope others drop their own brand names for HTC as well!

Was almost tempted by one of these, but think I will hang on and wait for the next big smartphone :rolleyes:

Guest Ovie

This looks so nice, I am almost resigned to getting one, I knew I shouldn't have gotten the Trinity I just knew it! Any ideas on the pricing, the specs are standard but I can imagine a bit added on for the size and interface. Also, are HTC planning on using TouchFlo with newer devices? The thing is, will they be as small!?

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Odd device. I like the flush screen on the front though, no bezel...oh and love the form factor, its tiny!

Guest pd.ryder

Oooo, sweeet. Anyone else think its just a little a bit iPhone? That 'Touch' menu system is really snazzy.

[mutter] damned 18 month contracts [/mutter]

Just checked the specs again - no 3G - is that right?

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest bennish

it's basically htc's answer to the 'iphone' - i don't much like the iphone's touch, and to be honest don't personally think i'd like this either.

however, i am impressed that htc managed to bring out in 4 short months what it took apple 'years' to do. it's basically got everything the iphone has.

unfortunately, that's as far as they take it. why not a 3.2mp camera to really trump the iphone? and a ti omap 850? nowhere near fast enough. did you see the lag on the menu system in the video? it needs 3d graphics or something.

and also, where's the built in memory?

they could've beaten iphone. (it doesn't have multi, but multi is only used for resizing photos. everyting else in the iphone is gesture, and this has plenty of gestures).

Guest mikeeey

its still a single-touch touchscreen, is it the same as any ppc's touchscreen? if so, cant the Touch's Rom be put on any pocket pc device? i see this ppc no different than any other really... it's just the software, correct?

Guest nickcornaglia

One of my pet peeves about PPCs has been the screens....well, the clear screen covers. I never liked the way they feel. Their shinyish nature and the ever so small gap of air that makes the touch sensors work.

This looks like it has none of that...more like a Smartphone screen as Paul has pointed out.

Plus it's flush with the body which is a plus.

I'm more excited about this than the touch feature...which seems kind of cool...but is lacking something.

What is that something????

TOTAL INTEGRATION withing the OS and it's apps.

Everything should use that functionality. It should be made standard with the core apps and required for other apps.

I think the iPhone will be more consistent throughout it's apps....though limited in number they may be.

The part of the iPhone multitouch that I like best is the fact that it IS multitouch. Have you seen hown photos are manipulated...it's really more in line with the MS Surface.

This seems like a flash overlay on the homescreen + scrolling. That isn't what's best in the iPhone.

But then again, the iPhone AIN'T that much!

This is a great step toward new innovation in WM devices....but not ground breaking unless it expands beyond what it currently does.

What do I like bast about the phone (without having seen or used one, mind you)?

The screen as stated above.

The size.

The simplicity of design.

Other than that...I'd have been happier if the Touch was laid over a Smartphone OS rather than PPC.

QUESTION:

Are Block Recognizer and other inputs available as well as the on-screen keyboard?

Guest nickcornaglia

Wish they'd change the font on the today screen plugins to match the new interface....regular plugins just look wierd next to it! (under it)

Guest mikeeey

this has a 200mhz Omap correct?

i wonder how slow the menus and everything will be once u start to sue the phone. it will completely ruin the point of its nice software design and unique touch.

but besides how the touch screen feels, isnt the way how it works all software? cant it be put on any touchscreen?

Guest RSkillz

First thing that also popped into my mind:

Can someone get that software off that device so we can put it on other WM devices!

Would be fun to have on my P4350 (nice UI and hardware keyboard to boot)

Guest kurtfhouse

Although this looks great, this 'sweep' control looks like its been 'borrowed' from Neonode. I had the N1 and I did really like the way you could do everything without having to get a stylus out.

Guest Chiz
I'm lucky enough to have been given one of these devices to keep, so while I prepare a review and give it a thorough workout, feel free to hit me with any questions :rolleyes:

Look forward to that review Paul.

I can't see Apple being too scared of this offering just yet.

Guest paholman

I like the look of it too, and the fact it is small.

The one minor disappointment (and it is minor) I have is the lack of integrated GPS which is where the new technology seems to be headed. Perhaps built in GPS is a battery drainer but Nokia have done it with the N95, and HTC did it with the HTC P3300. A shame they couldn't include it in this very nice piece of kit

Guest Paul (MVP)

My thoughts...

It's not really designed to 'beat the iPhone' - from conversations I had with HTC top brass yesterday it was in the works well before iPhone. An initial European launch followed by Americas later supports this too.

Can the touch stuff be put on any PPC? Maybe with some hacking, but remember the hard surface of the touch and the bezel-less screen is specifically designed to complement the new UI.

Once again with the 200MHz OMAP 850 on WM6, it doesn't feel slow at all.

P

Guest n20nine

hmmm...like most of us here, i am still curious if or not it touchflo can be ported to other devices. I am hoping, at least the Kaiser will have it. Else, maybe we'll just have to wait for sometime :rolleyes:

Ah..So the screen on the Touch is harder...never knew that. Maybe it is not just software, but also different hardware (display-wise) to get TouchFlo to work.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I wouldn't be surprised to see TouchFLO on more devices, after all, if HTC have spent some much time / money on developing / marketing it, they'll want to reap the rewards!

I think the screen is the same, just a different coating.

P

Guest Swampie

I note that it doesn't appear to have any hardware buttons. How does the non-TouchFLO UI (ie. the standard WM6 GUI) work with this touch screen? The iPhone has big chunky buttons for everything which means you don't need to use your fingernail to touch the small buttons/links etc. Whilst the TouchFLO UI has large buttons, when you drop back to normal ones they're still the same - I guess you need to use the stylus/nail for those.

Personally, I was hoping for the Kaiser when I upgrade in August. This looks nice, but I can't see me going for it. The Vario seems too slow, which has the same CPU as this. I want 3G as I use the net a lot on my Vario but get frustrated by download speeds. GPS would be nice as I use TomTom, but it's not a requirement. A keyboard may be nice - I'm not 100% sure on that as I don't always use that.

The biggest thing I think is the lack of buttons. I like using the Vario without sylus and using @ button as OK and e-mail button as Start. I can do most things without needing to touch the screen (IE Favourites etc). Having just Start/End call, joy-pad, volume up/down and camera buttons seems too few for me. I had a quick play with an iPAQ hx2490 at work, and I severely miss hardware soft-keys. That device is annoying with so few buttons. I can't see the Touch being any different.

Paul, any comments on my button issues with the Touch?

Edited by Swampie

Guest magic_peanuts

200Mhz processor - no problem, WM6 handles it far better than WM5 ever did

2MP camera - well lets face it, no one ever bought an HTC phone for the camera

No inbuilt memory - I prefer storage cards

No GPS - with the exception of the Armetis, the TTFF is rubbish on current built in GPS

No Multi-Touch - I think this has limited use anyway (zoom on maps / photos / webpages etc)

But why for the love of God did they make it 2G?

IMHO they have IMMEDIATELY ruled out a large cross section of potential buyers who have been used to 3G. The Universal must be 2 years old by now and I think most data users who have reasonable 3G coverage around home and work and have had a Univeral or Hermes will not want to go back to 2G.

Guest magic_peanuts
...and chatting to HTC's top chaps...

Off topic, I apologise, but I don't suppose you were able to wangle anything out of HTC about the Wings / S730 were you?

Edited by magic_peanuts

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.