Leakage: HTC Omni Specs & Renders

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

[teaser]

thumb_04-Jul-2007_htc-omni.jpg

Oh how I've waited for something more on this device! I was beggining to think the Omni would never appear and that the Kaiser would be the Universal's (and Hermes') successor! Not, however, according to UnwiredView who've scored a hands-on with HTC's 2007 roadmap which contains specs and renders of this eagerly awaited device. Specs are as follows:

• Windows Mobile 6.0 OS
  • UMTS/HSDPA connectivity
  • WVGA 4″ 800×480 px display, subdisplay
  • TV and VGA out
  • 256 ROM, 128 RAM and microSD memory card slot
  • Wi-Fi b/g, USB and Bluetooth connectivity
  • GPS/A-GPS
  • Full QWERTY keyboard
  • Dimensions: 130 x 81 x16 mm

I don't know about the rest of you but if the Omni stays true to it's renders (unlike the i-mate K-Jar), I think it's gonna be a damned sexy, if not rather large, device! Click through for a size comparison...

[/teaser]

04-Jul-2007_omni_vs_uni-kasier-7150.jpg

via [UnwiredView]

Oh and thanks to Simon Kimber for the heads up! :)

Guest skimber

I was hoping it would have been a little smaller than the universal... although, if the renders are to be believed, those measurements don't seem quite right. for example... My dodgy maths skills worked out that a 4" 800x480 should measure about 88mm x 51mm which is about 6mm narrower than the universal's, so they must be planning to leave a lot of space around the screen.

On a side note - and because i'm a bit sad - I took an opera window and resized the viewing area to approximately 800x480 and then set the zoom to about 70%. Based on that this is going to be a seriously usable mobile web device!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

I'm still wondering whether the screen will swivel. If not it looks like we'll be stuck with a meagre 2 line display on the outside! :) Oh an is it just me or does that circle at the bottom of the screen 1) look like a forward facing camera and 2) look a bit randomly placed if so :S

Guest skimber

I guess the camera being there would explain the width of the device.

Surely it must be a swivel screen.... Usability would be horrible otherwise... You'd have to have it fully open even for making calls.

Guest Markda2000

As I type this from my Universal one thing strikes me with regard to the Omni renders, and that is the lack of hardware keys on the screen part of the device. If it does have a swivel screen then the lack of buttons here will make the device hard to use effectively. The Universals lack of soft keys in tablet mode is inconvenient, the omni's lack of Dpad will be catastrophic for tablet/one handed use.

Guest mikeeey
As I type this from my Universal one thing strikes me with regard to the Omni renders, and that is the lack of hardware keys on the screen part of the device. If it does have a swivel screen then the lack of buttons here will make the device hard to use effectively. The Universals lack of soft keys in tablet mode is inconvenient, the omni's lack of Dpad will be catastrophic for tablet/one handed use.

wow what would you do with 1280mb of RAM!?

Guest 4N1L

this looks suspiciuosly like the imate ultimate 7150...the insides might be diffferent but exterior wise it looks very similar to the 7150 (and we've seen plenty of pictures of that device)

Guest Markda2000
this looks suspiciuosly like the imate ultimate 7150...the insides might be diffferent but exterior wise it looks very similar to the 7150 (and we've seen plenty of pictures of that device)

I have seen the Ultimate 7150 in loads of places but I have only seen the same image of it. None showing the device closed with the OLED screen visable.

The Ultimate may have a less usable keyboard looking at the dimensions. I believe the Ultimate does not have GPS but still a very good device

Guest damianbyrne

I have the Athena device but this......

I want it, the Athena is good but that resolution is a massive minus for it

Guest Confucious
I have the Athena device but this......

I want it, the Athena is good but that resolution is a massive minus for it

How do you work out that 640 X 480 (Standard VGA) is a massive minus compared to a non standard 800 X 400?

Guest Metoo
How do you work out that 640 X 480 (Standard VGA) is a massive minus compared to a non standard 800 X 400?

Firstly, its 800*480, not 800*400,

Secondly, 800*480 isn't non standard - it's known as Wide VGA (WVGA) and is officially supported by WM6.

Having seen these screens in action, I can vouch that the extra width works _much_ better for web browsing than 640x480, especially when paired with Opera. And that most existing applications work with it perfectly unless they're directly accessing the video hardware (e.g. some games and TomTom). If you're not convinced, check out reviews of the Nokia 770 and 800 (or even Toshiba G900).

Edited by Metoo

• 1 month later...
Guest jsnead

Has there been any further word about this phone?  It's allegedly coming out in two months, and all I can find is the one set of leaked images of a rendering.  It's exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if it's actually real.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.