This news appeared to slide in under the radar at I/O, but Google have updated their Play Books service to allow you to upload upto 1,000 of you own files to your library. File formats are currently limited to ePub and PDF with a maximum allowed size of 50mb per file. Playback can then be via browser or either Android and iOS Play Books apps.
I've tried both file formats in a quick test and it seems pretty good. Both ePub and PDF seem to render fine, even PDF's with lots of images.
The service also appears to scan your Google Drive for valid files and add those to your library too.
Supported file types and sizes
- Currently, only EPUB and PDF files can be uploaded
- Up to 1,000 files can be uploaded to your account
- Files can be up to 50 MB in size
- Certain types of content (e.g., audio, video) may not be supported
- DRM-protected files are not supported
Head over to your Google Play Books account for full details