Back in May I wrote a piece on Kineto Wireless' signal boost technology on the HTC Explorer. I'd kind of parked it in my brain until yesterday when I spent a whole day out of mobile service but with excellent WiFi coverage and I started to wonder... would I actually switch phone / operator to get WiFi calling?
The obvious answer to that is 'of course not, because if so you would have switched to Orange and a compatible handset already' and, yes, that's true to a degree. Maybe switching handset AND operator at once is a step too far, or maybe it's a nice feature to have for me but I need the functionality only occasionally so I don't hit that tipping point?
I'm intrigued to know what you guys think about the technology... for example...
- Are you typically in a situation where WiFi calling would be useful?
- Would you switch operator to get WiFi calling?
- Would you switch device to get WiFi calling?
- Would you buy an app to get WiFi calling?
- Would you download a free app to get WiFi calling?
- If you bought a device with the app on, would you consider it 'bloat'?
For me personally I think it would influence my operator / handset choice (but not necessarily preclude either) and i'd definitely buy an app to do it if that was an option.