- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

zbrett

zbrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just bought the i600 last Sunday. It replaced an a530 that I tried for a week (nice tiny phone, limited PDA features) and a Sony PEG-T665C (on eBay right now). I really haven't had a chance to play with it too much, but I do have a 512MB SD card, Verizon Case, USB cable, and travel charger on order.

For the positives, I think its a great phone. I like the flexibility it offers, and that I don't have to use Verizon's "Get It Now" that nickles and dimes you to death. I'm pretty good with Windows, so I'm much more comfortable getting "into" the phone than I was using GAGIN and bitpim on the a530.

The few nitpicks I have are I wish it was about an ounce lighter, the caller ID bug (This really bugs me and I'm going to go after Verizon and try for some "compensation"), that you can't assign individual ringtones despite Microsoft's site says you can, and the wait (maybe eternal?) for Smartphone 2003.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with my purchase.

pmerritt

pmerritt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I have one and love it, i have two SD cards, one 256 and one 512 the larger always has a full length movie, games and music and the 256 hasn't been used yet but i'm sure i will find something for it. btw zbrett, you can make your own ringers really easily. plce .wav file in the Sounds folder in the phone and it works like a charm. i encoded a 16bit mono and it was only 200k or so but it sounds great.

hard-case

hard-case

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Have had it since it first came out from Verizon. At first I was extremely impressed, now a bit less so. I love the size....unlike a lot of people I'm not too keen on the 'phone so small I could lose it anywhere' phenomena. I like the size and shape of the phone, and it's very solid construction (two drops and barely even a scratch on the thing). I've had no problems with call clarity or dropped calls (ok, I've had one dropped call since I had it, but considering it was the first bad snowstorm of the year, and traffic was at record levels, I'm more than willing to say it was probably just overloaded circuits).

The first thing that bothers me is the standard battery. One day would be nice, but if I pull it from the charger at 7am, I am damn lucky if by 4pm the thing isn't chirping at me, and that's with maybe 20-30 minutes MAX of open useage. I was hoping for more out of the external display (like...maybe icons for email, or voicemail, like just about every other cell phone with external displays have!), and I HATE the fact that you can't put links on the home screen to programs (no...not the MRU, but just a static quick link to different software). And hey.....I pay for the unlimited data plan, how about email software that can automatically check my POP mail every 15-30 minutes? Mostly pretty minor gripes, though. I'm definitely sticking with the phone, and hoping we'll see a 2k3 upgrade.

As for software:
B-Tris
ConnectedBits Weather
Resco Task Manager
Resco Battery/Memory
PHM Registry Editor
and yeah...Smart StripPoker.

btw zbrett, you can make your own ringers really easily. plce .wav file in the Sounds folder in the phone and it works like a charm. i encoded a 16bit mono and it was only 200k or so but it sounds great.

I think zbrett is referring to what is one of my biggest gripes about the phone. SP2k2, and even the original documentations from Samsung (I have the PDF manual downloaded from their site from mid-November), list custom ring tones for contacts as one of the available features of the phone. In the manual I have, under the Contacts portion it lists 'Custom Ring Tone' as an option for a contact entry. Later versions of the manual, and of course the phone itself, do not. Verizon has no clue, and a Samsung CS rep kicked me up to level 2 support, but 30 minutes on hold was enough for me. I tried emailing them, but their response was 'call our CS number'. Several custom proggies that supposedly have this feature don't work with the i600.

zbrett

zbrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

...list custom ring tones for contacts as one of the available features of the phone

Exactly... I went through the same process, only to find custom ring tones for contacts missing after I got the phone. And yes, a lot of people wihin Verizon don' t have a clue when it comes to the i600. I knew more about the phone than the employees at the store where I bought it and it was just a fluke that they actually had one in the store that I could take home with me, rather than the normal ship to your address route for delivery. :roll:

deck

deck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i600, got it, love it.
Its my first PDA (PDA like) device.
I switched from Sprint to Verizon to get it.
Bonus for me: Verizon seems to have better coverage here in Eastern Pennsylvania then Sprint.

I use it for strictly personal reasons.
Movies, Music, Pictures, Surfing, PIM, Calls, Games, IMing, Texting, Email...

Gripes: No page up/down support (scrolling marathon)

Favorite 3rd party App: IA Album (for pictures)

Two 256Meg SD cards.
And i bought the Lexar Jumpdrive Trio.
I use it to read/write to my SD cards from almost any PC.
Extremely conveniant, and cheap.

Here's a link to it on Amazon.com

Question: did anyone get WAP to work on the i600?

bicski

bicski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got one last week and love it for the basics - phone, notes, tasks, calendar - it works great.

bic

Mike E

Mike E

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I also have the i600 and use it both for business and personal. I was also tired of carrying a phone and a PDA around all the time. I also have been trying various programs and just ordered a bigger SD card for it.

I've noticed a few people commenting about not being able to check more than 1 E-Mail account.
I purchased Sunnysoft Mail Center and am very happy with it. I am using it with 2 POP3 accounts and have not had any problems. I wish I could have it automatically check every X minutes, but at least for now I can check them.

I'm also running Code Wallet Pro, IA Album, Agile Messenger, Video Poker, PocketTV, and Mine Sweeper. Still looking for other games!

mwaldrop

mwaldrop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Just got my i600. It's my first PDA phone and I'm fairly impressed.
Cons:
Battery life is pretty bad on the standard battery
Much mentioned callerID bugs

Pros:
VZW coverage is far superior to any other provider if you travel a lot
Form factor and general usability is good

I have access to an i600 with the 2003 update installed. Once I get some time with it I will post details on what to expect when the upgrade is available.

lilngineer

lilngineer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Can I ask you you obtained a 2003 update?

jhalsey205

jhalsey205

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I love mine just before Christmas, replacing my trusty IPAQ 3630.
Hardware additions include:
>>Samsung Soft Keyboard
>>Boxwave mini sync
Software includes:
>>xBar
>>D1 Power Tasks
>>SunnySoft Mail Center
>>Resco Smart Pack (Explorer, Picture Viewer, System Toys)
>>SpaceMakerJeyo Personalizer
>>Torch
>>Smartris

jhalsey205

jhalsey205

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I love mine just before Christmas, replacing my trusty IPAQ 3630.
Hardware additions include:
>>Samsung Soft Keyboard
>>Boxwave mini sync
>>128 SD card

Software includes:
>>xBar
>>D1 Power Tasks
>>SunnySoft Mail Center
>>Resco Smart Pack (Explorer, Picture Viewer, System Toys)
>>SpaceMakerJeyo Personalizer
>>Torch

lover

lover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just got mine.

Hardware extra:
1) handfree from old samsung phone
2) extra car and headfree set from Verizon
3) 256 MB SD

Software:
1)PoketTV
2)Gameboy EMU

Jerry Raia

Jerry Raia

Smartphone Thoughts Editor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:I fly planes
  • Devices:iPhone 5s-Lumia 920-Galaxy S4
  • Twitter:@jerryraia
I just got one a couple days ago, really enjoying it. I have a 128 SD card in it. I sync with my exchange server automatically. I'm very happy with it.

Jerry
@jerryraia

mglish

mglish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got mine a week ago. I had the Motorola T720 and was displeased with it. I find the i600 to be a better phone in every way. The sound is louder (a big complaint I had with the T720), feels more solid, etc. I didn't think I'd like the keyboard but now I do. It's taking some time to get used to the changes but every day I find something new that I like. I like Verizon so the combination of Verizon plus the i600 are fine by me.

Next challenge is getting my corporate email on the thing. Once I do that, I'll be very happy.

Mike

DocB2

DocB2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had one for 2 weeks now. I went from a Cingulat 7160 and an old Palm ti the i600. I synch with home and work PCs. Love the basic phone and how it interacts with my contact list. Keeps my schedule but would like more flexibility in the Reminder notifications. VERY frustrated by not being able to send email through SMS without sending To: 6245 w/ email address in the Subject line. Also am waiting to see if/when SP 2003 will be offered and how many of the bugs will be fixed, e.g. the callerID issue.

No special software, though just received a hands-free adapter that was built for the i700 (and the Kyocera 7135) that allows me to listen to music on regular headphones (or, using a cassette adapter, through my car stereo) and answer a call should it come through. I would like a music application that allows one to make playlists.

In addition to the headphone adapter I have a 512 SD card and just bought a 256 card. I use these to play music and to transfer home-made wave files to my phone as rings (like the intro to Procol Harum's "Shine on Brightly").I have had one for 2 weeks now. I went from a Cingular 7160 and an old Palm V to the i600. I synch with home and work PCs. Love the basic phone and how it interacts with my contact list. Keeps my schedule but would like more flexibility in the Reminder notifications. VERY frustrated by not being able to send email through SMS without sending To: 6245 w/ email address in the Subject line. Also am waiting to see if/when SP 2003 will be offered and how many of the bugs will be fixed, e.g. the callerID issue.

No special software, though just received a hands-free adapter that was built for the i700 (and the Kyocera 7135) that allows me to listen to music on regular headphones (or, using a cassette adapter, through my car stereo) and answer a call should it come through. I would like a music application that allows one to make playlists.

In addition to the headphone adapter I have a 512 SD card and just bought a 256 card. I use these to play music and to transfer home-made wave files to my phone as rings (like the intro to Procol Harum's "Shine on Brightly").

Whoscalling

Whoscalling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Gadgets and Fine Automobiles
I have an i600, love it except for slow caller ID (276 contacts) hopefully some sort of improvement will happen.

DanLevitan

DanLevitan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I also love my i600. I've just about retired my iPaq 3600. I love having all 1500 contacts for work & my calendar at the touch of a button.

I would like a better case that stays on when you open it. I like bodyglove's products, but nothing for the i600.

Any suggestions for a case would be appreciated.

rasmakonnan

rasmakonnan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I purchased my I600 when it first became available in NYS and thus far am loving it. Unfortunatley it still does not solve my quest for an all in one device :lol: and I'm still lugging around a PPC (Ipaq 4150 which I'm also very fond of). This is primarily due to the many engineering PPC apps I use, for which there are no SP versions available. The lack of notes syncronization is also bothersome, and I'm waiting for smartphonenotes to be made available/compatible with this phone.

I600 Accessories & Software:
Verizon leather case
Sync Cable
Auto Charger
CodeWallet Pro
Resco System Tools
Developer Power Tasks

Not much of a gamer but I'll have to try out the PAC man game someone mentioned previously.

noloco

noloco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
We have 2 i600's that we are looking at using for our company.

rcnacura

rcnacura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have one also. I have a 256 and 512 SD cards. Will be getting the keyboard soon. Have alot of things installed on it.

My i600 Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users