Copyright

Guest DMF

Guest blowdart
"In theory yes" - back to theories..... Copyright - Yes or No ?

≈ - hahaha install the verdana font to find out - its the double ~ character lol ...... like an equals sign but twisted :lol:

ALT+ (insert number) gives u these special characters, check out your pc's character map tool :D

a) There is no broad copyright law, hence the "in theory" statement. You insistance on viewing it as a black and white issue is stupid.

:( Verdana is installed, but your ampersand is escaped, so unless you have a buggy browser the entity number appears.

(As an aside, anyone taking my posts as legal advice is a moron I am not a lawyer)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Guest blowdart
errr, it isnt illegal to rip dvd's cos you may be ripping an uncopyrighted dvd, simple as that

the guide does not tell you how to rip copyrighted films, and so the author cannot get in trouble for it, why do you think these dvd software companies dont get sued? because they do not make the software to be used for illegal purposes, if the user wishes to do so, on their head be it.

Heh. If the DVD is encrypyed the new EU regs say it's illegal to unencrypt.

Bunch of idiots that we have passing laws :roll:

You'll notice that CloneDVD shut down just before the new laws came in, they were Germany based I believe.

So you wont answer the question ....

blowdart - stop skirting it, n getting all agressive, im not, so ur saying youve NEVER downloaded ANYTHING illegal from a fileshare program ... EVER ? Not an MP3 ? Anything ??? if u really are cleaner than clean, youve done well, if you have, then welcome to the tar bucket :lol:

blowdart:

"Heh. If the DVD is encrypyed the new EU regs say it's illegal to unencrypt. "

- Which is my point, thank you.

As for the sig - i didnt edit it, it was fine b4 some1 did though :lol:

Guest blowdart
So you wont answer the question ....  

blowdart - stop skirting it, n getting all agressive, im not, so ur saying youve NEVER downloaded ANYTHING illegal from a fileshare program ... EVER ?  Not an MP3 ? Anything ??? if u really are cleaner than clean, youve done well, if you have, then welcome to the tar bucket :lol:

What is so hard to understand? I CANNOT answer the question. There is NOT a yes or no answer.

And nope, don't have any filesharing software installed. Never downloaded anything I didn't have rights to.

Guest kurtfhouse

DMF, there is no breach going on on this site, and thanks to Midnight there isn't going to be. If you think there is then you think there is, it still doesn't matter, as per my previous point your balls aren't under the mallet so you don't decide what is acceptable and what isn't, its that simple.

The rest of this dispute belongs in a court with people who get paid too much to argue over whats legal and whats not. The site is acting responsibly and I would be amazed if Matt Groening gave a s*** about a home screen or Michael Jackson could care less there is a 20 second wav playing on someones mobile of one of his classics.

Just move on.............................................. :wink:

Guest midnight

look, simple, homescreens YES, ringtones YES (so long as its only a clip with a max of 30 seconds, not the whole song), wav files for other tones YES, freeware and shareware YES, copyrighted software such as apps and games NO, full films (or that deemed too much to be a trailer or short clip) NO

simple enough for you to follow?

by the way - copyright IS a black and white issue, thats why we have extensive laws on it.

I think were back to fair use policy - this is where kazzza made its claim, and we all know how that ended up. Im not fighting for the right to swap copyrighted stuff here tho - merely tell ppl that i have an ftp which they may feel free to swap spv files in :lol: As far as i know i havent broken any laws or any forum rules.

Fast moving thread this isnt it :D

Guest blowdart
copyright IS a black and white issue, thats why we have extensive laws on it.

No it's not. As you can grant varying rights on recordings your ability for use changes with those rights. Laws for sampling and reproduction differ for those in home use. Laws on film differ to those on music. And so on.

As for forum rules, I don't believe it's up to you to say what is acceptable here.

look, simple, homescreens YES, ringtones YES (so long as its only a clip with a max of 30 seconds, not the whole song), wav files for other tones YES, freeware and shareware YES, copyrighted software such as apps and games NO, full films (or that deemed too much to be a trailer or short clip) NO

simple enough for you to follow?

Yes thanks - so it should be no problem for Paul O'Brien to remove said copyrighted material ? - youre calling the shots here, not me, as kurtfhouse rightly says :lol: - and if the board says no warez and no copyright material, then thats how it should be - yes ?

And in reference to me pedling wares - ple tell me what warez im peddling, id love to know :D

Guest midnight

you have broken the rules by saying that its for distribution of spv software and full films, this was the claim in your other post, you also said you do not care about MoDaCo's rules, hence the reason it was deleted (and the fact that you promote such goins on in your Sig has been removed aswell)

"Laws on film differ to those on music. And so on."

- So ur saying theres no music in films ? Interesting.....

"As for forum rules, I don't believe it's up to you to say what is acceptable here."

- Quite right, im only working by your rules here, not mine. surely if you make a rule, the person who made it for us all to follow should follow it himself ? yes ? - And for the record, i havent tried to dictate policy here :D Just stating whats already available information wise here on this very forum :lol:

Midnight - as moderator, accepting that there is copyright material on these forums, dont you think you have a responsibility to do something about that ? Its not ALL guide on decrypting dvd's ya know :(

Guest blowdart
"Laws on film differ to those on music. And so on."

- So ur saying theres no music in films ?  Interesting.....

Did your mother drop you on your head as a child, or did you take lessons to get to be this stupid? :lol:

you also said you do not care about MoDaCo's rules
- if youre going to quote me, plz do it with some accuracy. I said "what modoco wouldnt allow here", that means if u dont allow smoking in ur house then ill go outside n do it - which i did :lol:

you have broken the rules by saying that its for distribution of spv software and full films

- your homesteans arent data, software, freeware ? full films ill grant u right - and as previously stated, there ARE full films available all over the net which ARE free to distribute ... student films for example - ive only broken ur rules if ive mentioned specific titles which are copyrighted ... which i didnt btw :D

Did your mother drop you on your head as a child, or did you take lessons to get to be this stupid?

- here we go with the anger again, just because u cant answer it.... Advocating the lack of music in films, thats your line pal - so whos stupid :lol:

Guest midnight

look, i've told you what is acceptable here and what isnt, these are OUR rules, they may not follow the strict copyright guidelines, as we feel the distribution of ringtones and homescreens is acceptable. If any copyright owner wishes to complain we will remove the offending item, but one thing we wont go near is the duistribution of full films and copyrighted software.

and to quote you.....

Well i wanna find out if ppl will use it 1st - also i may be pissing off the admins here who may ban me - and i dont want that

well, now you know :lol:

Guest blowdart

- here we go with the anger again, just because u cant answer it.... Advocating the lack of music in films, thats your line pal - so whos stupid :lol:

So saying the rules are different between films and music is the same as saying no films are music? If you're really that stupid there's not point in trying to explain anything to you.

Guest midnight

ok, lets see more quotes shall we.....

Admins here wont let you swap full films for SPV because of copyrights - i basicly dont give a crap - swap what ya like
and...

U need the mitac runtimes, they wont allow them to be linked to on this forum, my ftp would, along with a sackload of java bits

now, the mitac java runtimes are copyrighted, so you have mentioned a specific title, and apparently you dont give a crap about the law (or MoDaCo's rules either provioding details how you can do this)

Ppl are using it, the login info is getting around like the java runtimes and u did get pissed off, youre also in the wrong and wont admit it :lol: What you deem aceptable is for the law to decide, not MoDoCo.

we have a chain of command here..... User, Moderator, Site Owner, Law. what happens at the top inevitably works its way down the chain, whatever you think is acceptable. and i think that simply telling ppl a free FTP is availble is more acceptable than distributing copyright rintones :D I dont tell ppl what they can put in it, and i can assure u, anything i deem as unsuitable would not last 5 minutes on the FTP :(

Geez i kinda feel like Kilroy Silk here lol ...... :(

Guest matt_hobson

DMF - would you like a Pneumatic Drill for that hole you are digging?

As much fun as it is seing you get crucified by the mod's, give it a rest.

Well that's my 2 pence worth anyway.

:roll:

Well, which is breaking the law more :lol:

Ppl are using it, the login info is getting around like the java runtimes and u did get pissed off, youre also in the wrong and wont admit it :D What you deem aceptable is for the law to decide, not MoDoCo.

we have a chain of command here..... User, Moderator, Site Owner, Law. what happens at the top inevitably works its way down the chain, whatever you think is acceptable. and i think that simply telling ppl a free FTP is availble is more acceptable than distributing copyright rintones :( I dont tell ppl what they can put in it, and i can assure u, anything i deem as unsuitable would not last 5 minutes on the FTP :(

Geez i kinda feel like Jews & Germans here lol ...... :D

ps: - "Well i wanna find out if ppl will use it 1st - also i may be pissing off the admins here who may ban me - and i dont want that"

- its not like i didnt give u the chance to respond then HAHAH :D

And basicly i dont give a crap - but thats MY acceptable use policy, not yours :(

Anyway, i think ive proved my point, you cant defend copyright violations, you can defend a free service - and the funny part - i defend myself with your rules ... The OPPRESSOR gets Bitten :(

Ok ill leave it now ... ill leave the FTP up though, if u dont mind :( If ppl wanna use it, thats their call, not yours, if it was your service then yes, so as admin to admin, i understand ur defeat on this matter and respect ur attempted defence; although as a moderator of modoco (therefore spokesperson for) i didnt expect u to admit the violations :(

L8r dudes :D - i suspect this topic will be read many times over, i may submit to that new smartphone mag :( since u deem all this stuff acceptable, there shouldnt be a problem right :(

Guest beersoft

just a word to the wise

I wouldn't worry about the wrath of the mods, its the people who would email your abuse people at your isp/upstream bandwith provider that you should worry about.

its quite funny to watch someones dialup/dsl account get canned or server get unpluged and fedexed back because of breaking a AUP.

Later

Owen

"Breaking the law, Breaking the law"

It does work both ways :lol: - I havent broken any AUP yet .... are u suggesting we get lawyers involved ? maybe i send this thread to fact instead ? I dont like threats and i like numbskulls who put words in my mouth to make me look guilty even less. I have the resources if ur game :D Theres only 1 modoco, theres a million ISP's :(

Have a good day :(

Guest midnight

i deleted that post AS SOON AS I FOUND OUT, so, you didnt contact any moderator to ask permission, and you just posted anyway.

I'll repeat, i feel we obey the law by what we deem as a 'fair use' policy, look it up, you'll find it means that the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole, and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work is fair use (in the case of sound clips, 30 seconds, or 10%, whichever is the smaller is fair use), and so is allowed on this website, if any copyright holder wishes to have their work removed please feel free to contact us and we will do so, and contact the author/person of the homescreen/ringtone/software and ask that they contact other sites that are also using their work and ask that it be removed.

and how you can defend your right to make available full films is beyond me, downloading films in itself is bad enough (not likely to get you improsoned, but bad enough to get you fined and one hell of a slap on the wrist), but having an ftp that actively encourages the distribution of films is highly illegal, and WILL get you improsoned, the rules of this forum arent just to protect us (and to a greater extent Paul), they are to protect you aswell.