Why I am beginning to hate my MPX200

Guest jimmymacv

Guest jimmymacv

I love the idea behind the MPX 200. I used to have an XDA 2 but couldn't stomache talking into a shoe-sized phone anymore (among other things that make that phone ridiculous). So I bought the MPX 200 because it enabled me to carry around everything I need in a small beautiful package :lol:

Let me start with what I like about the phone:

1. ringtones (I use Identify after trying all the others unsuccessfully because of an MPX200 flaw that stunts the phone's ability to retrieve the caller ID quick enough)

2. windows media player so I can listen to music and watch videos and make calls on the same device (very cool)

3. great software -- I especially like connected bit's weather program, bible reader, calendar, power tasks, alarm, and IDentify.

4. I LOVE the size of the phone, the shiny black and blue, trim, etc.... I also LOVE the way the phone clicks shut and seems very sturdy. I also LOVE the fact that it has no antenna...

STILL, the MPX 200 is pissing me off more and more each day and here is why:

1. the volume button is flimsy -- I hit it all the time and then have to press DONE to get out of that idiotic screen.

2. when I want to get to the record feature, I have to deal with the earpiece volume a couple of times before I actually get it.

3. the speakerphone SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Worst of ANY phone I have EVER tried. The motorola i90 is the god of cell phone speakerphones and I miss it.

4. the interface is sluggish. I use my phone a LOT. Often I have to wait a second before my keypress is recognized making me press it twice only to see two of the number displayed. even the talk and end buttons have to be fought with -- BIG USABILITY ISSUE FOR A CELL PHONE!!!!

5. the homescreen displays useless information inefficiently. One line to say T-Mobile, one to tell the time, one line to tell the appointment, one line to tell the time of the appointment -- what a waste of space -- what were they thinking??? ---- I want to see my tasks listed on the homescreen. I want to see more than one appointment listed on the homescreen. And I don't want to hear it can't fit because that's BS.

6. voicemail notifications come in the form of SMS's and have to be manually deleted to get rid of the mail icon.

7. I can only use GPRS after turning the phone off/on -- doesn't connect after I've made a voice call.

8. you have to sort through too many menus to get call history (I know I can speed dial the program but refer to the delayed keypress problem above to see why I'm not a fan)

9. SIGNAL IS WEAK and sometimes the call gets twisted into what sounds like modem squealing.

10. The appointments and task list doesn't synchronize properly -- I understand this is a bug.

I hope that the MPX220 will fix most of these problems with a faster processor and SP2003. With the camera and BT it will be the best phone (if they make it as durable, reliable, and loud (speakerphone) as the i90 and come up with a better homescreen that is easier to customize with useful information then it will be the god of cell phones)

Jim

Guest smokedog

Posted from my P900!

Your lucky with the MPx200, as most of the major bugs have been ironed out. My first smartphone with the original SPV and I'm still bitter I didn't get a rebate for being a involuntary bug tester.

Guest Charlie Mouse

My MPX200 doesn't have any of the flaws that yours apparently does apart from the record button adjusting the volume instead of recording.

The speakerphone is spot on. Much better than the orignal SPV and excellent for use in the car.

I never have to wait for the interface to catch up (and its never crashed, unlike my old SPV).

If you dont like the homescreen you can change it for one you do like or make your own.

GPRS connects perfectly everytime.

If you want to make the call history easier to get to organise your start menu a bit better.

Signal strength seems fine to me, never have a problem.

The appointments and tasks sync perfectly everytime.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with mcwarre and Charlie Mouse on this. If you don't like the layout of the homescreen, change it for another one on the phone, or better still, use this forum for what it's meant for and find out how to design your own.

I will agree about it being a bit sluggish though - see if you can free up a bit more memory. Do a search for memory issues and deleting things like the CallerID app and MMS if you don't need them.

Matt.

Guest scott2eyes
6.  voicemail notifications come in the form of SMS's and have to be manually deleted to get rid of the mail icon.
Surely that's to do with how your voicemail is set up on the network- not the phone itself?

7.  I can only use GPRS after turning the phone off/on -- doesn't connect after I've made a voice call.

Again, sounds like something you need to speak to your network about.

8.  you have to sort through too many menus to get call history (I know I can speed dial the program but refer to the delayed keypress problem above to see why I'm not a fan)
Odd- on mine it's on the first page of the Programs menu. Alternatively, press the "phone" button (below the left softkey- the one you hold down for speakerphone.)

9.  SIGNAL IS WEAK and sometimes the call gets twisted into what sounds like modem squealing.

Once again, this sounds like a network issue- I get just as good a signal as on my other phones.

However, in the spirit of the original post, my complaints about the MPx200 are;

1) Still on Smartphone 2002...

2) The lugs that hold the SIM card in place are very delicate and easily broken.

3) The volume dial/memo record dial/button is obtrusive, and often gets caught by mistake (especially when trying to press the button!)

4) No playlist support on the media player, means that videos get played when you're listening to music.

5) If I don't speak directly into the microphone, people often complain that I'm too quiet.

6) The flap that covers the headphone socket breaks off too easily.

7) Whether and how long the phone rings for when connected to Activesync is erratic, and bears little relation to what mode it's in.

Guest awarner [MVP]

scott2eyes agree with you about jimmymacv

sounds like network issues rather than phone issues.

As for your problems scott2eyes

1, yep

2, yep

3, Don't reallly find this for me, but the volume button still works when the flip is closed when it should be disabled.

4, I always use PocketMVP :)

5, Not had that one :?

6, Still got mine at the moment :D

7, I presume you mean when the flip is open? if so then the flip open is actually a different profile again and the ringtone is quieter.

Guest phonesmarts

hey awarner, any ideas on how to get the volume button disabled when the phone is closed?

and scott2eyes:

1. thats too bad...hoping for WM2003!

2. thats what ive been reading, but i have no problems except for the fact that the SIM is a projectile when i pull the lug back

3. not really, the volume just goes up or down...good when u use WMP, and the flip is closed. which brings us to...

4. i use pocket mvp too, you should try it

5. even when i dont speak directly into the microphone, people say i talk to loud

6. i dont know about that, but mine is still on with no trouble

7. usually its the same when the calls comes in, unless, like awarner syas, the flip is open...

the only real problem i have is the USB socket cover...i lost mine and dont know where to find it! its so small...:)

Guest awarner [MVP]
hey awarner, any ideas on how to get the volume button disabled when the phone is closed?

Looking into it at the moment (time to try and kill my phone again :twisted: )

Guest Shuflie

Media player does support playlists, it just doesn't let you create them on the phone. There was an app written shortly after the SPV came out that creates .asf files containing a playlist of your music and you can create shortcuts to these files in your startmenu that let you listen to a praticular album or playlist on its own. You can even use .asf files to allow 'jump points' in larger video/music files.

Guest dolezelk

I do not share your optimistic thoughs about SP2003.

Learn from MS history:

- every new version of OS is slower

- every new version is more complicated for user to handle

- every new version has lots of bugs when it is new

- every new version needs more memory

Yes, there are some new features like multi account Inbox support, .net support, etc...

But at the cost above :?

Guest nu image

I agree with Jimmy about most of his points about the MPX. Let me say that problems not always depend on the Network provider, 'cause I've tried the phone with different operators, findin' the same unfunctions. Here's a question for those who perfectly knows the MPX 200 : how can I set the voicemail number the way I simply have to push #1 to call, sorry about my unperfect english, thanks..

Guest awarner [MVP]
how can I set the voicemail number the way I simply have to push #1 to call, sorry about my unperfect english, thanks..

Go to SettingsTelephonyCall Options in there you can add the voicemail

settings so that if you press and hold the 1 button it dials your voicemail

service.

Guest jimmymacv

Hi all, sorry such a late response to your input.

I don't agree that the SMS voicemail message is my carrier's problem. One of the features of SP2003 is recognition of industry standard voicemail notifications. Does anyone using SP2002 have it so that their message indicator goes ON when a voicemail is recorded and OFF when you hear the new message? I'd be surprised.

I am using T-Mobile and it's a new experience for me so I'm not defending them BUT --- on the issue of GPRS, the phone that I got with the new account sign-up had internet access via GPRS and I didn't have to reset the phone each time I wanted to use it. Only on the MPX 200 am I having this problem. When I ask for T-Mobile's help, they of course say it's the unit and that they don't offer support for the MPX200 in the states.

The signal being weak could very well be the carrier but I'm telling you then T-Mobile SUCKS because I lose calls much more than I did with Nextel.

Which issue does PocketMVP address?? You both listed it under problem #4: Usability and sluggishness... I thought MVP was a media player?

I HOPE 220 settles some of my problems as it introduces new features... I wanted a phone to consolidate my PDA and phone... the MPX200 was supposed to be it but it has so much baggage :)

Jimmy

Guest awarner [MVP]
Does anyone using SP2002 have it so that their message indicator goes ON when a voicemail is recorded and OFF when you hear the new message?  I'd be surprised.

Err yes works for me with Orange but Vodaphone they do not use

voicemail the same way as they phone back with notification instead.

These are the two networks I use at the moment.

I am probably going to put my phone on Ebay as I am so pissed off with the poor reception and battery life. When you depend on a phone for your business this is not acceptable. I have an Orange antenna less than half a mile away and I keep losing calls at home. I never had this with my Nokia 7650.

Thinking about changing to the MPX200 (SPV at the mo) ,but in a few places I've seen the quote "not as feature rich as its rivals" what features if any aren't on the MPX that are on the SPV?

cheers

Guest awarner [MVP]
Thinking about changing to the MPX200 (SPV at the mo) ,but in a few places I've seen the quote "not as feature rich as its rivals" what features if any aren't on the MPX that are on the SPV?

cheers

Err none the MPX has more features than the SPV it's only the E200 that

has more features, ie bluetooth and camera.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Basically the built in software is better ie SIM Manager is far superior

and is actually usable, plus moto have added a few nice touches for example press and hold the home key brings up the quick menu rather than having to press the power button.

More importantly though is the MPX has more memory so it is more

stable and runs faster (faster than the e200)

I hesitated replying to this post as I was about to throw out my phone whilst I drove down the road earlier today when I encountered one of its quirks!

Love about the phone:

1] Shiny black

2] Loud Speaker

3] Game emulators and software available

4] Ring tones that sound like the actual song

5] Plays videos and mp3s

6] Vibrant and colorful screen

7] Well-designed key lay out.

8] Syncs with Outlook!

Hate:

1] Phone freezes sometimes and cannot press button to answer phone.

2] I dial from contacts or manually and phone tells me to check my number over and over and over.

3] Disappearing appointments from phone but not Outlook

4] Does not connect to my laptop or desktop as a modem as of yet (I followed the directions carefully)

5] Annoying windows hourglass circle appears every so often for no apparent reason and gets phone sluggish.

6) Programs running in the background even after exiting them (Call history, Calculator, IE Explorer, Etc.)

7] Professional phone for professional people does not take keyed input notes

8] Phone Freezing after dialing a number and the recharge icon appears then I have to yank out the battery.

9] When phone has no signal for an extended period then it does not Search for service ever again.

10] My phone is ATT branded and I cannot erase or move any silly Mmode or ATT links or programs.

11] Record Memo button just plain bad design.

12] Speakerphone seems to have a random volume level.

13] When phone hibernates even when set not to time out it takes waaaaaaay to long to wake up.

14] No bluetooth

but for all its faults some of them major I still like this phone.